“Cockroach & Ant problem...and poor service let this beautiful resort down.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort and Spa

You added Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort and Spa to your Saves list
Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort and Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km 6 Route de Fes | BP 658 Gueliz, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #137 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Cockroach & Ant problem...and poor service let this beautiful resort down.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Having just returned from a good holiday to Marrakech, Its hard to write a bad review. However, objectively the accommodation and service were the only thing that I was disappointed by.

Good Stuff

The hotel complex is beautiful, lovely design, the Rhiad restaurant is stunning inside. The lake with turtles is gorgeous to walk around. The swimming pool is perfect for sunbathing in, as the there is a very shallow part (some tiles missing. .which hurt your feet ).

New sun loungers and cushions arrived during our stay..very comfortable. Always loads of loungers available and plenty of space around two pools or the lake.

The food at breakfast, whilst unchanging by the day is varied and of good quality. The two men making omlettes are friendly and helpful.

The evening meals either buffet or a la carte are very good. Albeit expensive.

Our suite was lovely, two bathrooms, dressing room.

Bad Stuff

Staff Attitude, starting with reception staff is appalling! Never experienced such poor service. Everything is too much trouble and their demeanour is aloof, unfriendly, arrogant and an embarrassment to the 5 star rating of the hotel.

Reception staff seemed to inconsistently offer a welcome glass of orange...we didn't receive any. They offered no introduction to the hotel, details of where and when to get breakfast. I asked for a map and for info about getting to the main square, I was never told about the free shuttle bus. I was told I could pay 200D for a taxi... even though they are 100-120 D straight outside the hotel. The staff were so abrupt and all questions were clearly an inconvenience. Reception staff are desperately in need of retraining or moving to a non customer facing role.

Staff in the restaurants look bored and miserable, no smiles or upbeat attitudes. Getting coffee each morning was a daily challenge... the same lady would walk past us with a jug of coffee every morning. Not once was it offered, without us having to ask her.

The room was infested with ants, in both bathrooms, lounge, bedroom and climbing the walls. Found ants under pillows, even in the toilet. We were horrified! Having stayed in lots of hotels in extremely hot climates, we have never experienced such a problem. When we called reception, a maid was sent with a brush to sweep up the ants!!! Obviously that did nothing! Our whole stay was blighted by this. I didn't want to spend any time in the room. I struggled to sleep as I found ants crawling across the bed...who could rest !

Worse was to come with the discovery 3 nights in a row of cockroaches in the room. I could have cried, it made my skin crawl. Reception did nothing. .its a hot climate and must have come in when we opened the patio doors! We didn't open them once during our stay! The patios were both dark and overlooked the road!

I know its a hot country and I expect to see this kind of bugs outside, but not in my suite in a 5 star hotel. The fact no ant powder or bug killer is used, shows the apathy of the staff . Speaking to other guests it seems ants are a huge problem in all ground floor rooms and some upper. Cockroaches were a problem for at least two other couples.

Ants are also inside the buffet restaurant running around the floor, very unhygienic.

Our room didn't have the sheets changed at all during our stay. Towels kept being refolded even after putting them on the floor and discarding as dirty!

Drinks by the pool are very expensive. A diet coke is about £3.50 and water tge same.

Every day the by the pool the same cd played and you could tell the time by the song that was playing. ..some variety can't be too much to ask!

The location of the hotel makes it very expensive to get around. We spent 300d per day on a return journey in the evening to the main square. There is nothing around the hotel, shops etc.

In summary the hotel is beautiful, and the experience could be amazing and 5 star. As it is, id say it couldn't be considered 5 star, more like 3 star. For the resort to reach 5 star standards, I believe the hotel management in Paris need to send in an experienced team to address the staff training issues and show local management how to deal with customers. The ambience in the hotel is sombre and soulless. I believe this is all down to the unhappiness in which staff seem to perform their jobs. There is no smiling, no upbeat attitudes and this really impacts guests. The bars are very quiet in the evening as theirs no atmosphere!

So whilst I loved the hotel itself, I wouldn't return as there are too many problems. Bugs and rude staff can easily be addressed, I just hope they make a concerted effort to improve these things as its a waste of a beautiful hotel.

