“Warm, welcoming riad” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Sydney, Australia
“Warm, welcoming riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

This was our first trip to Morocco, and I was so glad we booked this riad for our days in Marrakech. The rooms are lovely and unique, and the whole atmosphere is warm and relaxed. Sara made sure we knew our way to and from the souks before we went out, and I'm so glad she did because its crazy out there and people on the streets give you all sorts of silly directions. I was there with my 8 year old son, and he says that what he liked at the riad was that Sara and Mohktar were so friendly and that they have a great puppy to play with. This is the kind of place where they will help in any way they can. I recommend getting an airport transfer with them because it would be difficult to find the riad on your own.

Room Tip: The rooms are all close to each other. There is not a bad room there. You can make the rooms nice an...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Langkawi, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

My girlfriend and I (26 years, German) spent a wonderful week in this wonderful Riad. Everything was perfect, the rooms are large and lovely decorated and the roof terrace provides a cosy place to enjoy the evenings or relax during the hot hours of the day.
The Riad is located in the old Medina, only a few minutes away from the main square which makes it easy to find your way through the small alleys.

However, the best thing about the Riad is the hospitality of the owners, Sara and her brother. They are amazing, right from our arrival they helped with everything without being pushy. When I felt a little bit ill on one day Sara even provided me directly with a special herbal tea which helped a lot.
Staying for a week it was really interesting to talk to them and get more and more inside information, learn something about their culture and just have fun joking with them.

Regarding the food, the breakfast tasted very well and the dinner which we we ate there twice was really really good.

I can only recommend staying there if you would like to see the Medina, have some Arabian nights but don't want to miss European standard.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We recently stayed four nights at Riad Tamarrakecht. Everything about this riad is lovely. Tucked away on a little side street, it is a peaceful, quiet, beautifully decorated riad. The moment you walk in, you're in awe at how pretty and colorful it is. The small pool in the courtyard had rose petals floating on the surface, and the continuous sound of the running water in the pool gave the place a calming, peaceful feel.

Upon arrival, you're given some pastries and mint tea. This is when you meet Sara and her brother. They run the riad, and they're extremely hospitable and very helpful. Sara takes the time to get to know you, and she offers excellent suggestions regarding sightseeing.

The riad is a little off the beaten path, which turned out to be one of the place's best assets. To get to the main square, you have to walk a few minutes through the real streets of Marrakech, where you get to see the local shops, markets, barbers, and butchers, as well as the donkeys, and of course the local residents. The walk to and from the riad every day was always interesting and illuminating. It's a little confusing the first day, but Sara drew an excellent map, and after you do it successfully once, it become easy. You definitely want to take the riad's suggestion and hire a cab driver ahead of time to take you from the airport to the riad. The medina can be confusing, especially if this is your first time in Marrakech.

Breakfasts at the riad were lovely. We ate on the breezy rooftop terrace, and every morning, we were given a variety of breads and pastries, jams and honeys, fresh squeezed orange juice, and of course mint tea. We were so full from breakfast that we usually found ourselves skipping lunch, and not getting hungry until dinnertime.

Our bedroom was large and beautifully decorated. The riad is very quiet at night, and you definitely get a restful night's sleep.

I highly recommend this riad to anyone visiting Marrakech.

Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I spent three nights at the Tamarrakecht and had a wonderful experience there. The riad is very nicely decorated, the rooms are large, and the owners are wonderfully hospitable. My room had a king size bed, outfitted with excellent linens. The room also had AC, which I didn't need much, but was nice to cool it down a bit in the late afternoon heat. The bathroom was large (indeed, the shower must have been almost five feet square), there is plant of hot water, and the towels are richly luxuriant.

Breakfasts are served on the rooftop terrace, which also has lounge chairs and shaded areas (under a Berber tent) for relaxing. Breakfasts are huge and vary a bit day by day … fried egg with peppers one day, excellent rice pudding one day, and fresh croissants and baguettes with a choice of jams and honey every day.

