“Very disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #77 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We are still guests at this hotel whilst I am writing this review and could not be more disappointed. It is not true (previous review and the hotel website) to say that all rooms have a private outdoor space and a jacuzzi. On arrival at this hotel we were shown to room 24 which has neither. After many excuses and a delay of 2 hours we were moved to a room with a jacuzzi (room 108) but our friends were not (room 107). Neither room is spacious and the hotel website photographs are misleading. If you do not have a private pool there is only one swimming pool that is heated for the other 30 rooms to share. It is tiny (one of the private villa pools). There are no toilet facilities available near it (because the villa to which is belongs is usually locked) and there is no-one providing any kind of service to it. (Drinks or food). The other pools are unheated and unusable.
There is one restaurant that is open and it is the same menu every night (the 'Winter menu'). With a choice of 4 starters and 4 main dishes (if you do not want fish) it is extremely limited. However the quality of food is very good but very expensive at over £30 per person for each course. The restaurant is supposed to be 'non smoking' but smoking is openly tolerated. Room service is extortionately expensive at nearly £30 for a caesar salad and more than £5 for a can of coke and £10 for a Kronenbourg beer from the minibar. The hotel is well away from any other restaurants so you are trapped and we feel resentful of the prices.
The hotel seems to run on a limited budget and this is apparent everywhere from the failure to heat the majority of the pools, to the 'limit of 2 teabags per person and 2 cubes of sugar' in the room. It also means that there are too few staff to provide services. Morning service to the room is still awaited at lunch time as I write this, and when we get back from dinner at 10.15pm they are just starting to do their 'turn down' service. Our friends waited until 11pm and gave up. The hotel is stylish (lots of marble walkways) but in the rain these are unusable as they are so slippery. A previous review said that transportation around the resort is free: it is essential but you have to wait a long time for it to arrive when it is raining. Another example of style over substance is the gym which has Murano chandaliers and a marble floor but we never once saw the advertised fitness trainer and it is impossible to exercise on a marble floor that is slippery! A previous review had talked about the ants in the bedroom, our room is clean but smells. The toilets smell badly and the whole room smells of smoke. I was truly amazed to read the other recent reviews of this hotel and felt compelled to share our disappointing experience. I would summarise by saying that this hotel has had a huge capital investment to create it and it is only 10 months old but it is full of teething problems and the service falls way below that expected of a five star hotel. If you are not booked into one of the private pool accommodations you will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Get written confirmation of the facilities of your room in advance. The website says that deluxe ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurent B, Directeur général at Palais Namaskar, responded to this review, March 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your comment regarding your recent stay at Palais Namaskar, It was a pleasure to discuss with you directly all relevant points.

I truly appreciate your feedback and we can however assure you that we will do our utmost to ensure you always have a seamless stay.

I hope we can welcome you back in the near future and feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to arrange the reservation for you.

Yours most sincerely,

219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We travelled to Morocco for the first time ever....a family of 6 with four children (our youngest is now 9 years old).

We did not know what to expect, but from the moment we arrived at the airport when the driver met us to take us to the hotel to the time we left, it was an absolutely amazing and outstanding holiday. The hotel itself was an ideal location for a total break, with its tranquility, serenity and every detail was taken care of. The people are efficient, gentle and subtle. They genuinely want you to have a great relaxing break away from the real world....nothing was too much trouble. If you are wanting a holiday where you go out every night partying at clubs, you can do it there as your every need will be accommodated. We did not want to do that, as top of our list as a family was to relax, chill.....soak up Palais Namaskar's unique atmosphere, food, spa etc. The quad biking and camel trip was amazing. The trip to the Souks is a must do, but make sure you get the list of recommended shops and souk merchants from the concierge. It is also best to ask the hotel to arrange a guide. We were only there 5 days and 6 nights, but we are already planning another trip back to the Palais Namaskar for a big birthday celebration of one of our family members.

Room Tip: All the rooms, suites and palaces are incredible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment regarding your recent stay at Palais Namaskar.
I am glad that you had a wonderful time with us and that you were pleased with the services provided by our team. I will take great pleasure in sharing your compliments with all of them.

Please rest assured It’s a pleasure for us to welcome you back and feel free to contact me for any request

Truly Yours,
Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is not a hotel. As the name says, it's a palace. Reviews here have a 200 character minimum, but there's just nothing to express this level of luxury, comfort and relaxation. The experience is out of this world.... from the large door to your "room", to the lovely paved pathways, from the lush green vegetation all around to the numerous ornamental pools... there bathroom opened up to small gardens at each end... with olive trees! All rooms have gardens with at least a jacuzzi... I had the privilege of a private heated swimming pool.

Don't laugh when they give you a map of the place with your room key. Take it. You'll need it. This "hotel" is huge! Also, don't be shy to call front desk for transportation. It's free, fun (golf carts), and much needed if you don't want to walk. Tho I advise you to take long walks because they're totally worth it.

There is nothing, nothing I can say that would do justice to this place. It's fit for kings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Laurent B, Directeur général at Palais Namaskar, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your fantastic review and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Palais Namaskar your comments mean a lot to us and we shared with great pleasure your feedback with our teams.

I hope we can welcome you soon at Palais Namaskar.

