“Lovely Hotel and Great Staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa

You added Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa to your Saves list
Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rue Harroun Errachid | Quartier de l'hivernage, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Special Offer
MAGNIFIQUE BREAKFAST
Ranked #249 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel and Great Staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at the sofitel in February for 4 days and where impressed by the staff, the location and the restaurants and pool. The staff are very polite and attentive, whilst the restaurant food is delicious and tasty, although very overpriced. The pool was beautiful and there is choice of 2. Location is brilliant in the new city, circa 10 mins from the airport and 15 min walk to the old city square. Only issue is that we had a room where the air con was not working and the portable device did not work well - so good luck in the hotter months.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with working air con.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed here on business/ pleasure in November 2008. Lovely, grand hotel with really attentive staff.
Rooms big and plush and great room service. Pool area very relaxing. Spa treatments also very good.
Hotel only a very short taxi ride from the souks.
As work were paying for the trip dost didn't really come into it however I understand that the hotel is quite expensive. If you have the money to spend however I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed at the lounge and spa side and we didn't regret , it's the modern part of the hotel , the room are spacious and bright with a modern decoration , we had a beautiful pool view . The breakfast buffet was amazing , And there is a beautiful restaurant called orrangery that I would recommend . The most impressive thing about this hotel is the staff , I want to give a special thanks to all the staff of the hotel especially Saad from the reception , farah from the garden and nisreen from the room service who spoke perfect English and was very attentive and helpful .

Room Tip: Rooms with pool view are the best !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at the Sofitel Lounge and Spa in September and I could not have been happier with my choice.

I was travelling alone, and as this was my first visit to Marrakech, I wanted to make sure that I stayed somewhere close to the hustle of the medina, but also removed enough that if I wanted a quiet day to relax by the pool I could do that as well.

The hotel is conveniently located in Hivernage and a short walk from the gates of the medina. It is situated in its own grounds and has two lovely pools. Upon arriving at Marrakech airport I was met by the hotel limo and driven directly to the hotel where I was greeted by the guest services manager. As I arrived slightly earlier than standard check in time, I was shown around the hotel and facilities and invited to relax by the pool while my room was being prepared.

The room itself was spacious, with a HUGE bed and decorated in a Moroccan style. The bathroom was big as well and very clean.

The pools are lovely and the perfect place to chill out. Make sure you get there early though as it can get quite busy, and you might have to get a lounger further away from the pool.

The hotel also boasts a number of restaurants and a nightclub. The food is of a good standard, and not overly expensive. I was also lucky enough to be invited to a private event hosted in the night club, with a special guest of honor...whom I met. All done very well and I greatly enjoyed the night.

All in all the hotel was very good, what you'd expect from an international chain such as Sofitel, and the staff were very attentive. If you are travelling to Marrakech for the first time I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We had a great 5 days at Sofitel Marrakesh. The rooms are large and comfortable with big balconies and the facilities are excellent. Pool heated to 30 deg for winter bathing. The best aspect though was the friendly and attentive staff. We had dim lighting in our room and when we commented on this they put in additional lighting within the hour. My wife had a birthday during our stay and the hotel provided roses, a birthday cake and a tray of goodies. Excellent buffet breakfasts. Can't compliment them too highly. The only reason I do not rate them 5 star is the exorbitant cost of the spa. But you can find alternative facilities down town at half the price. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking one of the pools
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

There are plenty of reviews for this Hotel so I will try and not repeat everything that many of the other reviews mention.

We felt the hotel looked very impressive on arrival and passing through the different areas of the hotel they are all beautifully furnished and the pool area was the best of any hotel we have staid in.

We found the vast majority of staff to be helpful, pleasant and they went out of their way to acknowledge you. Our room was nice although on arrival the electrics weren't working and it took a while to sort it out. The bed was as we have always found a Sofitel amazing and I had slept very well. If you are a light sleeper you may want to take ear plugs other wise you will be woken up early by the prayer calls from the nearby mosque.

We found the breakfast to be great with a wide variety of choice particularly fresh fruit / smoothie wise. However if you are going looking for a full english type of experience you will be disappointed (we weren't).

We felt the location of the Hotel was fine. I would describe the area it is in, as a hotel type district and there are many other 4 and 5 star hotels in the area. The district to me felt relatively new so if you are looking to experience some of the historic side of Marrakech through where you are staying, its probably not for you. It is about a 10 - 15 minute walk to the main square or there are always taxis and horse drawn carriages waiting outside. We experienced very little hassle on leaving the hotel by the main entrance. The Concierge directed us to a cafe just a couple of minutes walk from the hotel called Cafe Blatt that we found to be great for a snack.

As to why I haven't given the hotel a 5 rating? There are a couple of reasons...

Because the hotel is a 5 - star I think we went with very high expectations and these weren't quite met. For example some of the corridor, stairs and lift areas were a bit grubby. I also felt the bathroom was a bit of a let down. It was badly grouted the shower although worked fine had bits missing and the bathroom felt quite basic. All perfectly useable but for a 5 star I think we were looking for a bit more.

There were obviously some wealthy people staying at the hotel, where as for us the break was a bit of a treat therefore we found the food and drink in the Hotel to be very expensive. I fully appreciate and accept that this is what you should expect in a 5 star hotel but we felt uncomfortable paying around £6 for a can of coca cola and around £8.50 for a small beer in the bar.

In summary we enjoyed our stay at the Sofitel and our holiday in Marrakech.

St. Albans, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for my husband's birthday. We stayed here in January for 5 nights. From the moment you walk in, you are welcomed by the lovely and attentive staff which give you a very warm feeling about this place. The pool area is one of the most beautiful ones that I have ever seen, the whole layout is extraordinary. The whole hotel is so clean and has a very fresh smell throughout. We stayed in a Junior Suite with a breathtaking view of the Atlas Mountains. Our suite was a good size and beautiful throughout. Everytime we got back to our room, it was always cleaned for us in the morning and in the evening. Housekeeping did a wonderful job and paid attention to every detail.

The Breakfast buffet was one of the best I have ever had. Do not miss that! There is a very wide and large selection of juices, fruits, pastries, breads, cereals, egg station, the whole breakfast is just amazing!

The spa is so calm and relaxing. Definitely worth going there to spoil yourself!

A special thank you to Siham, Zidane, Ilham, Ibrahim, Farah and Fatima Zahra who made my husband's birthday even more special. Also, to Othman, the Assistant Front Office Manager, who was always willing to help us and go out of his way to make us feel welcome. The hospitality given by the staff is so wonderful and I cannot thank you enough as to how much more special you made our stay with your warm gestures and finishing touches to add to my husband's special day. I would also like to give a very big thank you from me and my husband to the Resident Manager, Antoine for his warm hospitality and everything that he done for us.

We will definitely be coming back here.

Room Tip: Junior Suite on 5th Floor with view of Atlas Mountains
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sofitel Marrakech Lounge and Spa? Share your experiences!