When I arrived, the wonderful Sarah met me with mint tea and sweets, and gave me a very useful map, which permitted me to navigate my way around the medina and find my way back to the riad. She also provided good advice about places to see and restaurants to visit, as well as guidelines about what to pay for taxis and the like. Sarah also provided a cell phone number to text or call if I got lost … which, thankfully, I didn't need. The riad did a small load of laundry for me at no charge. Wifi access was quite good.

As the name riad implies, the Tamarrakecht is a courtyard house with rooms facing inward, without windows to the outside. This means that you will get some household noise, but I found it quite pleasant. The family appears to live on site, which means they take great care of the place. Unlike other places I stayed in Morocco, I did not hear the call to prayers while staying at the Tamarrakecht or noise from the surrounding alleys.

A couple of points to note: 1) the riad takes only cash, no credit cards. 2) Arrival can be a little confusing. The "Bab Aylen" in the riad's address refers to the nearest gate into the medina. Taxis will drop you off there and, unless you've made arrangements with the riad for someone to meet you, you'll have to pay one of the local kids to lead you to the place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Dresden, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We arranged for the hotel to pick us up from the airport. This is a good idea if you aren't familiar with Marrakech. We found our driver waiting for us just before we exited the airport. He made his way through the overcrowded and winding roads to a drop-off where we were picked up by the son of the family that owns the Riad (sorry, I forgot his name! But he's extremely nice and helpful!). We had to walk from the drop-off to the riad, but it only took about 2 minutes. I guess because the streets are so narrow and crowded, the taxi couldn't get all the way to the riad? That was an experience alone though. To see everyday life of Moroccans was really interesting... the donkey carts, motorbikes, bicyles and pedestrians everywhere! Very neat. Upon entering the Riad, we were greeted by Sara and asked to sit and enjoy some mint tea and delicious pasteries. The riad gathered our paperwork and Sara sat down with us to discuss what we wanted to do on our trip. We only stayed at Riad Tamarrakecht one night, but Sara was willing to spend the time mapping out the old town and new town and giving us suggestions as to what we should see while in Marrakech. She organized a private 3 day mountain/desert tour for us through a company she is familiar with. If you are planning on doing a mountain/desert tour, I highly recommend asking this riad for help. The riad itself was exquisite. So many rich colors and lovely decorations. It was clean gorgeous. The rooftop was a pleasant place to eat dinner and breakfast. Both meals were delicious and made in house by Sara's mother. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was big, especially compared to the small German bathrooms I'm used to. I thought the walls might be a little thin as I could hear other people outside of our room, but I am a light sleeper and came prepared with earplugs. The in-room fridge was stocked with drinks and bottled water was provided in the room, free of charge. The seating area outside the rooms was inviting and if we spent more time at this riad, it would have been an excellent retreat from the craziness at the souks. Great place. Great people. Great time. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Excellent place, easy walking to the main square, Sara and her brother where very helpful, food was very good. Nice and quite, couldn't even here a certain person snore. Interesting area to walk around and great terrace.

Room Tip: Don't try to find it yourself, ring ahead
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I did a side trip from Spain to Morocco, we stayed at this riad in Marrakech, my senses was assaulted on every side as I came out of the cab,that the riad had sent to pick us up at the airport. Bikes,bicycles were coming from every side and people walking and selling all over,I was a bit apprehensive seeing the surrounding of the riad, but I was really surprised when the door to riad was open ,it was like a peaceful ,lovely ,relaxing oasis, waterfall ,flowers a small pool decorated with rose petals,the welcome by Sara and her brother, tea and pastries to welcome us.our room was beautiful, tastefully decorated ,Sara was so helpful making calls for us,even arranging a camel ride tour for us.the breakfast was simply delicious and plentiful, dinner was the best I had in Marrakech, Sara brother would help us to find our way about. I would highly recommend this riad .simply worth a vist.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Tamarrakecht? Share your experiences!