Yours most sincerely,

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I had a 4 night 5 day stay at this truly outstanding hotel. I really do not have the words to do it justice. The service is above contestation, the food... well let’s just say I would kidnap the chef as the man is quite simply a genius. The design and landscaping create the intent of what the hotel wishes to deliver and that vision is not compromised in any way by the staff who (and I don’t say this lightly) all delivered beyond my expectations (which is truly not an easy thing to do) From the senior management right down to the team that tend the grounds each day, the hospitality and competency is exceptional.
What Mr Frederic Picard and his team are delivering on a daily basis is a standard by which all hotels of this calibre should deliver and unfortunately many come up short. In fact I think you will be hard pressed to find a similar establishment that delivers with such consistency to excellence across all parts of the business.
I could go on and on sing the praises of my stay but I would not wish to deprive you of the opportunity to discover all the aspects that this gem has to offer for yourself.
If you’re looking for the ultimate relaxing break, with some of the most welcoming, well trained, dedicated, attentive and managed hotel staff you will every interact with then look no further.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We would like to sincerely thank you for taking time to note your warm impression with Le Palais Namaskar on tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Palais Namaskar,your comments mean a lot to us and that we shared with great pleasure your feedback with our teams.

Please rest assured that it would be my personal pleasure to welcoming you again at Le Palais Namaskar in the near future.

Yours most sincerely
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

When you have had the opportunity to enjoy some of the world's best hotels, it takes something amazing to make you go 'wow!' But Palais Namaskar manages it!

About 30 mins from the airport and 20 mins from The Medina, it is just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech to ensure a quiet break - and from the moment you arrive you know it's going to be something special.

Palais Namaskar is set over a vast, beautifully landscaped area with huge water features providing a perfect, calm setting. It would be easy to avoid seeing any other guests.

The rooms are special, providing that perfect combination of contemporary with Moroccan traditional. We had a standard room, which was absolutely perfect - cleverly designed with a large main room a substantial bathroom. Outside is another world: We had a circular heated pool set in its own water feature. Peace and tranquillity - heaven! Breakfast on our own beautiful terrace each morning was the stuff of dreams.

The staff were, as you would expect in this class of hotel, polite and efficient. Except that here, their courtesy and kindness went a step beyond. Absolutely nothing was too much trouble and delivered with a genuine friendliness that helped make our stay special.

The restaurant was modern and trendy but in a unique Moroccan way. Food was French style with a Moroccan twist. The menu, however, was quite limited and after a couple of days we had exhausted our choices, but food quality was outstanding.

The real surprise? Whisper it - but for a hotel of this exceptional quality - and by international standards, it was particularly good value!

Apparently Palais Namaskar has been awarded the accolade of 'Best Hotel in Morocco 2013' and it’s easy to see why. Book without hesitation!

Room Tip: All rooms are amazing!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to note your warm impression with Le Palais Namaskar
Reading such a great report on our service is always a real pleasure.

I was also delighted to read that you liked our product & services. I have passed on your kind words to the brilliant team and i hope to personally welcome you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit to arrange the reservation for you.

Kind Regards,
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I went to this hotel in December and I was totally blown away.
The hotel is very new and you can notice how well it was done.
We had a huge suite (we were kindly upgraded) with a heated swimming pool (not a plunge pool but a real swimming pool).
The entrance of the hotel is not spectacular however as soon as you arrive the guest relation manager takes you to your suite and does the check in insite your suite.
All the amenties were excellent (Nespresso in the room and Bulgari bathroom amenities).
Our suite was immense... There was a huge living/dining room with a fire place which made the place extremely romantic. The bed was probably the most comfortable I have slept in!
We also had a huge terrace with a swimming pool in excellent conditions.
Our bedroom was very large and was overlooking a patio garden.
The bathroom had a tub as well as a double shower which was also very large!
There was a walking closet with details like shoe boxes and litle pouches for your belongings.

We had one dinner and in our room and I must admit I was pretty chuffed by the room service! It was beyond good! The staff was very friendly but also very discreet....
The restaurant is also very nice, cosy and there are very good dj's in the evening - there was a huge fire place in the middle of the restaurant however it's a shame that the restaurant is in the same look and feel as the rooms.
Anyway the food is good.
Breakfast is not buffet which makes it really chic!

The gym is probably the best I have ever seen - excellent music and sound system, excellent equipement and cherry on the cake in the fridge there are cold wet towels for once you have finished exercizing.

The only "black" cloud to the picture if I had to find something is the swimming pool which is in the middle of the restaurant as well as the poor lighting at night (it is very dark). Appart from that everything else is just perfect.

I definitely recommend this jewel which is pure luxury and excellent quality!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I was delighted that we met your expecations
I appreciate the time you took to share your impressions.

We truly appreciate your fidelity and support of Palais Namaskar, and no effort will be spared to keep your trust in us. We can assure you that we will continue to do our utmost to ensure you always have a seamless stay.

Please rest assured that it would be my personal pleasure to welcoming you at Le Palais Namaskar in the near future.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I went solo for 3 days mid-Jan. It's an oasis of peace with wonderful gardens, beautifully maintained. Stunning decor (lovely chandeliers everywhere & small, but well equipped gym. Restaurant Staff were wonderful & the service was faultless throughout the hotel. Rooms vary, but all are beautiful. Surrounding area is disappointing, but who needs to leave the hotel? Everything you need is there for a sophisticated, relaxing stay. It was too cold to peruse the outside bar, but I've booked at the beginning of March for another 3 days when I'm told it will be
warmer & the bar will be in full swing. Can't wait!

Room Tip: Take your best clothes!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Palais Namaskar? Share your experiences!