“fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

we stayed at this lovely riad twice, once on first arriving in Morocco and then for our last sad night before flying away
Jawad and Beatrice (Stephan's mom) welcomed us so warmly that we truly felt that we were part of the family - the airline had lost our luggage and the people at the riad could not have been more helpful with everything they could (side note - one of the other guests extremely sweetly offered us her clothes to borrow!)
1 small issue was that our room overlooked the inner courtyard, and some people came in late 1 night making a ruckus (the sound really travels and bounces off the high walls)
the rooftop terrace is a lovely retreat and the little sitting rooms off the courtyard perfect for a little reading or figuring out one's next adventure in Marrakech
on our next stay we felt like we were coming home and were leaving our family the next morning (sigh) - if ever in Marrakech, do not miss this riad!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
North Bend, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We had the luxury of spending three nights here in the "Suite Salma", booked through our travel guides. Reaching the entrance door from the dark alleyways in the medina, we were wondering what we'd see on the other side of that door. Well, it was a nice surprise! We were greeted by Jawad, who was very gracious and friendly. Two guys from Spain (Stephan and Xavier) had purchased the riad five years ago and totally renovated it. There are 6 rooms/suites. Ours was a very large suite on the second floor with 6 windows, some are balconies overlooking the courtyard below. There is a little niche with a cushion, lined with pillows, that became my hangout while using the free wifi and reading books. Our bathroom was a huge room with a very large shower at one end, two sink with very usable "ladders" to hang towels to dry upon.
The room was decorated beautifully, as was the entire riad. We ate dinner in on our first night there and had some of our best food while in Morocco. We had breakfast on the rooftop each morning. What a treat!
I would say this is one of the best stays we've ever had in all our travels.

Room Tip: Try for the Suite Salma, it's worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Couldn't have asked for a more perfect stay, from the a moment we arrived to the very sad morning we left! Stephan couldn't have been more helpful with recommendations of where to eat or visit! The breakfasts were so tasty and the night we ate at the riad the tagines were the best we had in morroco! But most importantly it was the most beautiful place we have ever stayed the riad really is an oasis from the craziness outside! Couldn't recommend more!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

My partner and I stayed in the beautiful Riad, and we loved every minute of it :)
Roof terrace is great for afternoon siesta, rooms are beautiful and spotless, staff is lovely.
We also had our stay for a great price, but even if we paid more than we did, it would've been well worth it.
Location is great, food is delicious (and there is plenty of vegetarian options), I would definitely return :) One of the best places I have ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Arcata, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

My wife Kathleen and I just returned home from a month vacation in Morocco. We started our trip in Marrakech and spent a week at Riad Snan 13. The level of hospitality we received from Stephan and his staff upon our arrival was so genuine and welcoming. During the week we also got to meet Stephan's parents Luis and Beatriz who were wonderful hosts. They made us feel like family.

Everything about our experience at Raid Snan 13 was fantastic from the location within the medina, the food served, and the beautiful rooms we had. The Riad is such a great oasis to return to after a day of exploring Marrakech.

At the end of our trip we took the train from Fes to Marrakech and returned to Raid Snan 13. This time we got to meet Xavier who picked right up where Stephan, Beatriz, and Luis left off on our initial stay. Xavier arranged for us to dine at the Riad on our last night. We had enjoyed the breakfasts and a few dinners during our first stay which were excellent. However, the meal prepared on our last night was really wonderful starting with gazpacho soup, appetizers, and the most fantastic tangine we had eaten on our trip. The tangine consisted of chicken, green olives, and green beans with a spice combination that was magical. Dessert was a fruit crepe that was a perfect compliment to the meal.

All of the elements of this Riad are extraordinary from the architecture, tasteful furnishings, comfort, peace and quiet, food etc. However what truly makes a difference is the level of service provided by Stephan and Xavier and their staff. If you are looking for an incredible place to stay while in Marrakech look no further.

Room Tip: All five rooms are unique and lovely.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

I was in Rabat for work and I had the opportunity to stay in Morocco over a weekend for holidays. I decided to visit Marrakesh: I was already there a couple of years ago and I wanted to go back to complete the visit. Last time I was in a big riad: it was fine, however this time I wanted to find an accommodation that would have been an experience by itself.. and I likely found the Riad Snan13: what a great staying!
This riad is constituted by only 5-6 rooms, and managed directly by the owner that is always present there, taking care of any small details with passion and kindness: it is clear that this activity is his own 'baby' and that makes the difference with any other accommodation I have experienced so far (and I must say I am travelling a lot…). He is taking care of your staying already before your arrival arranging the transport (in my case from the station) to the riad. He was at the riad at that moment and he came to pick me up directly from the border of the medina (the transport service cannot enter the old part of the city). He was very helpful any moment, providing information on what to visit, advising and if necessary reserving a table to the restaurants (by the way, one evening I decided to stay in the riad having a dinner there: absolutely to experience that: tasteful but light, traditional but not obvious in the preparation; freshly prepared just before serving it… I am Italian and I might be quite demanding in regard to that :D, but I was fully satisfied). All the staff is extremely kind and helpful: as far as I noticed there are 3-4 staff that, even if not always all present there at the same time, gives an idea of the service provided, particularly in relation to the number of rooms.
Finally, few words on the riad itself. You will be always told or you will read about the ‘enchanting atmosphere’ and the pleasant contrast between the chaos and hectic life in the narrow streets of the medina and the suk, and the quietness inside of a riad: well, this is actually what you experience in the riad Snan13, and I think for two main reasons: 1) first of all because the structure: there are few rooms (so few guests..) and the spaces have not been exploited to accommodate as many people as possible; There are nice areas in the common parts of the riad where to relax, sit on a sofa, read, listening to music, stay chatting with other guests in the evening; 2) Secondly, because of the decoration (colors, accessories like lamps, tables, chairs): of course everything is reminding you that you are in Morocco, in a riad located in the old part of a city, but you are not overwhelmed by exaggerated decorations, pretentious details, that after an initial surprise might be annoying and revealing their fake nature (at least from what I remember of my previous staying in another riad); on the contrary the riad Snan13 is an oasis of good taste, a wise choice of decorations and furniture, that creates a relaxing atmosphere but still keeping the flavor and reminiscence of the country you are visiting.

It was great pleasure to wake up every morning in this riad...feeling at home and on holidays at the same time...

Well.. in conclusion I would say that it is a place were absolutely I hope to be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Fussen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

All is just perfect, great location, best Service, friendly staff, beautiful interior, great food, wonderful hospitality!!! Thank you for a wonderful Holiday in your riad. All excursions and Dinner recommondations were just perfect

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Riad Snan13? Share your experiences!