“Beautiful Oasis” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #132 of 460 hotels in Marrakech
Long Melford, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Oasis”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I spent 4 fantastic nights with a girl friend at Dar Nanka and could not fault it in any way. The service, rooms, food and facilities were impeccable!
I enjoyed my stay so much I have re-booked to return with my husband in October.
Thank you Mika and Nancy for your wonderful hospitality and I agree with a previous review that it was like being in a chic house party!
See you in October guys!!

Room Tip: All rooms were beautiful .....I had a good peep whilst I was there ;-)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Watford,UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

We have just returned from a trip to Morocco and spent our first 3 nights at Dar Nanka. The driver met us at the airport and we were impressed with the gardens and setting of the guesthouse. It is more of the latter than a hotel. A bit like staying at a houseparty . Mika and Nancy were friendly, kind and attentive hosts. They can arrange all sorts of excursions for guests staying for longer periods. Yes, service esp at breakfast can be a little relaxed but it was nothing major . Also , there was no particular dinner time. We eventually learnt to seat ourselves at a table when we were ready and dinner was duly served !
The bedroom was huge and comfortable. The pool area was glorious and we often had it to ourselves even though I think there was full occupation and several families.
Food was delicious , more French-Belgian than Moroccan so again providing a gentle intro to the country . It is a bit far out of Marrakech and a taxi will cost 150dh for a single trip. We hired a car and driver via Mika for 12 hours for 800dh , allowing us to visit the Majorelle Gardens, the chaos of the souks , back to Dar Nanka to relax and then back into the city for a dinner at La Maison Arabe.
On our second day Mika leant us his own bikes and we enjoyed a 30km cycle into the countryside near the villa and had lunch in a golf club restaurant . A great way to explore the local countryside, very peaceful and scenic with the Atlas mountains behind.
I would recommend Dar Nanka for the service from the hosts, the lovely decor and gardens , the great pool and the retreat it provides away from the dust and bustle of the medina.
Excellent way to experience Marrakech with small children as you can go to the centre for brief periods of time and then return to cool , calm European-style comfort.
All in all we were delighted with Dar Nanka. Big thank you to Mika , Nancy and all the lovely staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

Dar Nanka is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are stunning - we stayed in their standard double which was anything but standard. Big comfortable bed, large bathroom with rain shower, own sun terrace and tasteful decor throughout. The owners - Mika and Nancy - and all staff are warm and helpful treating you more like their own guests than customers. Highlights include pancakes and fresh orange juice for breakfast outside, lazing by the lovely pool on their day-beds and the Hammam we enjoyed free of charge at their spa. The lunches and dinner we had were also delicious. The only negative is that the hotel is located about 20 mins drive outside Marrakech and most taxi drivers were unsure where it was! Overall we had a fantastic holiday and would highly recommend Dar Nanka.

• Stayed April 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had booked a stay here for a few nights but after one night we found out it wasnt all it was meant to be.!! It all looks like 'Homes and Gardens but the service is rubbish. im surprised by the reviews, as now i have been would never reccommend it!
Firstly they mention on internet they have a "complimentary shuttle". Not the case!! To me, that means a complimentary ride into town at designated time. When we asked about this they said, no they dont, BUT IF they are going to the bank, or into town you can catch a lift. Not very professional or truthful. So its 30-35 euros each way to get anywhere, even 10 mins down the road to Bo Zin restaurant.
I had asked on arriving for the next days, some sugar free yoghurt for my diabetic mother ( as moroccan breakfast is all very sweet , many things she cant eat) they agreed but the next morning the girl said Sayeed had FORGOTTEN to go and get it!! Not professional. There seemed to be only one girl serving the food, and it was all haphazard. we would get the tea, and wait ages for milk, then get some bread and wait ages for butter, jam. etc. in the end , my mother ended up going and knocking on the kitchen door!
When we sat by the pool that day, no one came to offer us a drink, we had to get up and go and find someone. They did bring it when we found them , but again, this is not good. There excuse was that they dont like to disturb the guests!!
That night we went out for dinner, most the staff had left at about 5/6 oclock, there was someone making dinner for another couple of guests, (only 3 rooms were occupied when we were there )but as we were leaving the riad, the guy told us that after 10pm NO ONE was there to let us in, and so he gave us the front door key and told us to let ourselves in!! This is definately not offering any sort of service, and once again, on the internet they say there is someone on front desk 24 hrs!! My mpther did not feel happy with this arrangement. ( when I told my travel agent she was shocked!)This is a small hotel, where were the staff??? If i wanted to stay in a private villa and let myself in, I would have !! It was very obvious that the owners were abroad, and maybe this is how they operate.!! Having come from a 5 star riad in the Medina, who cared for its guests, gave service and help, this was a big let down!
On top of this, when we arrived back after 10pm, the other guests kept us awake with music in the lounge area after we had gone to bed!. We had to tolerate this as i wasnt gong to go down in my nightwear to confront other guests, this was for staff to deal with but they werent there.
The next morning as we were not happy with many aspects, having booked what we thought was a top notch riad offering certain criteria, we told them we were leaving. Sayeed, got the owner on the phone to me from abroad, she was very rude and clearly didnt want to hear anything bad about her riad and said i was MAKING tTHIS ALL UP and i had to pay for the entire stay !! She is clearly in denial and very rude! she told me she didnt wish to speak with me anymore and to pass the phone back to Sayeed.
He told me to just pay for one night in cash , not to worry what the owner had said and not to worry my credit card (which they had the details for to make the initial booking) WOULD NOT BE CHARGED. We thanked him, we tipped him for his assistance, and he and the owner blatantly LIED to my face, as between leaving Dar Nanka and getting to my next hotel they charged my credit card, without authorisation!! I paid in cash for full and final settlement for my one night. They are not to be trusted. I have in writing that the credit card is only used in case of a NO SHOW. I was not a no show, I left because the Riad didnt offer what was advertised.

