First and foremost, I'll get the obvious things out the way. The hotel was clean, and friendly, and very good value for money (i booked this online, and got a further 20% off). We stayed for 6 nights and 7 days. The checkout time was 12, but as we was leaving that evening, the staff put away our luggage and we were free to continue enjoying the onsite facilities.
The location of this hotel is right next to the main train station in Marrakech, the Gare du Marrakech. Literally. On the other side of the wall of the hotels garden are train tracks and platforms. Don't be put off by this though, this isn't Clapham Junction or Euston. One train comes around every 30mins (that I noticed whilst I was there), if that. The trains were electric (i think?!) so the noise wasn't even loud. I actually found it quite nice to hear the odd train now and then, just to give a sense of location. The trains stop in the evening too.
Location wise - amazing. Again, for a budget hotel, your located IN, what's known as, "New Town". This is basically the modern side of Marrakech as opposed to "Old Town" which is the old-skool side (it's surrounded by walls and is where the main square, Jemaa el-Fnaa, is located along with the Souks). New Town's centre is probably around 10 minute walk turning left out the doors of Ibis, where you will find big brand name shops, amazing bustling restaurants and public gardens. Keep walking down the road for another 15-20 minutes (depends on how fast you walk I guess) and you will hit Old Town. If you don't mind walking, you'll save around 30-40 Dirhams on a taxi!
As for the hotel itself, the service was friendly and courteous. English is down the list of languages spoke in Morocco. It goes Arabic (conversational), French (official), English (totally, totally optional). If you speak English, they will do their very best to speak English back to you. The hotel manager speaks very good english and is very friendly. The hotel waiters will usually attend to you within minutes of sitting down, even if you don't want anything and just want to use the free Wi-fi. The bar food is satisfying if you want a snack, and there are a decent selection of Beers and Soft drinks (remember that alcohol isn't easy to find!).
For a budget hotel, this exceeded my expectations. Room was cleaned every day. Seen some bad reviews: just remember it's a budget hotel! If you plan to spend a lot of your time in a hotel, don't go for a budget hotel. Will be staying there again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 5 km from the airport, between the European district, La Palmeraie, and Jamaa El Fna square, the hotel IBIS Marrakech Centre Gare hotel offers all the amenities for a pleasant holiday: swimming pool, terrace, bar open 24/24 as well as LA TABLE restaurant. The city centre of Marrakech is a few min away on foot and public transport is accessible 20 m away. The 103 rooms available for booking are air-conditioned. You will find tennis courts and golf at 3 and 10 km respectively. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, HRS, Agoda, ACCOR, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Ibis Marrakech Centre Gare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ibis Marrakech Centre Gare Hotel Marrakech
- Accor Moussafir Marrakech Centre Gare