I have rated the hotel 3/5 somewhat generously, could have easily justified 2/5. I would implore anyone looking for a hotel in Marrakech to think very carefully before opting for this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Turkish first
Clacton-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks holiday to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. I have nothing but praise for this beautiful Hotel. As you entre reception you are welcomed by the scent of orange blossom, this scent is will forever remind me of the Pullman and is mirrored in all the complimentary toiletries.
We stayed on an All Inclusive basis and would recommend this option to get the most from your stay here as both food and drink can be pricey (approx. £24 per head for the dinner buffet, £5 for a small bottle of beer).
Food here was plentiful, fresh and very tasty; their was always loads of variety for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Some people had complained that food was 'samey' but we found something different at every service.
The Superior rooms were a little small but had everything you could need and were clean. The beds are so comfortable with lovely fresh white linen and fluffy towels everyday. Bathrobes and slippers were a nice touch as is the daily supply complimentary mineral water. Air Con keeps rooms lovely and cool which is very welcome.
The buildings and grounds are simply beautiful and staff were constantly cleaning and tending to them.
The Pool is clean and they have the best sunbeds ever.
I am surprised by others comments about service. We found all the staff; from the cleaners to the pool boys, from the bar tender to the waiting staff and the reception staff too the guy who drove us to our room polite, friendly and very helpful. Neither of us speak French but did not find language caused a barrier. Adir in the bar was happy to teach us some simple words/phrases in Arabic and staff in the restaurant seemed to really appreciate and praise or efforts when we tried these out on them.
The shuttle bus does not take you all the way to the main square, but this did not appear a closely guarded secret. We did not find this a problem and local taxi's meet the bus and will take you pretty much anywhere you want to go in the medina for 20 Dirham (approx. £1.60). A taxi from the hotel to the medina and vice versa cost 150 Dirham (approx. £12) and we always found them available at the hotel gates.
I just want to thank all the staff at the Pullman Marrakech for an amazing holiday. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough and look forward to returning very soon I hope.

Room Tip: Choose a first floor room as some of the ground floor ones did complain of ants. We stayed in 227 an...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PullmanMarrakech, General Manager at Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful words. Your support and kindness encourage us to keep going in the same direction. We hope to see you again very soon!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our 'mini moon' on the 1st of July.
The hotel was spotless, they very kindly upgraded us to a bigger room as he informed them we were on honeymoon, which was so very kind.
The rooms were lovely, not big, but very clean, great toilettries, robes, towels, large bed, super.
We were staying half board (booked deal through travelzoo) breakfast and dinner was lovely, great selection, different options every night. We had to pay for our drinks and our lunch - drinks could be expensive if you weren't careful - we made sure and asked for the drinks menu each time and actually it wasn't too pricey at all when we did this (learnt from other trip advisor reviews).
The pool area was brilliant, huge brollies, big beds, plenty of space, however I do imagine if we were there when the hotel was busier it might have been harder to get loungers etc.
We used the free shuttle bus, easy enough to get a seat as we booked a day before using it - they do drop you a mile from the medina and encourage you to get a taxi in from there but we just followed another couple who had been before, easy to walk in and find the medina once you know how.
The olive groves were beautiful and so peaceful, perfect location for 4 days unwinding after our wedding.
Thank you very much.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PullmanMarrakech, General Manager at Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit at The Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort & Spa. We hope that you had a pleasant return journey!

We appreciate the time you took to provide us with your generous thoughts and comments and we look forward to providing you exceptional service the next time you visit.

Kind regards,
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Travelling solo as a woman to Marrakech I was a bit nervous about taking a taxi by myself to this hotel. I did try and arrange a driver from the hotel to pick me up. This proved to be a taxing process of having to email for one. I never got a response from my email and they wouldn't help me over the phone. Dissapointed in that. I will say once I arrived however (safely) I was treated very well. The check in process was very slow but you will soon learn that everything in Marrakech is. I was taken by golf cart to my lovely modern and very clean room. The room was perfect with a nice garden view or desert more like which was sandy and and some cactuses. Very pleasant and I would certainly stay here again should I ever go back to Marrakech.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments.So much appreciated by the management and the team.

