“Idyllic and romantic oasis with style and class” 5 of 5 stars

Dar NanKa
Domaine Freha Route De L'ourika Km 13, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #120 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Idyllic and romantic oasis with style and class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

Dar Nanka is a beautiful guesthouse about 15 minute drive from Marrakech, and feels more like an expensive mansion house than a hotel. The owners, Nancy and Mika provide a welcome and relaxed environment for their guests, putting all emphasis on making you feel right at home. The house is extremely stylish and feels personal due to the many beautiful antiques Nancy has collected. Every room, every area of the guesthouse and gardens feels different and you spend the day roaming from one spot to the next. The gardens are well manicured and feel idyllic. Laze by the pool on the iron sun loungers sipping a cocktail or stay sheltered from the sun reading a book on the plush sofas on one of the three terraces (some of the rooms also have a private terrace with their own sun loungers).

We stayed in room 2 or 'Terre Marrakchi', which was spacious, beautifully decorated (of course), and offered all the usual modern amenities (music, television, hairdryer) as well as a spacious shower room. The bed was very comfortable, something we are often disappointed with, and we also got the morning sun which was lovely. Perhaps the only slight downside was the road noise, from the nearby highway, but quite honestly it didn't bother you much and I suspect it is rather common as many hotels are jotted off the highway outside of Marrakech.

The kitchen deserves a special mention. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there all of the 3 days and absolutely loved it. The menu wasn't anything overly complicated, but everything tasted amazing (especially the tagines and seafood). As Nancy explained to us, quality of the ingredients is very important to them and it really showed. Dinner was always a 3 course menu with two options for each course. Very reasonably priced at 300dh per person (about 30eur). Breakfast (complimentary) was also great, with a variety of fresh juices available and they were happy to cook up our eggs however we liked them. Perhaps one small moan is that there wasn't an English lunch menu available.

We also really enjoyed the spa, about 100m from the main house. There were a variety of treatments available. We both really enjoyed our hammam, massage and facial. A free hammam was included as part of our stay but were only told once starting to pay that we had to go between 10am-2pm to get it for free. Wish they would have told us that at the beginning, though perhaps we should have asked!

All in all, we felt it's the perfect place to get away from it all, soak up some sun and eat lots of good food. In the end we really didn't want to leave! The transfer to Marrakech is also quite reasonable at 150 per person, for exploring the medina.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Dar Nanka was booked as a present and I was not disappointed. The service from arrival at the airport to check-out was excellent. We had 2 rooms - a suite and a standard room - both were tastefully decorated and really comfortable. Although we didn't eat dinner, the breakfast and lunch were good. The owners - Mika and Nancy - along with their team were very attentive and helped arranged dinner reservations and excursions. The grounds and atmosphere are wonderful; however being based slightly outside Marrakech means that you can't just pop into the city centre and taxis can get quite expensive, particularly at night. That said, if you're looking for a great place to stay where you can dip in and out of the hustle and bustle then Dar Nanka is a great choice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This is the only place to stay in Marrakech. The service you recieve from Jawad the owners and their team is on a par with some of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. From the porters to the kitchen they are wonderful so helpfuland polite nothing is to much trouble. I would be amazed if some of the big hotels have not tried to poach Jawad the belgian coulpe and their staff. The atmosphere at dar nanka is wonderful we sat by the pool at night for drinks and also to have breakfast it was magical.
Jawad organised a car with our own driver to take us to the Atlas mountains what a fantastic day our driver was excellent but I would expect nothing less knowing Jawad booked it for us. Two of us had the complimentary hammam gommage and a massage if you were not relaxed before belive me you are so laid back after you will fall over.
As has been said in all the reviews the little touches make the holiday the mobile phone you are given in case you get lost and the wonderful map and time that Jawad took on our first moring to help us get around the Medina, but if you do nothing else have a meal at night cooked by the chef it was supberb i could go on for ever but when you have had a perfect time you want everyone to know about it. thanks again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Long Melford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I spent 4 fantastic nights with a girl friend at Dar Nanka and could not fault it in any way. The service, rooms, food and facilities were impeccable!
I enjoyed my stay so much I have re-booked to return with my husband in October.
Thank you Mika and Nancy for your wonderful hospitality and I agree with a previous review that it was like being in a chic house party!
See you in October guys!!

