“The Perfect Hotel and the Perfect Hosts” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa

You added Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa to your Saves list
Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Harroun Errachid | Quartier de l'hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #279 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“The Perfect Hotel and the Perfect Hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We were recommended Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa by friends of my wife. We arrived at the hotel late at night were greeted by selfless security staff who took care of our luggage the and showed us to the most beautiful and fragrant reception (the fragrance is called Fleur D' Orange and available from in hotel gift shop). Once we were seated in the reception a chap happy and energetic called Hakim (He greeted us with genuine warmth each day during our 7day stay) came and poured us some mint tea which was much needed after our travel. Within moments we were great welcomed by a young lady called Lubna from the reception who completed the formalities and escorted us personally to the lifts. She was very kind and asked us call reception and ask for her by name if we needed anything.

The walk to our room was enchanting the fragrance of the hotel still lives in my memory. Once we arrived at our room we were very pleased...it was big, clean and well equipped. I am a gadget person and I was shocked to find a BOSE stereo with a docking station. Our luggage was sent to our room within moments of us reaching it. The bathroom was clean and every attention had been payed to all the little details. The bed was queen size and very comfortable, the mini bar was well stocked and they had some complimentary pastries, and water waiting for us. We also had wifi in our room.

The breakfast is there is outstanding and you are spoiled for choice, the staff are of the hotel were not staff at all....the best words to describe them are "PERFECT HOSTS". Each morning two young ladies called "Siham" and "Fatim" would greet us with warmth and a massive smile and help us choose the perfect spot to sit inside or out for breakfast. Our every whim would be their command and they made sure we had a hearty breakfast. The customer relations manager of the Hotel who is called Sarah was there every morning also made a point to come over and greet us and ask us how our stay was and if she could do anything for us.

We had dinner in the in hotel restaurant called L'Orangerie and it was sublime the service was second to none. There is also a bar attached to this restaurant which is fully stocked with the all the best single and double malts. They also have wine expert there who will show you to their wine cellar and allow you to choose your tipple. There is also another bar in the hotel called Palais Darkin Bar and Lounge and we would often spend our afternoon there and plan our next days excursions. The manager who was called "Hind" along with her staff who were so friendly I can rem member their names..."Wassif, Soufian and Nassima".... they would help us plan our trips through the concierge "Khalid".

We have stayed in fine hotels all over the world but this holiday was made perfect because of the staff of this hotel and the hospitality they gave us. One person that really stood out and made us feel like we were special was a receptionist called "Wafa Laaleg", this young lady would greet us every day as if we were not guests in the hotel but as if we were royalty.

I would highly recommend this hotel to all and would urge you to experience their hospitality... I know I will surely stay with them again when I visit Marrakesh...

Thank you all for our lovely delayed Honeymoon ;)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

There are so many lovely things about this hotel - the location is great, waking distance to the medina and loads of restaurants. The pool and the grounds are manicured and pretty, and the breakfast has the widest choice I've seen at a hotel.

However...my friend and I are beginning to think we might be invisible. Any requests for drinks etc are either immediately forgotten or take ages. Even for things we can do ourselves - getting a towel, or helping ourselves to water at breakfast - we are waved away and told someone will come over. They do, but about fifteen minutes later.

It's such a shame that a lovely experience is marred by this frustration.

It's also worth mentioning that the restaurants in the hotel are all expensive options. However the hotel is so conveniently located that there are plenty of other choices nearby.

Stayed November 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We booked this hotel with a view to enjoying a nice relaxing break, as the location and facilities looked great. Sadly though the hotel itself is well located and is lovely, the service really lets it down and ruins the experience and its a shame as all it would have taken is for the staff to communicate when required and be friendly.

The lady that checked us in was cold and uninterested, I had emailed the hotel before to ask for a well located room as this trip was for my husbands birthday, and when I asked her she ignored the question twice. When we were taken up to the room I was sad to see the room had two single beds shoved together and a cot, we are a young couple with no kids and I had booked a kingsize bed, so this was clearly wrong. We went and spoke again to reception and they agreed to move us in a few hours when a room became available.

We went out and came back to get changed for dinner, but found still (after 5 hours) no one had done anything. After another half hour of waiting, which would have been far more if we had not reminded them we had a dinner reservation and they were delaying us, we were finally moved to a ground floor room..they called it an upgrade but I would dispute that.

The rooms are nice enough but a little worn and not what you would expect for a 5*. Small things like the shower head not staying in its holder, makes the stay frustrating. I also did not like the fact the room was on the ground floor and overlooked what I assume was the security/staff entrance..upgrade indeed. We decided not to ask for another room as we were too tired of all the hassle and were running late for our reservations. In hindsight I wish I had as there was a lot of noise very early in the morning, not what you want when you are on a relaxing break. There is also some building work ongoing which is probably what we heard.

The grounds are lovely, as are the bars. As others have mentioned the drinks are expensive, we had lunch by the pool one day which was nice enough. We spent a lot of time by the pool, it is hard to get a decent spot as everyone reserves their beds early in the morning but the staff near the pool do try and help.

Check out - another bad experience, a man started dealing with us then without any explanation proceeded to pick up all the phone calls to reception and totally ignore us for 10 minutes. His colleague then finished with his customer and started to serve us in what is the slowest check out ever.. and as he was doing so other customers waiting to check out were also understandably getting angry, as they were taking so long and the other man was still answering the phone instead of dealing with people.

As we had a late flight we left our luggage and came back to use the courtesy room to change in, but even then there was a mix up. The lady gave me a card to enter the room to change then came back after a few minutes taking it back to say someone was already in there..I dread to think what would have happened if I had just made my way straight to the room when she had given me the key. We asked her to check how long it would be as we had a flight to catch and she didn't get back to us until we asked her again, and again. In the end we gave up waiting and just changed in the toilets.

The hotel itself is great, its the staff and service that totally let it down - simple things like communication and being helpful instead of uninterested, and being more efficient are severely lacking and ruin the experience. My advice would be to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Absolutely fabulous. Loved our stay here. Loved the fountain outside the main entrance. Interrior is very nicely decorated and staff are very friendly. Sofitel breakfasts are generally good but this one was better than others. Will definitely stay here on my next visit to Marrakesh.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
STOKE ON TRENT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

We arrived at the Sofitel to be received by the most welcoming staff, and very efficient Hanan who upgraded our room to a suite. While we enjoyed some mint tea, she arranged everything for us asking Mohamed to guide us to your room. Mohamed assistance was most helpful during our stay. In fact, all the staff were polite, welcoming, hospitable and very efficient. No doubt, if we visit Marrakech again, the Sofitel will be our choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Marrakech
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We've had a nice evening between friends to celebrate a friend's birthday.We were made to feel
very welcome and were exceptionally well looked after throughout our visit the charming AZIZA and JAMAL nothing is too much trouble for them and they could not be more helpful.
To everybody who wants to enjoy an aperitif don't hesitate to go to Palais Darkoum you won't be
disappointed .
Many thanks Aziza and Jamal we see you again GOD willing.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

My Girlfriend and I stayed at this property for a business meeting and some relaxation. The Hotel is beautiful and the grounds are stunning. The service is a little hit or miss. All in all a nice property hand one that I would come back to.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa? Share your experiences!