“Terrible experience... be warned.” 1 of 5 stars

Hostel Nari-Nari Marrakech
Riad Zitoun el Jdid | Rue Bahia, 51, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #71 of 191 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Sydney, Australia
“Terrible experience... be warned.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed here for 6 nights and had an ensuite. Good location as it is a 15-20 minute walk to the main square (if you don't get lost).The hostel looks very nice, with great interior design and furnishings. However the bathroom stunk of sewerage everytime the toliet is flushed and even though there is aircon in the room, you can hardly feel it. The manager Mohammed seemed very nice when we first arrived, giving us mint tea and telling us what to do during our stay. However, his over enthusiasm seems a bit fake and after asking for the money owed to us many times, he dropped the act on the last day when he probably realised that he wasn't going to recieve any extra money from us threw our change at us and was extremely rude. He left a bad taste in my mouth as our stay could have been a good one (besides the toliet) as the breakfast was very nice and the hostel had a great atmosphere. Another issue was that we informed him out of courtesy that we would be going on a desert trip for 3 days and he told us to take all our things out of the room and leave them in a seperate room as the cleaners cleaned the room every 2 days. That made us a bit suspicious as to why you would need to take all the bags out just for a clean. His real motives came to light when we got back from our trip and headed to our rooms. One member of staff told us to wait as there are people staying in our room and he needed to call Mohammed to confirm. Luckily for them, the people had moved out before we arrived (which was late at night). If you pay for room for x nights, you would expect that you have the room for x nights, not how many night you are present. There are many other places to stay which are the same price but better in Marrakech, so avoid this place.

Just be warned if you want to stay here that people may seem friendly, but don't let your guard down and if you using this as a base for travelling around Morocco, don't waste your money here as when you are away, they will give your rooms to other people just to make some extra money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Came here to stay for a week in a private room with ensuite. Was welcomed by Mohammed in the most charming manner, served us mint tea whilst waiting for us to relax first before asking for payment. He asked for payment in euros but I only had dirhams with me so he said that was okay too. He didn't had change for me at that time and said that he will give me the remainder the next morning. As I will be staying here for a week, I agreed as there seemed to be no rush in getting that money back (the amount is quite significant to us). He led us to the room which was right next to the staircase. First thoughts were that the room was nice and cosy, with simplistic decor but nevertheless worth the money. However, we soon realised it was totally the opposite. The attached bathroom had an awful sewerage smell that stinks up both the bathroom and the bedroom throughout the whole stay. Even by opening up the windows and closing the toilet seat lid made no difference. It was the exact same smell as the drains in the streets. We were so thankful that we had booked a desert trip which saved us a couple of nights from the horrible stench.

We told Mohammed the night before that we were going to the desert and he looked disappointed. Then he proceeded to state that we MUST put all our belongings into the luggage room whilst we are in the desert. I insisted that we had too many items to be fitted in our luggage bags (as we were backpacking) and it will be better for us if we were to just leave it in the room. He ignored my comment and stated that the cleaners have to clean the room every 2 days (which was a lie because they did not clean my room throughout my stay). I gave in and after several attempts, managed to fit my belongings into my backpacks and a few plastic bags hoping there are no opportunists thieves around as there are no locks in the luggage room. When I arrived back from the desert trip, I was stopped while walking up the stairs and was told that we were to sit in the lounge area as there was SOMEONE ELSE staying in my room. The staff told me to hold on while they sort this out with Mohammed. I was not surprised at all at this treatment but still disappointed, I have already paid for the nights in the hostels and not only do I deserve to leave my luggage in my room but that there should be NO ONE ELSE staying in my room during the stay. Clearly they are trying to leech every penny off you.
Fortunately, the staff came back to me and said that there was no one staying in my room at the moment, which kept my cool. As I entered my room, my soap and shampoo along with my toothpaste and other small items were disposed off, which suggests that clearly there was someone else using this room and they had to dispose evidence that this room was rightfully mine until the end of my stay. The host should really try to be more of what he is in the outside than the inside.

