“Amazing Family Run Riad- Great Start to Our Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Riad Tamarrakecht
132 Derb Aghrab Bab Aylen | 132 Derb A ghrab Bab Aylen, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #32 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
Vancouver
“Amazing Family Run Riad- Great Start to Our Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My mom and I stayed at Riad Tamarrakecht in early October. My mom lived in Morocco 40 years ago and this was her first trip back. The Riad arranged an airport transfer which was really great, at the old streets of Marrakech are impossible to navigate on your first day. Riad is not in the centre of Marrakech close to the big square, but rather a 15 min walk away. The was actually really nice, as you had to leave the tourism and enter a real neighbourhood that people from Marrakech live in.

The price was perfect for the room. Our room was on the ground floor and very good sized. Bathroom was clean and hot water everytime for a shower. The first day the smell in the room was almost too strong of cleaning products but it dissipated while we were there.

Breakfast was great. We took it one day on the room and one day in the lobby. Great little Moroccan omelet.

The staff made this Riad. The family care for each guest. They take time to draw a very good map for the guests to make sure they can find their way back to the Riad at the end of the nigh. They spoke over an hour with my mom and I about Morocco and how it has changed since my mom lived there. Sara and her brother even took me out one night and walked around the main square. The showed me authentic moroccoan experiences including drinking a unique tea and eating snails. They told me about their life, school and aspirations. This was really a great start to my trip.

I would recommend this to anyone visiting Marakech

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sierra Foothills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

The Riad Tamarrakecht is very special. From the moment we stepped into the front door to the time we left four days later, our experience at this riad was fantastic. Sara greeted us when we arrived and was very accommodating, charming, and helpful. After providing an informative orientation, she led us to our room - what a great space! The room was beautifully designed and decorated by her father, who is an architect. There is a rooftop terrace for relaxing and dining. It was a pleasure to have their excellent breakfast on the terrace each morning.

Marrackecht is a great city to explore. Since the city is such a pleasurable assault on the senses, it was wonderful to return to the oasis of the riad in the evening to relax from all of the day's activity.

If you are considering Riad Tamarrakecht for your stay in Marrackecht, don't hesitate to book a room here. You will very happy that you did so.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

The Riad is a good one, I can't fault the service of the guys there - impeccable service they provide for their guests. Guests are treated to a lovely welcome reception with mint tea (spiked with an insane amount of sugar) and moroccan pastries/sweets and directions to the main square with a make shift not to scale map which comes in very handy the first time you're weaving your way through the side streets.

I've rated the Riad quite lowly in comparison to the average reviews here because of the following reason below;

I stayed in the room beside the kitchen which has its downsides - as I was in Marrakech to chill out, my days started pretty late in the day and any attempts at a relaxing lie in was ruined from all the chaos, noise and music from the kitchen.

Also, for solo travellers intending to make use of their airport transfer; watch out for the price they quote. In the email, airport transfer is 8 euros however that's conditional to there being at least 2 people in the car - if you're there alone you are charged 16 euros (which I found out whilst checking out before dashing to the airport).

The roof terrace whilst being an open space to chill out and eat has somewhat underwhelming views but they've usually got music playing.

Asides from those slight issues listed above, it's actually a decent place to stay. The guys speak decent amount of English for non Arabic and french speakers and provide recommendations on activities (in the unlikely event one hasn't done that much research into things).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Halifax, NS.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

When you first get to Marrakech, it can be slightly overwhelming, but as soon as you step into Riad Tamarrakecht, you immediately feel at home. This family business has THE FRIENDLIEST, most lovely staff imaginable. After a cup of mint tea, a few little biscuits, a nice conversation, and 20 minutes on the very chill, very cool rooftop terrace, we were immediately so thankful we stayed here.
A what's more, its super affordable too! We stayed in 4 Riads during our time in Morocco, and this is by FAR the best.
Stay at this Riad, you won't regret it!

edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed for two nights in September and from the moment we stepped in from the dusty, arid, manic streets outside we immediately knew we were somewhere special. We were met with Smiles in abundance as we were checked in and shown around their beautiful riad and home, and this was a recurring theme throughout our stay with all members of the family. Our room was on the ground floor at the back of the communal area and it was perfect for our needs especially being not too hot at night as it had air con. Wifi is touch and go in the room but just next door in the communal area with its vast array of couches and corners to laze and stretch out you will get reception no problem. Breakfasts are legendary and can be taken anywhere in the riad. The staff did so much for us during our stay and we were so sad to be leaving to another riad during our marrakesh stay. Lastly, I cannot believe the price of this place as it truly is one of the most outstanding places I have ever been.

Room Tip: Just don't stay anywhere else in marrakesh!!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a gem of a place to stay and really amazing value compared to other riads in the medina. The breakfast, in a terrace with a romantic Bedouin-style tented area and several friendly cats (and spectacular but not so friendly cacti!) was particularly impressive. Unlike other Marrakech breakfasts which are usually continental, this was a two-course feast with delicious cooked eggs and peppers followed by a basket of pastries. Extra touches like hairdyers, robes and a big bowl of fruit in the room on arrival were really special and unexpected in this price range. The young man who greeted us with mint tea and pastries also hand-drew a map for us and helped us to orient ourselves. This riad is quite a way from the Jmaa el Fnar square so people who get easily lost should be cautious and take a card for the hotel (and their hand-drawn map) with them.
The staff were super friendly - so friendly, in fact, that when I made a mistake about the conversion rate from Euros to Dirham, they agreed with me (even though I was wrong) and charged me less money than I should have paid. I felt really bad about this afterwards! But it only makes me write an even more glowing review now!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Abingdon, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was a fabulous retreat from the chaos that is the Marrakesh Madina. The family running this Riad were incredibly welcoming and really couldn't do enough to make our stay as wonderful as possible. Definitely ranks as one of my best experiences of hospitality.

When we (myself and my partner) arrived in the evening we were greeted with mint tea and local pastries and invited to sit down and relax in the main courtyard. The two main people who dealt with us were Sara and her brother whose name has escaped me (both spoke excellent English)! After arriving the brother sat with us to give us a hand drawn map and talked us through the most direct route to get to the main square Jemaa el Fna in enough detail to help us successfully not get lost which really was invaluable. He pointed out the main tourist points worth visiting, gave us a few pointers about what tricks locals might pull and we were given a phone number which we were invited to call at any point in case we got lost and they would come looking for us. This family really could not do enough for us! Later during our stay our flight schedule was changed which meant we needed new boarding passes printed (Ryanair eh...) and again the staff were more than happy to help us out with this. These were all things that they didn't have to do but did with a smile. The family really made us feel that this was a home away from home.

The breakfast was excellent and kept us going for most of the day. This is served on the roof which has a lovely set up of tabled seating, sun loungers and a covered soft seating area which is perfect for a bit of down time in the heat. Our room itself was beautiful with a four poster bed and huge shower in the ensuite which was excellent (oh and the air conditioning was very welcome). The Riad also has free wi-fi which was especially handy when we needed to find out about the changes to our flights.

It's definitely worth arranging transfers from the airport with the Riad as there is a 99.9% chance that you will never find the place without being led there directly. It's tucked away around a few corners in the heart of the Medina which is a totally different world! The location itself was a reasonable 15 minute walk away from the main square and you can reach most significant tourist spots by walking. Being tucked away afforded the nice bonus of it being very quiet at night so a good night's sleep is possible after a long day of sightseeing.

Overall I could not recommend this Riad enough and can't emphasise just how fantastic the people running this place are. The price was incredibly reasonable for the room and service we received and we would happily return. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad Tamarrakecht? Share your experiences!