“Great Place” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Opera Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Opera Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Opera Plaza Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Angle Avenue Mohammed VI et Avenue Hassan II, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #246 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Toronto, Canada
“Great Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

The hotel is well located (new Marrakesh), clean, great staff. Id say its walking distance to the square (30mins). From my travel experiences, the best way to see a city(area) is by foot. but as mention here, cabs are cheap so that's another good option. Its conveniently across the street from the train station. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

299 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Fantastic hotel, very clean and modern. Staff very helpful although not all of them had a good grasp of English but would find someone to assist. We were on bed and breakfast which was fresh and sufficient you must try the freshly made pancakes although you have to wait a while due to the demand but if you let the lady know how many you want she will bring them to the table. Never had lunch or dinner at the hotel looked a little pricey but if you go across the road to the train station you can't miss the McDonald's or KFC, also Italian restaurant and gorgeous patisserie. Around the corner is a bank which had favourable exchange rate. There is free entry to Beirut nightclub but be mindful drinks expensive 2 sprites and 2 small bottles of water cost 300 drums, would have been worth if entertainment was good but it was mediocre though don't tell the male singer who thought he was famous he sang his whole segment facing the musicians which led to his back to the audience.

Always got a sun-lounger no one was desperate to reserve with a towel. Enjoy your stay we did we were three females with high cleanliness expectations and we got that. On a final note enjoy the shower it was a hot torrent that left us buzzing and tingling. We will definitely go back again next year.

The soukhs were 10 minutes drive we took the smallest taxi which could be 20 dirhams but had to really haggle the price on return trip as they always wanted 50 dirhams but we managed to get it down to 30 dirhams.

Enjoy your experience knowing at the end of the day you are returning to a luxurious hotel ad very large and comfortable bedrooms.

Room Tip: We had three bed room this is the largest bedroom they have at the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here four nights, beautifull ambience and spotless. Gorgeous Morrocan shisha tent around the pool area with African singer to entertain you whilst relaxing with a coffee or cocktail.
Nothing too much trouble for the staff. Room cleaned every day and bed throw and my pyjamas arranged into flower designs. Had massage in the spa - very relaxing. Little tip dont let concierge hail you a taxi just walk over to the train station and they just pull up -don't pay any more than 30 or 40 dirhams to the square or Gardens Majorelle and we paid 60 to go back to airport (always agree price first) To be honest it's quite far to walk to the square and well worth the £3 taxi fare. Some people have commented that bath is an accident waiting to happen and very slippy - easy answer put towel on side of bath, sit down and swing legs over to get out - common sense really! Would I go back? most definetely I can't wait

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Coventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is a large, modern hotel, in the "new" part of Marrakech, well away from the hustle and bustle of the medina. It's ideal if you want to explore the fascinating life of the old city during the day but then withdraw from the chaos at night. The hotel has a large variety of facilities such as bars, restaurants, a spa, an open-air swimming pool and live entertainment. I booked a single room with breakfast and was given a spacious double room with a large built-in wardrobe, a desk, room safe and an attractive en suite bathroom. The room was clean and well kept, with reliable daily room service. Breakfast was buffet style and provided an excellent choice of pastries, bread, cheese, fruit, yoghurt and hot food such as scrambled eggs and grilled tomatoes. The location, next to the landmark railway station, makes it easy to reach and the airport buses pass the hotel and will drop you off outside. There's also a plentiful selection of local buses that travel between the railway station and the central Place Foucauld, next to Jemaa El Fna. Otherwise it's easy to get taxis. It probably takes about 30 minutes to walk to the central medina, which can be an enjoyable stroll and will help to get your bearings. The hotel is especially good for first-time visitors, who may not wish to risk booking a place within the confusing maze of streets and alleys which constitute much of the old city. Opera Plaza has the advantage of being easy to find and is very pleasant and comfortable.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms look out onto a busy road, opposite the Theatre Royal, and can therefore be a bit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
New Castle, Delaware, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

If you expect even average customer service, this hotel is not for you. Staff is way undertrained and their check in / recorded keeping process sucks....

If you need wifi in your room, I would choose another hotel. 100 dh for wifi for one device and make sure you get a room close to a router or it wont work.

Very Nice hotel and rooms. I was staying at another hotel and wanted to move so I found Opera plaza on a site and wanted to give it a try. When I drove to the hotel there are two Operas right next to each other so I stayed in the wrong one for the first night. However it was a better than the opera plaza. When I walked over to stay in the newer Opera Plaza, they guy told me it would be 750 a night, but he was extremly busy as there was no one there help him out. After waiting 20 minutes to make my reservation, I wrote down my information for him to do it later and left. Wehn I arrived the next day, he never made the reservation and the lady was now charging me 900 dh. I also wanted wifi in my room which meant I had to pay 100 more dh. I tried to argue my point but was getting no where, after an hour to check in I went to my room only to find out that they didn't give me the code of wifi, so I went back down stairs and got the code. Then come to find out my room was right in the middle between two routers so the signal was weak and didnt work. You would think since I request wifi in my room they would give me one as close as possible. So after another hour of arguing for a new room, I was able to get on the internet. The next day I decided to extend my stay for three days and they charged me 3,000 dh to include wifi. However when I returned that night, they did not give me wifi code and the internet guy was not there so I had no internet and spend an hour trying to figure out why when I paid for internet I did not have it. So the next evening when I returned the internet guy was there and I asked him to give me the code he said I had to pay. I explained I already paid but since I included it on my credit card they did not see the difference between room charge and wifi and therefore insist on charging me again. Then I also noted that they charged me 100 dh for the first night wifi that they expect me to pay upon check out. I argued with the manager who said I have to wait til the lady that checked me in comes back to sort it out. Like she is going to remember every detail about everyone she checked in. So as of now I am out 400 dh, because this hotel does not have a staff trained. There is one person for one task and if they are not here, than you are screwed.

Room Tip: If you want/need wifi in your room make sure you are close to a router. Plus its only good for one d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed for five days and four nights. Anywhere you go there is someone to serve you at your interest, very clean rooms even the towels I never had a nice smelling and soft towels in any other hotel!
Food is super from authentic Morocco Tjeen to international cosines all tasty and perfect.
the hotel is near by the train station to take you in any direction in Morocco. besides walking is a nice thing to do in the magical city city Marrakech.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Modern and well laid out with very spacious comfortable areas around the lobby area - with bar and terrace leading on to pool. Wi Fi available free in public areas. Restaurant comfortable and intimate offering standard buffet breakfast and very good evening cold/hot buffet. I staid here for three nights - double room very spacious with balcony overlooking pool area; very comfortable bed . Large bathroom - a bit too much wasted space. My complaint about the room was just little niggling things like not having enough hangers or hooks in bathroom and no drawer space. I do hope the hotel does something about their key-fob system which does not function as it should, one would get to the bedroom door and be locked out and having to return to the reception to get the plastic card re activated - this went on every day and all guests seemed to be experiencing the same problem. If you are interested in modern architecture don't miss a visit to the Opera house opposite the hotel and the Marrakech Railway Railway Station on the opposite corner - stunning!. The hotel is about a 40 minute walk into the main medina of Marrakech ( very pleasant walk through some gardens) and only a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms overlooking pool seem quiet. Rooms facing front may be noisy but gret if you like...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Opera Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!