We certainly are looking forward to your next stay with us!

Magny-le-Hongre, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Pullman Marrakech end of April / beginning of May 2013 with our 5-year old daughter and had a great time. thanks to the A-club loyalty card, we were upgraded from the deluxe room we had booked to a suite for 5 of the 6 nights we stayed, which was a fantastic surprise. The suite was spacious and cleaned well every day, and the deluxe room was above our expectations. We like the design and interior decoration style very much - classic but modern. The food was very good generally speaking, as we ate for 5 nights in the main buffet restaurant which had a lot of choice. We ate on one occasion in the specialty restaurant but the service was extremely slow, a real shame as we felt that this brought our overall f & b experience down... The pool area was excellent, lots of room for all the guests with sunbeds, loungers and relaxation areas, even on the busy holiday weekend when the hotel was full. Once again, hats off to the designer, we like it so much that we were inspired by the garden planting schemes for our own garden! Our daughter used the kids club several times and was able to make pottery, Moroccan cakes and lots of other activities. She really enjoyed it and regularly talks about it now (3 months later). All in all, a really good time was had by all. To anyone who is considering a stay at this hotel, we would just advise you to go with an open mind and accept differences in expectations on service culture - I am well travelled and know not to expect the same type of service from one country and culture to another. I would congratulate to staff of the hotel for making our family feel so welcome, we would definitely return if we had the opportunity.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights with my friend. It was a packaged deal for £250 including flights, so because it was so cheap, I would pay that price again, but for full price… I would NEVER pay that kind of money. This is meant to be a 5 star hotel but the staff are absolutely useless.
When we arrived, we were not shown around the hotel or even talked through anything, the lady just literally said the restaurant for Breakfast was round the corner and that was it. The lady at reception was horrible. They also did not have ANY plug ADAPTERS to give us, despite this being a 5 star hotel, when I asked she just said they have a 4-5 plugs for all of their rooms which is just ridiculous and that people just keep them, she made no effort to get me one to help me, so I ended up going into new town and buying one myself!
The rooms were also so small but very clean, the shower was nice as it was a walk-in but the water took so long to get warm and the balcony door never closed and we were on the ground floor! I made a complaint, but yet nothing was done about it! Thank god no one broke in! And in the rooms there is no way to contact reception so you’ve got to walk all the way to reception if you need anything!
There is also not much evening entertainment in the hotel which is boring and not many free services or experiences to offer their guests. The breakfast is absolutely terrible! I have been to a lot of 4 and 5 star hotels around the world and I can honestly say this was the worst I’ve had! I could not believe it! There is no choice! On the first day I tried an omelette which the lady made for me fresh on the spot, I took it to my seat only to see it wasn’t cooked and it was still runny. There are also no labels on the food so you don’t know what your eating! When I tried to ask the lady making the omelettes what the ingredients were she couldn’t even tell me! So not good for people that are allergic to anything.
The only good thing about this hotel is that it has free WiFi and a free shuttle (which by the way you have to renew every hour!) that takes you to the midpoint of new town and old town which is so convenient and saved us so much money! The drivers were also so friendly which was a change! The swimming pool was so nice, it’s a shame its so small and there’s one for adults but it was also quite dangerous as getting into the pool from shallow to deep was so slippery if you don’t hang onto the few bars!
The spa was lovely! 5 stars I would give it! We booked a hammam treatment and the lady said we had to do it separate so we booked separate treatments and at my appointment the other lady said we could go together to I had to run to get my friend by the pool which wasted time. Then we ended up in an amazing sauna for 10 mins together and separately scrubbed by this lady in a wet room. After waiting for my friend to finish her scrub we waited for a good half an hour and were offered some tea and water while we relaxed expecting the actual hammam treatment, we then stopped a lady to ask if the treatment was done as she said that we were free to go, which was ridiculous before 1) it wasn’t the right treatment and 2) the communication is ridicule! So overpriced too!
When it came to our last day there were two men outside the breakfast restaurant and they had a few snakes including a cobra. They called us over and we walked past, they then came to get us and guided us over to their snakes, the gentlemen grabbed my camera and my friends phone and started taking pictures of us near the snakes and getting us to pose near the snakes, we were so confused and felt bombarded by them so we got them to stop and they put one hand over our heads and started wishing us a good life and good health and a good job etc. then as we said thank you read to go to the pool, they grabbed us and demanded money!!! I felt bad so I asked how much as they said 400 dirhams which is ridiculous!!!!! We were forced to give them a bit of money. They were so rude and horrible we were so annoyed. I don’t think the hotel should allow these people into the hotel, because if I paid to have a relaxing holiday in the resort, I would not like people like that in my face then demanding for money, if I wanted that, I would stay at a hotel in the city and go out everyday. Fair enough, its only one day a week, but its not right and its not fair especially as they demand and force you to give them so much money in return. I could not believe these people and how the hotel could allow these people to bother their guests!
They also did not help us with our baggage when leaving, we couldn’t even be bothered to complain again at this stage, we just had to carry them to reception ourselves and check out and even at check out they shocked us with paying taxes per night at the hotel which again we were unaware of! I can honestly say I can count the amount of friendly people in that hotel on one hand; one guy at reception and the guys by the pool. I wouldn't come back to this hotel unless it was offering the same promotion for less!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Good:
1. Stunning hotel
2. Daily cleaning of room
3. Good sized pool

