“Mix up over booking very poor customer service or care. Owner in this solely for the money !!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riad La Rose Du Desert

You added Riad La Rose Du Desert to your Saves list
Riad La Rose Du Desert
181 Arset Azoual Bab Doukala, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #39 of 191 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Kilkenny, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We had booked 3 nights but contacted the hotel on the email provided by booking.com well in advance to say we would arrive a day later at roughly 9:30pm but would pay in full for the 3 nights.

When we arrived our room had been given away as they hadn't received our email as it was their bosses. Alternative accomodation was provided but the ryad wanted us to pay the cost after agreeing the night before that they would. Very bad customer service. Afraid to loose out on one cent !!

Also upon arrival the guy who directed us from our taxi to the ryad was abusing and shouting at us demanding more money. Joseph allowed him to follow us into the ryad (two females being intimidated) and said to me - are you not going to give him his money.

I would highly recommend Ryad Azza nearby French owners who look after you and treat you with respect. More expensive but worth it ! They will give you lots of helpful advice and ensure you are not ripped off on taxi pickups etc..

Stayed April 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Timisoara, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We stayed in the blue Riad.
The rooms are really nice, Moroccan style, comfortable, clean, nicely decorated, with air conditioning, a lot of places to put your staff (drawers, bedsides, small table) - all you need to have a comfortable stay.
Breakfast was delicious.
The lounge area is really beautiful and welcoming.
We were able to leave our luggage there for a whole day after checkout without any problems.

Location is hard to find, but I guess so are most Riads.

My only complaint, as other reviewer already said, is that the stuff is not reliable nor honest, they proved this on several occasions.
Generally they were friendly and talkative but I don't understand why they were lying when asking for fair indications and sound advice.

1) For picking us up from airport to Medina they asked 30 euros, the airport is around 5 km outside town; We took grand taxi for 25dh per person => 100dh(10 euros) total, and this was not the fair price, normally it would have been a lot cheaper
2) At our arrival taxi dropped us off maybe 100 meters away from the Riad; while trying to find our way several kids wanted to help us find our way, when we got at the Riad one of my friends gave them 1 euro for the 5 min spent with us, but they became really aggresive asking for more money. However, the lady just let the kids inside the Riad and didn't bother to help us, so they didn't leave until they got one more euro, the lady didn't bother at all.

So, all in all I would recommend this Riad but be careful with recommendations from the staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Robbinsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We were very happy with the staff and the accommodations. The staff were eager to attend to any need we had or to answer any questions. We found it very nice that they really wanted to learn about where we came from and to let them practice there English (which is very good by the way). The rooms were great size and comfortable. It's is a very close walk to the Souks and the square. I really enjoyed speaking to the staff. They couldn't have been nicer. The rooftop view is fantastic and we really enjoyed the Morocco lifestyle at the Riad. It was actually an easy walk through the Souks and there are lots of signs to point you back to the Riad. Just make a mental note to look up and to look for specific landmarks. It's pretty easy though. A wonderful time was had by all and we were sad to go. I look forward to going back. Please tell the staff you like Manchester United and I'm sure they will give you extra attention (in a good way). Enjoy.

Room Tip: I would suggest the bigger rooms on the second floor. Also try the local Moroccan wines. They are...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

We were made to feel welcome and all of the staff were both friendly and polite.

Our room was clean, comfortable and well equipped for a Riad in my experience. The roof terrace was very nice and overall I felt that they were undercharging for the standard of the accommodation.

My only quibble would be the rather dull breakfast - okay for two days but after that was a little hard work - I would have been more than happy to pay a couple of extra pounds per night for a bigger more varied breakfast.

I would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend to others staying in Marrakech.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Droitwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

We arrived here after a long journey followed by a mix up at another Riad we had booked a room in so as you can imagine not in the best mood. We were offered mint tea on arrival and the welcoming and friendly staff soon made our moods improve. Our room was well decorated, clean and comfortable. We only stayed one night as we were flying home the next day but I would happily have stayed at this Riad longer.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

The hotel was open two years ago and well maintained. The room is very well decorated, clean and comfortable. The staff, Nodin and Asma are friendly and can speak fluent English and French. They have a well equipped kitchen and may use it for self-cooking if no dinner has to prepare for guests. I use mny mobile phont GPS Apps to locate the hotel with no problem. My taxi dropped us off in a junction. We walked about 5 mins to get to the hotel. Just straight into the small road after passing some shops of the food market by walk. The hotel is just a few block in the left hand side when getting to a small mosque at the end. They have another block in the right but staff are mostly stationed in the left block.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

As accommodation is very cheap in Morocco I was kind of afraid about what I would get (crappy?). No worries here, as it was very pretty and clean. Beautiful rooms in a traditional Moroccan style. Very quiet, so I had a good night rest. I was missing the daylight though, as the Moroccan houses are built with an open roof and a little 'quare' in the middle, with the rooms looking out on te middle... it made the rooms dark and fresh air was lacking. But for that kind of money, you really get more than you pay for. So strongly recommended!

The breakfast was basic, but oke. They serve tea when you arrive, really delicious. Location is perfect, smack-bam in the Medina and with Google Maps easy to find.

The staff is very friendly....... but..... not very honest, like most of the people in Marrakesh unfortunately. I'm a manager in a hotel myself and I would do everything for our guests to have an amazing time, and give them the best advice. So when I ask how much a specific taxi ride costs of about 3KM, it's very disappointing when they tell me 300 dirham, while in fact it cost me 35 dirham on the street. Also, they were 'happy to arrange' a taxi ride to the airport for 20 euro's (220 dirham). Come on, it's 7KM, it's Morocco not Europe, we could arrange it ourselves for less then half of the price and every taxi driver will take the effort to pick you up at the riad. As we were their guests and were therefore already paying them money, why trying to squeeze out our wallets by ripping us off? We loved the country, but it's very sad that it's basically impossible to have a nice conversation with a local, as they see you as a walking wallet and not as a person.

This is completely different in the mountains by the way, so I advice to go there! Stunning too. (And arrange your own transport, don't ask the riad, it cost us 65 dirham to go all the way to Imlil).

Room Tip: Try to go to the building were the check-in office is NOT located. There people ring the door all th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad La Rose Du Desert? Share your experiences!