“An Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Opera Plaza Hotel

You added Opera Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Opera Plaza Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle Avenue Mohammed VI et Avenue Hassan II, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #246 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“An Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Pool is fabulous and varied buffet breakfasts superb (freshly cooked pancakes and honey were fantastic). Gym was well maintained and very good. Hotel is very clean and peaceful. Staff are very nice. Air conditioning was very cool. It is a short taxi ride outside of the town but we see this as an advantage - the hotel is safe and quiet. There are good facilities nearby - railway station, banks, pedestrian shopping centre, post office, restaurants, theatre, airport, etc., etc.. A good place to explore Marrakech from.
I have only one criticism. We ate late at the buffet restaurant one evening. It cost about £24 per head + drinks. There was very little food left. On subsequent evenings we ate at the Grand Café and Venezia Ice (restaurants opposite station). They were very good. 2 courses were £10 or less + drinks

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights, arrived to find the aircon in our room was broken and within 5 minutes it was 'repaired', however it was so weak we had to leave it on for our entire stay. The wash hand basin leaked badly & we got wet feet every time it was used. We complained to the evening receptionist (having had to interrupt him twice while he chatted to his friends) who insisted it had been repaired when we returned from dinner on our 1st night but it still hadn't been attended to when we checked out so our stay started badly. The towels in the bathroom were worn and rough. The bed was huge and comfortable but the sheets were too small. We were given one tiny sachet of shampoo between 2 people on our 2nd day. Despite there being at least 8 members of staff around the pool who saw us arrive we waited patiently for 15 minutes in the 37 degree heat before having to request towels. We were asked to pay for coffee by the pool immediately on receipt and requested that we pay when leaving as we were staying for the afternoon but the waiter insisted we pay in an aggressive manner so no tip given. Don't expect someone to take your cases or show you to your room. These admittedly sound petty but an accumulation of minor irritations make for unhappy guests. The positives - there was a barman at the pool bar who couldn't have been more attentive in a professional 4* hotel manner - a little nod and he was at your side. On our last night he went out of his way to get me a glass of white wine (it was Ramadan so drinks stocks were low) and allowed us to sign for drinks - it was a pleasure to tip him. The hotel pool is fabulous with comfortable loungers & huge parasols and unlike other pools in Marrakech is in the sun so you can sunbathe when it's too hot to walk around the city and it was never crowded. The hotel is spotless and the cleaning staff do an amazing job and greet you pleasantly. Breakfast was great - scrambled eggs, cereals, fruit, pancakes & pastries so not repetitive, fresh and delicious. In conclusion, this hotel could be fantastic with a little more attention - treating guests as 'guests', retraining certain members of staff and less scrimping on the basics.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Overall, it was a great holiday. The hotel was clean and the room was very nice. All the girls who work in the hotel as cleaners etc were really sweet and polite and my mother used the spa which she said was excellent. The pool area was also very nice a large pool with a good amount of sun and shade.

The food was also very nice - have pancakes at breakfast!

Unfortunately on our 4th day my mother and I were asked to go to reception by the security guard!! The woman on receptionist told us of a "new" rule which meant we could not drink water, bought outside the hotel, by the pool! We were told very rudely and we were very embarrassed! The water in the pool bar costs 35dirams about (£3 when we visited) and the water from a kiosk 5m from the door of the hotel cost 6dirams (about 50p)!!! We both understand why the hotel doesn't want us to drink water from elsewhere but why make prices SO much more and why be so rude?

So stay here if you want to have a nice pool a taxi ride from the main square but be warned about expensive food/drink prices and some (not all by any means) staff.

• Stayed July 2013
rochester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed here for 10 days on the 9/7/13 & cannot understand some of the reviews written here. All the staff I spoke to could speak English perfectly, none of the staff was AGGRESSIVE in fact they could not do enough to help you. As for mattresses they was on the on sun beds all night & day, yes you have to pay city tax who cares if you have to pay beforehand at check in. I've stayed in many hotels all over the world & can honestly say this is one of the better ones I would recommend this hotel to anyone & would definitely stay here again. Thanks to all the staff for a truly grate stay.