There are so many nice places to stay in Marrakech, ive been 3 or 4 times, just dont bother going here, and defiinately don't give your credit card details, they are all about the money!!

I have stayed in some of the best hotels around the world, The Four Seasons, One & Only, Amanjena, etc etc and smaller riads too and have never ever had this sort of problem. This is the first time ive felt other fellow travellers need to know !

There must be a reason that there are only 20 odd reviews for a hotel that has been open a while!! A little suspect as they mostly seem foreign ones!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Nancy P, Propriétaire at Dar NanKa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Madam,

You are free to think that our guest reviews are not true ones, but if our hotel were as bad as you wrote, how in two years would it have been possible among 30 reviews to have : 28 excellents, one good, and only one horrible! yours !!
We have never claimed to have services at level of Amanjena or The Four Seasons... but maybe didn't you notice that our rates were not on the same level as well !
Our discreet friendliness certainly does not correspond to your standard.
So we found the severity of your comment quite unfair for Dar Nanka and all the team.

Best regards,
Nancy & Mika
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Lovely, luxury guesthouse in a private estate just outside the centre (and souk). If you're after a less noisy experience with the chance to travel in and out of the madness of the souk on your doorstep this is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were picked up from the train station by Sayeed (sorry about spelling) who was very nice. He drove us to Dar Nanka and then continued to show us to our spectacular room.

Well that's what we thought. Loved the music playing loudly as we entered, the terrace was extremely large and furnished with 2 sun beds and a table. The bed and bedding are extremely comfortable and the jacuzzi bathroom and shower area were a dream.

It is a beautiful boutique property and the downstairs is like a grand but comfortable house, with different seating areas, including an intimate bar. We sat everywhere. The fires were lit at night and after dinner we took our digestivs in front of the fire lying on slouchy cushions...home from home.

The outside pool area is very enticing but in February the pool was perishing, we did have a dip and after the shock wears off it was quite good fun to splash around in. There is also a Boules area which we used regularly, a rake would be a good idea to have handy though as it did become rutted from us playing.

You can have any drinks you like around the pool and surrounding areas. Nibbles accompany the alcoholic drinks. The white wine is chilled and good value at approximately £16 a bottle, the red was good too.

We ate here both nights we stayed as we had already stayed in the heart of the Medina. We were very impressed with the quality of the food and the presentation was superb. Simor was a delight, actually all the staff we met were, including Nowell and Sayeed.
Simor was there when needed and discreet when not. We were the only 2 dining on our second night, but it made no difference to us at all.

Breakfast was traditionally Morrocan which I have to say satisfied us up until dinner, with a few nibbles and pastries thrown in along the day.

There is a new spa which has been opened at the end of the garden which is beautifully decorated and worth a visit.

On our last day my husband had a birthday and at 10am the staff called us in as we were playing Boules and sang happy birthday and presented him with pastries , a candle and 2 glasses of champagne. Lovely gesture.

Would I return ...Yes.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A beautiful, stylish, elegant place which is perfect for relaxation and fun; brilliant team of staff, wonderful and very hospitable owners who do all they can to make you feel welcome and part of the family; lovely atmosphere with excellent attention to detail in all areas.

Absolutely loved every minute of it and will definitely return in the near future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dar NanKa? Share your experiences!