The Bad:
1. Ants crawling all over the floor of the bedroom & bathroom
2. Safe in bedroom didn't work
3. Fridge didn't work

The Ugly :
1. Awful service from hotel staff
2. Very expensive dinner (£24 per head for buffet style dinner)

Having just returned from a 5 night stay at the Pullman, I feel very strongly about informing others who are considering staying at this hotel. The service provided by this hotel is certainly not 5*! If you speak English rather than Arabic or French, the staff at this hotel are extremely unfriendly and unhelpful even though they speak and understand English. Having arrived just after lunchtime, we wanted to have a quick snack before heading out to the medina. The manager of the restaurant told us that the only food available was the lunch buffet which was £24 per head. They told us that there was no other food available. The next day we found that there is a poolside cafe which is much cheaper and served lunch all afternoon.

We informed the receptionists that we wanted to use the shuttle bus to go to the medina. We were told that we would be dropped off near the square. At no point did either receptionist offer us a map of the city which we later found out they had several copies of stored behind the counter. The driver of the shuttle dropped us off at a point nowhere near the square (we were unaware of this until he had driven away). This also meant that we had no idea where the pick-up point was later in the evening. After 3 hours of walking around in back streets of the medina in 40 degrees of heat and being harassed and given the wrong directions by the locals, we paid a cab driver a lot more money than the actual price to get us out of the medina and take us back to the hotel. When we informed the receptionist of where the driver had dropped us off and the fact that it had ruined our entire first day in marrakech we were greeted with a steely smile, no apology and no offer of any discounted dinner to apologise for their error.

My boyfriend had forgotten his iPhone charger and the room manual stated that reception held chargers for all kinds of phones for guests to borrow. Upon request for a charger, we had a very hostile response that the hotel didn't have that kind of charger.

Breakfast there was plenty of although it wasn't the best I've ever had. Breakfast begins at 7am, however if you are going on an early morning excursion between 7-8am, don't expect all breakfast items to be set out for you. In fact, there's hardly any staff on hand to assist. The tea/coffee is not easily accessible. When the staff are present, they are very selective as to whom they will offer tea/coffee to which seems to sum up the attitude of most of the staff at this hotel.

Overall not a pleasant stay. We would advise the management of this hotel that a 5* rating only comes with being friendly, helpful and attentive towards your guests. Definitely not worth the money!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
PullmanMarrakech, General Manager at Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback as it gives us the opportunity to follow up on your experience and enhance our quality of service.
I am extremely concerned to read the various experiences you had encountered and would like to assure you that these are not at all reflective of the usual service standards we provide our guests here at the Pullman Marrakech Palmeraie Resort & Spa. Be assured your observations have been addressed.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back on a future visit to show you we can do better.