Room Tip: All rooms were beautiful .....I had a good peep whilst I was there ;-)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Watford,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have just returned from a trip to Morocco and spent our first 3 nights at Dar Nanka. The driver met us at the airport and we were impressed with the gardens and setting of the guesthouse. It is more of the latter than a hotel. A bit like staying at a houseparty . Mika and Nancy were friendly, kind and attentive hosts. They can arrange all sorts of excursions for guests staying for longer periods. Yes, service esp at breakfast can be a little relaxed but it was nothing major . Also , there was no particular dinner time. We eventually learnt to seat ourselves at a table when we were ready and dinner was duly served !
The bedroom was huge and comfortable. The pool area was glorious and we often had it to ourselves even though I think there was full occupation and several families.
Food was delicious , more French-Belgian than Moroccan so again providing a gentle intro to the country . It is a bit far out of Marrakech and a taxi will cost 150dh for a single trip. We hired a car and driver via Mika for 12 hours for 800dh , allowing us to visit the Majorelle Gardens, the chaos of the souks , back to Dar Nanka to relax and then back into the city for a dinner at La Maison Arabe.
On our second day Mika leant us his own bikes and we enjoyed a 30km cycle into the countryside near the villa and had lunch in a golf club restaurant . A great way to explore the local countryside, very peaceful and scenic with the Atlas mountains behind.
I would recommend Dar Nanka for the service from the hosts, the lovely decor and gardens , the great pool and the retreat it provides away from the dust and bustle of the medina.
Excellent way to experience Marrakech with small children as you can go to the centre for brief periods of time and then return to cool , calm European-style comfort.
All in all we were delighted with Dar Nanka. Big thank you to Mika , Nancy and all the lovely staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Dar Nanka is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are stunning - we stayed in their standard double which was anything but standard. Big comfortable bed, large bathroom with rain shower, own sun terrace and tasteful decor throughout. The owners - Mika and Nancy - and all staff are warm and helpful treating you more like their own guests than customers. Highlights include pancakes and fresh orange juice for breakfast outside, lazing by the lovely pool on their day-beds and the Hammam we enjoyed free of charge at their spa. The lunches and dinner we had were also delicious. The only negative is that the hotel is located about 20 mins drive outside Marrakech and most taxi drivers were unsure where it was! Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would highly recommend Dar Nanka.

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had booked a stay here for a few nights but after one night we found out it wasnt all it was meant to be.!! It all looks like 'Homes and Gardens but the service is rubbish. im surprised by the reviews, as now i have been would never reccommend it!
Firstly they mention on internet they have a "complimentary shuttle". Not the case!! To me, that means a complimentary ride into town at designated time. When we asked about this they said, no they dont, BUT IF they are going to the bank, or into town you can catch a lift. Not very professional or truthful. So its 30-35 euros each way to get anywhere, even 10 mins down the road to Bo Zin restaurant.
I had asked on arriving for the next days, some sugar free yoghurt for my diabetic mother ( as moroccan breakfast is all very sweet , many things she cant eat) they agreed but the next morning the girl said Sayeed had FORGOTTEN to go and get it!! Not professional. There seemed to be only one girl serving the food, and it was all haphazard. we would get the tea, and wait ages for milk, then get some bread and wait ages for butter, jam. etc. in the end , my mother ended up going and knocking on the kitchen door!
When we sat by the pool that day, no one came to offer us a drink, we had to get up and go and find someone. They did bring it when we found them , but again, this is not good. There excuse was that they dont like to disturb the guests!!
That night we went out for dinner, most the staff had left at about 5/6 oclock, there was someone making dinner for another couple of guests, (only 3 rooms were occupied when we were there )but as we were leaving the riad, the guy told us that after 10pm NO ONE was there to let us in, and so he gave us the front door key and told us to let ourselves in!! This is definately not offering any sort of service, and once again, on the internet they say there is someone on front desk 24 hrs!! My mpther did not feel happy with this arrangement. ( when I told my travel agent she was shocked!)This is a small hotel, where were the staff??? If i wanted to stay in a private villa and let myself in, I would have !! It was very obvious that the owners were abroad, and maybe this is how they operate.!! Having come from a 5 star riad in the Medina, who cared for its guests, gave service and help, this was a big let down!
On top of this, when we arrived back after 10pm, the other guests kept us awake with music in the lounge area after we had gone to bed!. We had to tolerate this as i wasnt gong to go down in my nightwear to confront other guests, this was for staff to deal with but they werent there.
The next morning as we were not happy with many aspects, having booked what we thought was a top notch riad offering certain criteria, we told them we were leaving. Sayeed, got the owner on the phone to me from abroad, she was very rude and clearly didnt want to hear anything bad about her riad and said i was MAKING tTHIS ALL UP and i had to pay for the entire stay !! She is clearly in denial and very rude! she told me she didnt wish to speak with me anymore and to pass the phone back to Sayeed.
He told me to just pay for one night in cash , not to worry what the owner had said and not to worry my credit card (which they had the details for to make the initial booking) WOULD NOT BE CHARGED. We thanked him, we tipped him for his assistance, and he and the owner blatantly LIED to my face, as between leaving Dar Nanka and getting to my next hotel they charged my credit card, without authorisation!! I paid in cash for full and final settlement for my one night. They are not to be trusted. I have in writing that the credit card is only used in case of a NO SHOW. I was not a no show, I left because the Riad didnt offer what was advertised.

There are so many nice places to stay in Marrakech, ive been 3 or 4 times, just dont bother going here, and defiinately don't give your credit card details, they are all about the money!!

I have stayed in some of the best hotels around the world, The Four Seasons, One & Only, Amanjena, etc etc and smaller riads too and have never ever had this sort of problem. This is the first time ive felt other fellow travellers need to know !

There must be a reason that there are only 20 odd reviews for a hotel that has been open a while!! A little suspect as they mostly seem foreign ones!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nancy P, Propriétaire at Dar NanKa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Madam,

You are free to think that our guest reviews are not true ones, but if our hotel were as bad as you wrote, how in two years would it have been possible among 30 reviews to have : 28 excellents, one good, and only one horrible! yours !!
We have never claimed to have services at level of Amanjena or The Four Seasons... but maybe didn't you notice that our rates were not on the same level as well !
Our discreet friendliness certainly does not correspond to your standard.
So we found the severity of your comment quite unfair for Dar Nanka and all the team.

Best regards,
Nancy & Mika

Been to Dar NanKa? Share your experiences!