“Favourite Part of the Trip” 5 of 5 stars

House of Fusion Marrakech
Derb Jdid 81 | Riad Zitoune Lkdim, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #33 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Toronto, Canada
“Favourite Part of the Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

After looking at a number of options for a cooking class, a friend and I settled on HOF based on a recommendation from our Riad and having seen it a number of times walking around the Medina. This was the highlight of our trip. The half day class we did was the complete experience starting with discussing the menu over an amazing cup of coffee to learning our 'shopping arabic' and picking out the perfect produce at the market and finally enjoying the multitude of dishes we made.

Edwina and Taufik were excellent hosts providing great instruction with a sense of humour. I appreciated Edwina's style and that we wrote our own recipes. Generally its nice to work in pairs so one writes, while the other does the prep. The clean up and set up is taken care of by the hosts/staff as well which allows you to focus on the cooking and jotting the recipes. They were also very accommodating and allowed our friend, who didn't participate in the class, join the group for lunch for a reasonable fee.

I highly recommend going with the sardines and carrot jam. Really all the dishes were excellent and some of the best food we had in Morocco. My friends, who generally don't eat meat, made an exception so they could enjoy the lamb and chicken tajine.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I found this place while wandering around the medina. It tempted me to walk in with a sign saying 'epic mojitos' are served in this place. That's how I met Edwina and heard about her cooking classes. Few days later I arrived at 'House of fusion' early in the morning to take part in an amazing cooking experience. We had a day full of fun and we cooked a beautiful meal. I will definitely come back for another class when I visit Marrakech next year!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We did not stay in this Riad but had an evening meal. It was by far the best meal we had on our week long trip. Had I known in advance, we would have booked in for the cooking class. Why was it so great?

A) Service and hospitality - Edwina knew what we needed at all times. We didn't even need to ask. We enjoyed her company as well. While she is not Moroccan (originally from Australia) she has lived in Morocco a long time. After the meal, we invited her to join our conversation and we learned a lot about the country through the eyes of a foreigner which was interesting to us.

B) Quality - you could smell her cooking down the street at all hours of the day and it smelled good! Over powering often the undesirable smells u tend to pick up while walking through the medina. I can't say that about most of the other restaurants we passed. The other comparable meal we had in price at Dar Esalam did not come close in terms of flavour or quality.

C) Atmosphere - after two evenings of fighting the crowds in the main square trying to get a good roof terrace with a view for our meal... Relaxing on Edwina's quiet, roof-top terrace was a blessing. Sipping on a mojito under an umbrella on a super comfy, pillowy bench was amazing.

D) Price for alcoholic beverages - much better here then at other places.

E) Dessert - was a real dessert with proper Grenache and meringue with a Moroccan twist. A true fusion of flavours that worked amazingly well. Sure beat out the typical fruit cup and yogurt offerings at even the best of the other places we tried.

Edwina's onto something good in the food department. She offers organised tours as well which sound much more sophisticated, tailored and unique to the competition (possibly more suited to a more mature market and myself being 6 months pregnant) but we did not get a chance to try them.

Room Tip: We didn't stay in this riad. There is no pool which was one of our requirements but looked good...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were walking from our hotel (Riad Samsli) and noted the sign advertising "Epic Mohitos" and went in to check out the menu. During the day it is a cooking school run by an Australian expatriate and her Moroccan husband and at night it is a small, quaint restaurant with "Epic Mohitos" and wonderful Moroccan food in quantities that defy consumption of it all. More like eating in someone's house than in a restaurant (and they do live there).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Kaiserslautern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Marrakech can put one into sensory overload after a couple of days of walking through the city,seeing the sights,sampling the food and shopping. The best break for me is to get into a kitchen and do a little cooking in order to slow things down a bit and process or "steep" in a new cultural experience. House of Fusion was the perfect place to do just that. My husband and I signed up for the half day course and got a truly delightful experience that included a little language instruction, history, food shopping and a lot of cooking and eating.
The owners are very personable and friendly and willing to allow for varied levels of skill in the kitchen. They have a great knowledge of both the local spice palate and technics for making a variety of traditional dishes. It is a "hands on" experience and not merely a demo making it all the more enjoyable. Each item we made was gone over in detail and there was enough time to write everything down in order to re-create the entire menu.
The one down-side was the lack of truly good quality chef's knives; both my husband and I agreed on that but it actually had little effect on the end result which was delicious and well plated and much enjoyed. A must-try experience for anyone with time in the area.
Although we did not stay at this Riad it is certainly at the top of my list if we return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

By pure chance we found ourselves sitting next to Edwina on the flight out to Marrakech - a very lucky coincidence (thanks easyJet).

