“Exceeded expectations!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Opera Plaza Hotel

You added Opera Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Opera Plaza Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle Avenue Mohammed VI et Avenue Hassan II, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #244 of 467 Hotels in Marrakech
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Exceeded expectations!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed from the 8th July until the 12th July on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis booked via Superbreaks. Some reports made me a little nervous however my concerns were not necessary at all! The staff were welcoming and friendly, the room and facilities were good, food was ok and it was very good value for money! I would not hesitate to return to this hotel should I visit Marrakesh again.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook the inner courtyard which contains the good sized pool and outside bar. Music st...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Wolverhampton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel and I would Hello, I recently stayed at the Opera Plaza Hotel and I strongly recommend you do NOT stay here and think its wise if you keep away. The rooms you cannot fault and some of the staff are pleasant. BUT !!!!
The people on reception are very rude and un-helpful. If you are doing Half board or Bed and breakfast then expect the same food every day, which I can guarantee you will be sick of the sight off.

I am going to get straight to the bad points.

The Electric lamp wiring was lose in my room, Please see pictures.

I was told I could not bring in food or drink from the local supermarket and that water had to be purchased from them only. ( Not sure why? as I had paid for room and I should be allowed to eat and drink what I wanted )

During the World Cup, People were asked to leave !!! If they didn’t buy a drink from the bar. Some people complained stating they had just been out for a family meal in town and didn’t want to buy a drink from the bar.
The bar was very expensive and differed prices were charged depending on who served you. One lady charged me 30 dirhams for a can of coke and the next day a man charged me 40 Dirham.

I was told i was not allowed to hang up my towel on the balcony to let it dry out after being by the pool. My Balcony was at the front of the hotel.

My Television lost all its channels one day! I would also advise not to leave valuables in your room, as i heard stories of the cleaners stealing items.
The staff of reception were un-helpful to the couple who had their iPad and charger stolen.

The security guards were often trying to order me a taxi and charging around 150 Dirhams to return me to the airport, trying to make a profit for themselves.
I caught a taxi for half that price in the end. They would also try and flag down a taxi for you and again making a profit with the driver.

Finally on my last day, I was charged 115 Dirhams, so called Hotel tax? Not sure why as this as I had paid for my room in advance for 7 nights in with alpha rooms.
I will be lodging a complaint.

Please check that you will not be charged any extra money after your stay!!!! Please please keep away from this Hotel and don’t let me experience spoil your holiday. ( Stay away from room 217 )

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Location: good location from airport (about 12 minute taxi drive) and 20 minute walk from the Jemme el Fna market. There is also a shopping center with retail stores and restaurants about 10 minute walk from the hotel. Around the corner from the hotel is also a breakfast shop that has amazing Naan bread and coffee. Aside from that, we didn't venture elsewhere outside the hotel so I don't know what else was near the hotel.

Room: The room was absolutely beautiful. Clean, extremely spacious, and had modern furniture. More than enough storage space with the closet. The room also comes with a table and seating area. The bathroom was also VERY spacious and comes with a blow dryer and heating rack for drying clothes, bathing suits, etc. The pictures on the website are true to form of what you will be getting. We were 3 persons occupying one room. The beds are more like twin size beds, even though they are described on the website as a single bed. We didn't need to use the cot which was provided for the 3rd person. Two people are able to fit comfortably in one bed. We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights.

Staff: excellent customer service by the staff all the way around! Staff would provide assistance and give us very great information on restaurants and how to get to places. They are all very attentive and responsive. We arrived in Marrakesh on a 2am flight. We went to the hotel because certain members of our group were checking in to the hotel. However, other members of the group were going on a camel trekking excursion at 7am, so they did not pay for a hotel stay for 5 hours (as expected). The night crew staff had no problem allowing members of our group to hang out and sleep in a lounge section of the lobby. They even kept their luggage in storage until they returned from the excursion to check in to the hotel. I don't know of many hotels that would allow for that. THANKS TO THE STAFF FOR MAKING OUR STAY PLEASURABLE.

Overall experience: This was our first time in Morocco and the Opera Plaza Hotel made it memorable. No issues with anything during the 3 days of our reservation. There are about 3 restaurants within the hotel, a spa, fitness center, large pool, lounging area, etc. We spent an entire day in the hotel and did not get bored once with all the amenities they offer. The included breakfast had great variety of food and beverages. Outside seating areas and canopy beds by the pool were great for either eating breakfast outside, or lounging by the pool. I recommend a pool facing room. We utilized the spa while we were there, and it was amazing as well. Spa staff only speak French, but we were able to communicate with them with basic requests and signing. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Marrakesh.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My stay at the Opera Plaza hotel started off really good and the gentlemen who was on reception when we arrived was very pleasant.

