“Intense Hospitality” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 543 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Dar Najat's Kitchen-"best home made gastronomy in Marrakech"New restaurant, part of the Riad Dar Najat. Traditional Moroccan food, reservations accepted the day before or before two o'clock for the same day.Cheers!dar najat's team. PLEASE, BE KIND TO REACH ME BACK ON THE MAIL PROVIDED for any booking or on phone.
Seattle, Washington
“Intense Hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

It. was as if you visited your best Moroccan friend. They are normally closed for lunch, but I was invited up to terrace for a cup of mint tea, then as the chef reported to work with his arms full of bags of ingredients, the server came and asked me if their 'house dish' would be acceptable.

How could I refuse? It. was a tangine of minced beef topped with eggs served with and avocado salad and aubergine side. Absolutely delicious.

The atmosphere was perfect. Cool despite the noon day sun, and eclectic music from Santana to Moroccan ethnic. The owner was a DJ in previous life so expect the music to be a part of the dining experience but not so loud as to be intrusive.

Definitely a place to be sought out when in the medina of Marrakech.

London
“Overhyped or just an off day?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

To put this into context my girlfriend and I are real foodies. After reading the reviews on here we were very excited to try what Dar Najat had to offer.

Booking was simple and can be done on line, we took up the offer of someone meeting us in the square to guide us to the Riad else we would have gotten lost.....very lost......

When inside the setting was quite nice and service genuinely warm and friendly, Tariq and Amin are both big assets to the restaurant.

Too the food........

A delicious selection of warm and cold starters, a cold potato based salad and a more what we would consider traditional salad together with a warm pepper salad and some cooked green beans in a tasty dressing. At this point we thought we were on a winner, good portions and tasty.

Unfortunately the mains under delivered so badly I would not even say it could be called as average, they were poor. We were given one lamb tagine and one chicken. The lamb was a cheap cut (seemed like knuckle but I could be wrong) which I do not mind as long as my food is tasty and well cooked! This was neither, the lamb was dry and clung to the cartelidge/bone rather than falling off and tasted......well.....bland is probably the shortest and most accurate word. The chicken echoed the lamb dish, dry (so dry it was hard to swallow) and again tasteless.

So to my title, overhyped or a bad day? Can so many reviewers be so wrong? I'm not sure, but take it from me our experience of the food was not good.

Good service and starters get this a barely scraped two stars.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
RiadDarNajat, Owner at Dar Najat's Kitchen, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Hi and many thanks for the post..so..all in all.. that's fun to see that we did care of the customer to meet him in Jemaa el Fna and say .."else we would have gotten lost.....very lost ”......
..Not very positive..instead of maybe saying it was a nice touch..
..and i would say that" let's get lost" is a great tune from Chet Baker..
A part of music & location ,sorry if the reviewer didn't appreciated the lamb ( not cheap my friend..in any case..) and the chicken.
The customer might appreciate or not appreciate but in any case, we buy the best and only the best and nothing “cheap” I would just say..
Last..happy anyway that the staff and the starters get his appreciation..and sorry if it was overcooked..not too cooked.. and maybe ,you are right ,with the Ramadan ,sometimes things can be not as great as they should be
.. and especially when the temperature jump to 45/48 ° Celsius without eating and drinking..maybe again ,we can't ask the team to be totally "full power" but in any case ,we should be able to cook carefully.
Sorry again if it was not the case on this precise night and hope that the guest may give us another chance to have him perfectly happy with all..
cheers! Oliver.
North Yorkshire, England
“Best food in Marrakech”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Having eaten out in a number of restaurants/ cafes in Marrakech, I can highly recommend the food at Dar Najat. All food is freshly prepared and cooked in the very clean kitchen. Staff are friendly and responsive and nothing is enough trouble for them.
The whole experience is one to remember -not only will you get a great Moroccon meal -you will experience the fantastic surroundings. Dar Najat -especially in the evening -is very romantic -soft lightning -furnished to the highest standards -plus the lit jacuzzi. Moroccon music also softly playing.
I highly recommend the lemon tagine and choice of vegetables. I have eaten this dish in a number of places but it does not compare to the standard at Dar Najat. Very good prices too.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Authentic riad, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

The most important detail: if you are not staying at the riad, make sure to call ahead so a staffer will meet you in the main square. Dar najat is on a residential road which is barely lit; finding this place was a massive undertaking.

But we were glad we came. Service is very liesurely, and the friendly staff wants you to enjoy a complete evening. Great apps, excellent tanjine, and a refreshing fruit cocktail for dessert. Fixed menu.

Very good food at an authentic riad. If we return, I would strongly favor returning to far najat.

münchen
“Excellent/Authentic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Many fresh morrocain salads and a fabulous couscous royal made me realy happy!

Visited June 2012