Not forgetting the money owed to me, I asked Mohammed again whether he has it or not. His initial reaction was that he thought he has already gave it back to me, which is such an unbelievable act as firstly he did not seemed generally surprised and secondly no host would forget that they owe their guest money. He even "forgotten" the sum of money owed and had to use a calculator to recalculate. He assured me that he will return me the money at the end of the day (as I had asked him in the morning). However, he was nowhere to be found at night, and as this was the last night I was starting to feel frustrated. The next morning (day of checkout) I had requested for him again and the staff told me he was out, though I'm pretty sure I heard him behind the curtains in the lounge area. Nevertheless I told the staff that Mohammed still owed me money and that I will be back in the afternoon to collect my baggage and expect that he will be there. True enough, he was there when I was back but this time it was the true side of him showing. He came up to me with no greeting at all, threw a 200 dirham note on the table and said he has no change and demanded whether I had change. Luckily I had enough change and gave it to him, where he just took it and left without saying goodbye. Fortunately I had the change to give him, or else he may have just taken the chance to say that he had no change and left with the 200 dirham note.

Honestly, I felt really welcomed on the first night, really looking forward to my stay in this place. But everything went downhill from there, which urged me to write my first review as it frustrates me a lot.

HOWEVER, there are two good things about this place. Firstly there is a washing machine which is free of charge to be used. Secondly, one of the staff in this hostel is genuinely friendly and nice. Although his English vocabulary is limited, he always smiles to us and that is why I love Morocco so much!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

This hostel has a very relaxed atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and helpful, even during the fasting month. Clean place and good breakfast. Nice terrace (beware of the tortoisses, Chico´s crews, they´re not door stopper).

Room Tip: Terrace room is highly recommended.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Although a very comfortable riad/hostel with a nice included breakfast, the main manager made our stay very un-enjoyable. Being a local we assumed that we could rely on the information he provided but found that the details he gave were inaccurate & very mis-leading.

We went on a walking tour with his "cousin" which was not informative & ended up paying more than what was quoted by the manager. A night spent in the desert was troublesome too where again the price/cost differed from the original quote & 10hrs+ on a mini-van with NO air-conditioning was not mentioned. When simple questions were asked about the tour (not only by ourselves but another group of travellers) regarding water & things to bring, he became annoyed & gave unclear answers.

Finally, I really didn't appreciate how uncomfortable he made us feel & especially my girlfriend when on our last day, he persistently ask her to write a positive review on the hostel for the website in which she booked. This was a highly unprofessional & unethical manner in which to conduct a business.

Do your research on the tours, make sure you get clear & precise answers & even then, don't rely on its accuracy...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Nari Nari was the BEST choice! Very convenient location, just a few minutes off of Jmar el Fna, but in a much nicer and quieter neighborhood. The staff was lovely and very helpful with any request we had. The rooms are nice and very clean with airconditioning. Nari Nari is a great choice for a great price. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

Such an unusual hostel in the best way possible. Rose petals and candles on the staircase leading to your room. Very friendly and helpful staff. Turtles on the sundeck. Lovely breakfast in the morning and pot of tea in the evening. I would definately be happy to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Nari Nari was our home base during our stay in Marrakesh. It's location in the heart of the Medina is a 5 minute walk from Jamaâ El Fna and bargaining in the souqs. The hospitality of the hostel manager made the stay at Nari Nari feel like visiting an old family friend. Complimentary mint tea was brought to us any time of day in the oasis-like open air courtyard where we also were served an included breakfast of eggs and Moroccan breads. Cool and comfortable lounge areas off of the courtyard provided a respite in the middle of a hot Moroccan afternoon and a place to check email and look up restaurants on our iphones via the free wifi. In the evenings we relaxed smoking hookah on the third-floor terrace. Nari Nari provided the comforts of an upscale riad and the character and community of an international hostel experience.

Room Tip: There are two dorm-style 8 or 5-bed rooms and the rest are double occupancy en-suite. The dorms are...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Nari-Nari Marrakech? Share your experiences!