During our conversations she told us something of Taofik - her husband, the House of Fusion, its location, the culinary school they run, the menu they offer and, as it turned out, importantly for us since we have a preference for the countryside and its people as opposed to cities and theirs, the allegedly truly unique tours they were able to offer which included a gastronomic experience.

Now, if you travel a lot you tend to hear all sorts of stories and may be forgiven for developing a certain cynicism with respect to some of them... so forgive me the 'allegedly' Edwina!

She is some salesperson.

By the end of the 3.5 hour flight we had agreed to join two of the House of Fusion's tours - one to a Berber village where we would join a family for the day and learn to prepare and cook a tangine and couscous in the traditional way; the second to explore another part of the Atlas mountains during which we would partake in a gourmet picnic.

Both tours were absolutely brilliant.

We're both ancient and Morocco was the 40th country we had visited together, so we've seen and experienced a lot - nevertheless, we quickly placed both tours well up there at the top of our 'most memorable list' - and the food (a) that we helped the wonderful Berber host family prepare on the first quickly helped overcome the pain of that one hour mule ride (as well as thought of the return journey); and (b) which was provided by Edwina and Taufik on the second, fully justified our faith in that Aussie/Moroccan union.

I guess you don't really need to be a 'good salesperson' when you've something truly different, and really good to offer!

I could go on about this for some words, but that might sound like me attempting to sell something, so I won't ...

Oh, I should however mention and also thank Mustapha Zeroual, our driver and part-time guide (he's not on 'Trip Advisor', so I can't add as much about him as I'd like- but if you do find yourself in Marrakech, in need of a driver/guide/companion, wanting to do something different - with or without the food relationship, try our Mustapha at mustaphacovi@hotmail.com . Please don't knock that bit out Trip Advisor, he really is worth a mention).

Bill

PS: We only visited the House of Fusion itself very briefly after our second trip, so can't say more about it that that it looked great, what we saw was spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated and that it's location in the Medina is perfect if that is what you're looking for - and why shouldn't it be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This review is a little belated (Sorry Edwina). We visited Marrakech in September 2012. My daughter and I did not stay at this Riad, however fortuitously happened to see their culinary school sign (House of Fusion) and enquired within. The Riad is gorgeous and beautifully decorated. Edwina and Taofouk welcomed us warmly and gave us loads of information regarding tours and cooking classes. In what seemed a blink of an eye, they had arranged a private tour for my daughter and I to visit the Atlas Mountains the very next day. We were escorted by Taofouk who along with his driver took us to the Atlas Mountains where we were met by locals who then took us by mule up the mountains to a small Berber community. We spent the day with these warm, happy and generous people, cooking tagines, baking bread and learning about their culture. This experience was so unique and unforgettable and has left us with a love for all things Moroccan. We felt like we were taking part in a documentary and I haven't stopped talking about it since!

We also took part in an all day extensive cooking class which we enjoyed immensely as well. So many courses, so much to learn and ever so much delicious food to eat afterwards! We went to the local markets to purchase the produce for the cooking class. That was a wonderful experience as I had to speak Arabic (which Taofoulk taught me earlier in the day) so that added to the experience. This was very much a hands-on class with so many things to learn. My love of Moroccan food has now become a little obsessive. Keeping up with Edwina's cooking skills was a challenge, however she is so much fun that you just get on with it and hope to remember as much as you can.

All in all, an amazing experience. Thank you Edwina and Taofouk. Hope to visit you again.

Anne and Mellanie

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to House of Fusion Marrakech? Share your experiences!