We stayed for two nights, the pool was really nice, the rooms were lovely and the fitness centre was nice.

After our first night, we headed by the pool for the day after breakfast. I left my iPad on charge in my room and when I returned in the afternoon the cleaners were in my room and my iPad and charger were gone.

The manager took no responsibility for this and was extremely unhelpful. He sent us on a wild goose chase to two different police stations who said it was nothing to do with them. We were in a country where we did not speak the language and I expected the manager to help us. He tried to imply at one point that it were my friend and I who took the iPad.

We eventually managed to get the police but only because another lady had had her phone stolen from by the pool the day before and the same manager had told her NOT to ring the police and that they would help her find the phone and that they thought they knew who had it. She eventually got fed up of them messing her about that she went outside and stopped a police car who was passing the hotel and made them come in to help her.

Some of the staff at this hotel were really nice but most of them were rude, unhelpful and didn't seem to care about their guests. The lady on reception at the Opera Plaza was so rude to me and refused to be my Arabic to English translator for the police and told me to ask at the reception at the red hotel next door.

I can't say anything negative about the look and feel of the hotel as it was lovely. But I would advise you to stay away from this hotel if you would like to keep your belongings. There is clearly a thief amongst the staff and there is some sort of scam going on with the staff at the hotel as you can read on here about all the other incidents that have happened in the last few months.

• Stayed June 2014
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I have stayed in a few hotels in Marrakech but I keep returning to the Opera Plaza. Not only is it a wonderful hotel, but the staff are in a different league.
From attentive pool staff, great bartenders, a friendly face on the door and great reception team.

To me a sign of a good hotel is how they deal with a situation when it doesn't go smoothly. My online travel agent had booked me in the hotel even though the Opera was full. Not a problem they arranged a room in their sister hotel and had me back in the Opera Plaza the next morning....exceptional service from Siham on reception.

This hotel is quite simply a firm favourite of mine anywhere in the world.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Bristol, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Very well decorated hotel that has a wonderful smell on entering the reception and a member of staff playing Moroccan music, dressed in traditional costume and serves you mint tea. Our rooms were excellent. Really big. Very comfortable beds and lovely bathroom. Our room overlooked the swimming pool which was really lovely.

This hotel is located very centrally and opposite the train station and the National Theatre. So great for easy sight seeing. We took advantage of the open top bus service that actually stops right outside the entrance to the hotel.

Food was ok but the selection was very limited at breakfast and dinner.

Poolside bar and dining very nice.

Pool lovely and always a sunbed available. Only downside is your drinks are not served in shatterproof or plastic glasses and on our weekend there we noticed quite a few breakages that werent cleaned up very well. One instance a glass was smashed right into the childrens paddling pool and this wasnt tided up by the people who did the breakage or the staff very well.

Our major bug bear of our stay was the doorman. Bit of a thug. We bought some soft drinks, water etc to take up to our rooms and he stopped us and wouldnt allow us to take any of them to our room and were made to feel like naughty school children. We had to put them in the left luggage room and ONLY allowed to get them if we were going to be going out of the hotel. After this incidient each time we entered the lobby he would look at our bags and try and look inside them to see if we had any other stashes we were trying to smuggle in!! On our final day he stopped her and asked her to open her small handbag and to look inside. She refused and made a complaint to the management. They were very apologetic.

Other than that hotel was lovely.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Leopold
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I must say my first time in Morocco was not without drama, this included spending time time in an ICU unit in Marrakesh. Had it not been for the wonderful staff at the Opera Plaza Hotel it would have been much worse. The Opera Plaza Hotel is a modern hotel with large rooms, great balcony overlooking the pool area & a varied breakfast menu. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome and I'm really sorry I spent half the time in hospital. If you are looking for a great hotel in Marrakesh book a room at the Opera Plaza you won't be disappointed, it is located just across the road from Marrakesh Central Train Station. There is however one thing that should be upgraded that is WIFI it is not the best connection, apart from that it is a wonderful hotel. In the future I intend to return and visit the places I missed and will definitely choose the Opera Plaza. Thank you Mr Mohamed & Staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Been to Opera Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!