“Change of pace and taste cooking” 4 of 5 stars

House of Fusion Marrakech
Derb Jdid 81 | Riad Zitoune Lkdim, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #32 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Change of pace and taste cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Marrakech can put one into sensory overload after a couple of days of walking through the city,seeing the sights,sampling the food and shopping. The best break for me is to get into a kitchen and do a little cooking in order to slow things down a bit and process or "steep" in a new cultural experience. House of Fusion was the perfect place to do just that. My husband and I signed up for the half day course and got a truly delightful experience that included a little language instruction, history, food shopping and a lot of cooking and eating.
The owners are very personable and friendly and willing to allow for varied levels of skill in the kitchen. They have a great knowledge of both the local spice palate and technics for making a variety of traditional dishes. It is a "hands on" experience and not merely a demo making it all the more enjoyable. Each item we made was gone over in detail and there was enough time to write everything down in order to re-create the entire menu.
The one down-side was the lack of truly good quality chef's knives; both my husband and I agreed on that but it actually had little effect on the end result which was delicious and well plated and much enjoyed. A must-try experience for anyone with time in the area.
Although we did not stay at this Riad it is certainly at the top of my list if we return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bromley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

By pure chance we found ourselves sitting next to Edwina on the flight out to Marrakech - a very lucky coincidence (thanks easyJet).

During our conversations she told us something of Taofik - her husband, the House of Fusion, its location, the culinary school they run, the menu they offer and, as it turned out, importantly for us since we have a preference for the countryside and its people as opposed to cities and theirs, the allegedly truly unique tours they were able to offer which included a gastronomic experience.

Now, if you travel a lot you tend to hear all sorts of stories and may be forgiven for developing a certain cynicism with respect to some of them... so forgive me the 'allegedly' Edwina!

She is some salesperson.

By the end of the 3.5 hour flight we had agreed to join two of the House of Fusion's tours - one to a Berber village where we would join a family for the day and learn to prepare and cook a tangine and couscous in the traditional way; the second to explore another part of the Atlas mountains during which we would partake in a gourmet picnic.

Both tours were absolutely brilliant.

We're both ancient and Morocco was the 40th country we had visited together, so we've seen and experienced a lot - nevertheless, we quickly placed both tours well up there at the top of our 'most memorable list' - and the food (a) that we helped the wonderful Berber host family prepare on the first quickly helped overcome the pain of that one hour mule ride (as well as thought of the return journey); and (b) which was provided by Edwina and Taufik on the second, fully justified our faith in that Aussie/Moroccan union.

I guess you don't really need to be a 'good salesperson' when you've something truly different, and really good to offer!

I could go on about this for some words, but that might sound like me attempting to sell something, so I won't ...

Oh, I should however mention and also thank Mustapha Zeroual, our driver and part-time guide (he's not on 'Trip Advisor', so I can't add as much about him as I'd like- but if you do find yourself in Marrakech, in need of a driver/guide/companion, wanting to do something different - with or without the food relationship, try our Mustapha at mustaphacovi@hotmail.com . Please don't knock that bit out Trip Advisor, he really is worth a mention).

Bill

PS: We only visited the House of Fusion itself very briefly after our second trip, so can't say more about it that that it looked great, what we saw was spotlessly clean and beautifully decorated and that it's location in the Medina is perfect if that is what you're looking for - and why shouldn't it be.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This review is a little belated (Sorry Edwina). We visited Marrakech in September 2012. My daughter and I did not stay at this Riad, however fortuitously happened to see their culinary school sign (House of Fusion) and enquired within. The Riad is gorgeous and beautifully decorated. Edwina and Taofouk welcomed us warmly and gave us loads of information regarding tours and cooking classes. In what seemed a blink of an eye, they had arranged a private tour for my daughter and I to visit the Atlas Mountains the very next day. We were escorted by Taofouk who along with his driver took us to the Atlas Mountains where we were met by locals who then took us by mule up the mountains to a small Berber community. We spent the day with these warm, happy and generous people, cooking tagines, baking bread and learning about their culture. This experience was so unique and unforgettable and has left us with a love for all things Moroccan. We felt like we were taking part in a documentary and I haven't stopped talking about it since!

We also took part in an all day extensive cooking class which we enjoyed immensely as well. So many courses, so much to learn and ever so much delicious food to eat afterwards! We went to the local markets to purchase the produce for the cooking class. That was a wonderful experience as I had to speak Arabic (which Taofoulk taught me earlier in the day) so that added to the experience. This was very much a hands-on class with so many things to learn. My love of Moroccan food has now become a little obsessive. Keeping up with Edwina's cooking skills was a challenge, however she is so much fun that you just get on with it and hope to remember as much as you can.