Room Tip: As for 2 electronic key cards when booking in as 1 is for air conditioning. buy water from the booth...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Opera Plaza is a pleasant and well positioned Hotel. A friend and I stayed in Morocco for 2 weeks and used this hotel as a base. The train station and bus station are located across the street for the traveler who wants to see more.
It was soldto us as a 5 star hotel but realistically it is a decent 3/4 star.
The hotel is clean and well presented, staff are friendly and willing to help. The concierge staff are always willing to advise and help you to make the most of your holiday, they all speak good English and understand the needs of travelers in Morocco. Specifically Sabir who was most helpful with a cute smile and great knowledge of Marrakesh.
Our stay in the Opera Plaza was enjoyable and the shared pool with the red hotel was never overcrowded and was well kept.
The restaurants in the hotel are on the expensive side but there are many cafes and restaurants surrounding the hotel which are cheaper and very nice too.
Sadly we had no mini bar in the room for 14 days out of 15 but it is really the only flaw to mention.
I would recommend a stay in the opera plaza and would happily return if I found myself in Marrakech again :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I went on holiday with a few family members and thoroughly enjoyed the holiday.

Breakfast was brilliant however we tried the buffet one evening and we weren't very impressed with the selection of food available.

In terms of lounge around the pool it was great.. No need to reserve loungers however i would recommend going to the hit outside the hotel for snacks and drinks due to the extortionate prices at the bar. It would be ideal if you were all exclusive but we had the B&B package.

The staff are great however when we returned to the UK we found the staff very strange.. We became aware that some of the staff were over friendly throughout the stay especially Ousamma, Nizha and Sabir... Be aware of the tax prices they charge at the end of your stay because we got charged and when returned to the UK we discovered we had already payed these when we booked the holiday... The three named staff members found us on Facebook and pretended to have accidents and were admitted in hospital and wanted our help by sending them money.

We shortly discovered that it was all a lie and a scam... Word of advise do not became friendly with them because they are con merchants and will try to scam you by acting overly friendly and polite.

Overall hotel, location and room service was brilliant and we cannot complain about the cleanliness of the whole building as it was was sparking long throughout the day...

I have to give some credit to the man who worked around the pool... He was very attentive and did look after us by having towels ready and asked if we were ok throughout our 7 day stay..

• Stayed June 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

If you're English and thinking of going here I would read this review/ rant.

I've just returned from a 4 day stay at this hotel. My girlfriend and I found it very clean with a very good sized 'standard' room. The pool area was nice with comfortable sun beds (although the padded matresses only came out on our last day, which was strange). The main and VERY BIG problem with this hotel is the staff and their grasp of English, which is almost non existent. I'm not exaggerating when I say this: we didn't come across one member of staff who we could have a full conversation with in English. When I say full conversation I mean things like booking a taxi or a resturant. For example - I asked if the clocks were going backwards or forwards the following day to which the reply was "yes it will be open" so I asked someone else, the reply "there will be signs everywhere tomorrow" (no idea what that meant and there were no signs) I called reception later that evening to find out again from my room, I was told I'd be called back with an answer, no reply. This is just a small example of how bad it was. I also found one member quite agressive towards my girlfriend when she stated how she wanted to change a booking for a resturant he had made, he almost took it personally. We found that the staff were not interested in helping us quickly, for example - we would be invited to sit down at the desk, we would begin asking a question and they would then pick up the phone and start a conversation, after putting the phone down I would carry on with my question, they would then start talking to a colleague and walk off, we would then get passed onto another staff member and would have to being our question again, this happened at least 4 times in just 4 days!There was one stand out receptionist named E. Sabir who was very friendly and at least tried to talk to us in a polite manner.

In short - it's a very nice hotel and it's very clean, the pillows were like bricks and the bed was rock solid. The staff need to be trained to a 4* standard, and learn how to deal with English people. I would also check out the Thai which was SO GOOD, on both visits we were the only people there, the sushi was perfect. The breakfast was also really nice, get the pancakes!

Rant over.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool are a lot nicer than onto the busy mess that is the road outside.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Opera Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!