“an exquisite riad” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Columbia, Missouri
“an exquisite riad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I spent three nights at the Tamarrakecht and had a wonderful experience there. The riad is very nicely decorated, the rooms are large, and the owners are wonderfully hospitable. My room had a king size bed, outfitted with excellent linens. The room also had AC, which I didn't need much, but was nice to cool it down a bit in the late afternoon heat. The bathroom was large (indeed, the shower must have been almost five feet square), there is plant of hot water, and the towels are richly luxuriant.

Breakfasts are served on the rooftop terrace, which also has lounge chairs and shaded areas (under a Berber tent) for relaxing. Breakfasts are huge and vary a bit day by day … fried egg with peppers one day, excellent rice pudding one day, and fresh croissants and baguettes with a choice of jams and honey every day.

When I arrived, the wonderful Sarah met me with mint tea and sweets, and gave me a very useful map, which permitted me to navigate my way around the medina and find my way back to the riad. She also provided good advice about places to see and restaurants to visit, as well as guidelines about what to pay for taxis and the like. Sarah also provided a cell phone number to text or call if I got lost … which, thankfully, I didn't need. The riad did a small load of laundry for me at no charge. Wifi access was quite good.

As the name riad implies, the Tamarrakecht is a courtyard house with rooms facing inward, without windows to the outside. This means that you will get some household noise, but I found it quite pleasant. The family appears to live on site, which means they take great care of the place. Unlike other places I stayed in Morocco, I did not hear the call to prayers while staying at the Tamarrakecht or noise from the surrounding alleys.

A couple of points to note: 1) the riad takes only cash, no credit cards. 2) Arrival can be a little confusing. The "Bab Aylen" in the riad's address refers to the nearest gate into the medina. Taxis will drop you off there and, unless you've made arrangements with the riad for someone to meet you, you'll have to pay one of the local kids to lead you to the place.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Dresden, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

We arranged for the hotel to pick us up from the airport. This is a good idea if you aren't familiar with Marrakech. We found our driver waiting for us just before we exited the airport. He made his way through the overcrowded and winding roads to a drop-off where we were picked up by the son of the family that owns the Riad (sorry, I forgot his name! But he's extremely nice and helpful!). We had to walk from the drop-off to the riad, but it only took about 2 minutes. I guess because the streets are so narrow and crowded, the taxi couldn't get all the way to the riad? That was an experience alone though. To see everyday life of Moroccans was really interesting... the donkey carts, motorbikes, bicyles and pedestrians everywhere! Very neat. Upon entering the Riad, we were greeted by Sara and asked to sit and enjoy some mint tea and delicious pasteries. The riad gathered our paperwork and Sara sat down with us to discuss what we wanted to do on our trip. We only stayed at Riad Tamarrakecht one night, but Sara was willing to spend the time mapping out the old town and new town and giving us suggestions as to what we should see while in Marrakech. She organized a private 3 day mountain/desert tour for us through a company she is familiar with. If you are planning on doing a mountain/desert tour, I highly recommend asking this riad for help. The riad itself was exquisite. So many rich colors and lovely decorations. It was clean gorgeous. The rooftop was a pleasant place to eat dinner and breakfast. Both meals were delicious and made in house by Sara's mother. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was big, especially compared to the small German bathrooms I'm used to. I thought the walls might be a little thin as I could hear other people outside of our room, but I am a light sleeper and came prepared with earplugs. The in-room fridge was stocked with drinks and bottled water was provided in the room, free of charge. The seating area outside the rooms was inviting and if we spent more time at this riad, it would have been an excellent retreat from the craziness at the souks. Great place. Great people. Great time. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Excellent place, easy walking to the main square, Sara and her brother where very helpful, food was very good. Nice and quite, couldn't even here a certain person snore. Interesting area to walk around and great terrace.

Room Tip: Don't try to find it yourself, ring ahead
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I did a side trip from Spain to Morocco, we stayed at this riad in Marrakech, my senses was assaulted on every side as I came out of the cab,that the riad had sent to pick us up at the airport. Bikes,bicycles were coming from every side and people walking and selling all over,I was a bit apprehensive seeing the surrounding of the riad, but I was really surprised when the door to riad was open ,it was like a peaceful ,lovely ,relaxing oasis, waterfall ,flowers a small pool decorated with rose petals,the welcome by Sara and her brother, tea and pastries to welcome us.our room was beautiful, tastefully decorated ,Sara was so helpful making calls for us,even arranging a camel ride tour for us.the breakfast was simply delicious and plentiful, dinner was the best I had in Marrakech, Sara brother would help us to find our way about. I would highly recommend this riad .simply worth a vist.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Antwerpen, België
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Arrived in this Riad after a week hiking in the mountains and found exactly what we needed
A family runned riad where friendliness, service, and kindness are on place number 1.
The riad itself is very relaxing with the smell of roses everywhere.
Very romantic rooms and a great breakfast.

Definitely my number 1 choice if i am coming back to Marrakesh one day.

One tip: difficult to find, but best way to get there is arrive at Bab Aylan (the aylan gate) then it should be the second or third street left and again the first left.
If you cross the whole medina it will be very difficult...

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Look no further than Riad Tamarrakecht for the perfect place to stay in Marrakech. In short, it is stunningly beautiful, incredibly relaxing and run with a warm professionalism that any hotel should try and replicate. The hospitality we received from Sara and her family was outstanding and really did help to make this trip unforgettable.

We were met at the airport by a pre-arranged taxi organised by Sara (we would highly recommend this, especially if you’re arriving late as the Riad is quite hard to find for the first time). As this was our first trip to Marrakech we didn't know what to expect and we were a little hesitant as we were led down a small alley to a fairly unprepossessing door. The minute we walked inside, we knew we had made the perfect choice; an instant oasis of calm from the busy streets of the Medina!

Upon our arrival, Sara offered us delicious mint tea and Moroccan pastries and then talked us through everything we needed to know – maps, routes, things to see, prices to pay for meals, goods in the Souks, taxi’s and so on….it was all invaluable information! We also ate at the Riad that evening which again, we’d recommend if you arrive late. The food, cooked by Sara’s Mother, was delicious (we ate there again as a result) & the whole evening made for the perfect start to our trip. Breakfast the next day (served on the beautiful sunny roof terrace) was equally delicious and helped set us up for a busy day exploring…after which, nothing could have been better than coming back to Riad Tamarrakecht to relax in our beautiful, spacious and clean room before heading out all over again.

Words cannot express all the wonderful nuances of this fantastic Riad but when we come back to Marrakech, we won’t even need to look on Trip Advisor as we know exactly where we’ll be staying and we cannot wait to go back!

Thank you Sara and your family for all your kindness and for answering our MANY questions!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

The welcome and hospitality we received from Sara and her family and staff helped to make the holiday a positive and unforgettable experience.
We were collected at the airport and we ate in the Riad on the first night as we arrived quite late in the evening. We had contacted Sara prior to our trip to make arrangements.The meals and breakfasts were served on the roof terrace and were excellent.We especially enjoyed the fresh orange juice in the mornings.
The information we were given and maps were really helpful and Sara was always around to help.
I would recommend this Riad to anyone visiting Marrakech.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Tamarrakecht? Share your experiences!