All in all, an amazing experience. Thank you Edwina and Taofouk. Hope to visit you again.

Anne and Mellanie

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed near HOF recently and were pleased we popped our heads in and made a dinner reservation. Not having to choose from a menu and being presented with amazing dishes that Edwina and her husband had spent all day preparing. Friendly team with a good atmosphere. We hope to return and stay at HOF soon.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I deliberately chose the HOF cooking class as its lasts the whole day and seemed more than just a demonstration. I was right! it was absolutely fantastic and a must do if you are looking for an actual class where you get to cook and are into your food and I mean into your food. I'm still wondering how we managed to cook such a lot of absolutely amazing food in the time given - I think we totalled 13 different dishes including the must-have Moroccan tea.

Edwina and her husband are lovely and so unbelievably welcoming. The arabic lesson set me up for the rest of my trip and the jaunt to the spice souks was great - you could spend ages wandering Marrakech trying to find the best herbs and spices at the best prices but getting them with Edwina and her friends means you don't have to worry about being mis-sold. It was amazing to cook all morning then sit down for an incredible lunch and then cook all afternoon. It really is a full day experience and one that I cannot recommend enough - and finishing it all off with a well earnt Mojito was also up there on my experiences in Morocco.

One thing I would recommend is if you are doing a long trip starting in Marrakech - do this first as the arabic learnt will really help on your travels. If you are only staying in Marrakech I would recommend doing it last before you leave - otherwise, the rest of the food you eat in Marrakech will pale in comparison to the things you have been cooking and eating at HOF, unless of course you decide to spend the rest of your time cooking with Edwina at the House of Fusion Marrakech! - something which I intend to do when I go back to Morocco.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My family and I took part in Edwina's "long-half day" cooking class at the reccomendation of a few friends. We are sure glad we took their advice beacuse we had an awesome experience. Upon arriving we all sat down to have coffee and tea to discuss the food we had enjoyed thus far on our trip and things we might want to learn to cook. We made a huge laundry list of amazing dishes that we would cook and then got a quick Arabic lesson so we could talk with the shop owners in the market to get our fresh ingredients ourselves. After our shopping which was a joy, we got back to the Riad and got to cooking! With our note books out that were provided we wrote down the recipes as we went along. Edwina really knows her stuff and the food we made was incredible! Some of the most flavorful food I've ever tasted and definitely some of the best in Morocco. When she reccommends the sardines...DO IT! You will be shocked at how tastey they are! I refused to eat them my whole life because in my mind they all come in a metal tin but these were fresh and to die for. Each dish had a presentation that made it all the better. Not only did it look like it was prepared by a 5 star restaurant but it tasted like it as well. My only regret is that I could not fit more into my stomach! As our time came to a close we spent nearly an hour just sitting and talking with Edwina and her husband. We really had a delightful time and when we said goodbye to Edwina, we felt like we were saying goodbye to a friend. If you take a cooking class in Marrakech, do so with Edwina!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

While my husband and I did not actually stay at this riad, we did attend a "long half-day" class. We were the only 2 in the class, and we were an hour late (we got miserably lost). As soon as we arrived, our host, Edwina, poured us some coffee, and we got to it. The reason I picked her class was because it looks like almost all the other cooking classes in Marrakech only teach tagine and couscous - as an experienced cook, I wanted more. Well, I certainly got it!

We sat and discussed what we would make - Edwina made several suggestions (e.g., to try fresh sardines), and I knew of a few things I was interested in, (including, yes, Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons). We made a shopping list, learned a few Arabic words to shop with, and headed to the market. When we returned, she, her chef Mohammed, and the two of us got to chopping and assembling...we jotted down the recipes in small notebooks she gave us (it was tough to keep up with so many dishes, but we did our best). After a few hours, we had made 10 dishes!! A few of her friends came by and we invited them to join us for a real feast. After a couple of bottles of wine and eating ourselves silly, Edwina took us all to the spice market - it was fun! We all sat down and had some wonderful tea with herbs, and enjoyed a good discussion on spices. One of the best things we found was the spice mix Ras el Hanout in its whole form - some 35 whole spices that were ground for us - it smelled great! The seller was very friendly, funny, and did not pressure us in any way.

Edwina ended up spending the entire day with us. So, in summary...great class, fun, fun day - I recommend it highy!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to House of Fusion Marrakech? Share your experiences!