“An Unforgettable Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 182 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
Perth, Australia
“An Unforgettable Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

This review is a little belated (Sorry Edwina). We visited Marrakech in September 2012. My daughter and I did not stay at this Riad, however fortuitously happened to see their culinary school sign (House of Fusion) and enquired within. The Riad is gorgeous and beautifully decorated. Edwina and Taofouk welcomed us warmly and gave us loads of information regarding tours and cooking classes. In what seemed a blink of an eye, they had arranged a private tour for my daughter and I to visit the Atlas Mountains the very next day. We were escorted by Taofouk who along with his driver took us to the Atlas Mountains where we were met by locals who then took us by mule up the mountains to a small Berber community. We spent the day with these warm, happy and generous people, cooking tagines, baking bread and learning about their culture. This experience was so unique and unforgettable and has left us with a love for all things Moroccan. We felt like we were taking part in a documentary and I haven't stopped talking about it since!

We also took part in an all day extensive cooking class which we enjoyed immensely as well. So many courses, so much to learn and ever so much delicious food to eat afterwards! We went to the local markets to purchase the produce for the cooking class. That was a wonderful experience as I had to speak Arabic (which Taofoulk taught me earlier in the day) so that added to the experience. This was very much a hands-on class with so many things to learn. My love of Moroccan food has now become a little obsessive. Keeping up with Edwina's cooking skills was a challenge, however she is so much fun that you just get on with it and hope to remember as much as you can.

All in all, an amazing experience. Thank you Edwina and Taofouk. Hope to visit you again.

Anne and Mellanie

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

25 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed near HOF recently and were pleased we popped our heads in and made a dinner reservation. Not having to choose from a menu and being presented with amazing dishes that Edwina and her husband had spent all day preparing. Friendly team with a good atmosphere. We hope to return and stay at HOF soon.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I deliberately chose the HOF cooking class as its lasts the whole day and seemed more than just a demonstration. I was right! it was absolutely fantastic and a must do if you are looking for an actual class where you get to cook and are into your food and I mean into your food. I'm still wondering how we managed to cook such a lot of absolutely amazing food in the time given - I think we totalled 13 different dishes including the must-have Moroccan tea.

Edwina and her husband are lovely and so unbelievably welcoming. The arabic lesson set me up for the rest of my trip and the jaunt to the spice souks was great - you could spend ages wandering Marrakech trying to find the best herbs and spices at the best prices but getting them with Edwina and her friends means you don't have to worry about being mis-sold. It was amazing to cook all morning then sit down for an incredible lunch and then cook all afternoon. It really is a full day experience and one that I cannot recommend enough - and finishing it all off with a well earnt Mojito was also up there on my experiences in Morocco.

One thing I would recommend is if you are doing a long trip starting in Marrakech - do this first as the arabic learnt will really help on your travels. If you are only staying in Marrakech I would recommend doing it last before you leave - otherwise, the rest of the food you eat in Marrakech will pale in comparison to the things you have been cooking and eating at HOF, unless of course you decide to spend the rest of your time cooking with Edwina at the House of Fusion Marrakech! - something which I intend to do when I go back to Morocco.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My family and I took part in Edwina's "long-half day" cooking class at the reccomendation of a few friends. We are sure glad we took their advice beacuse we had an awesome experience. Upon arriving we all sat down to have coffee and tea to discuss the food we had enjoyed thus far on our trip and things we might want to learn to cook. We made a huge laundry list of amazing dishes that we would cook and then got a quick Arabic lesson so we could talk with the shop owners in the market to get our fresh ingredients ourselves. After our shopping which was a joy, we got back to the Riad and got to cooking! With our note books out that were provided we wrote down the recipes as we went along. Edwina really knows her stuff and the food we made was incredible! Some of the most flavorful food I've ever tasted and definitely some of the best in Morocco. When she reccommends the sardines...DO IT! You will be shocked at how tastey they are! I refused to eat them my whole life because in my mind they all come in a metal tin but these were fresh and to die for. Each dish had a presentation that made it all the better. Not only did it look like it was prepared by a 5 star restaurant but it tasted like it as well. My only regret is that I could not fit more into my stomach! As our time came to a close we spent nearly an hour just sitting and talking with Edwina and her husband. We really had a delightful time and when we said goodbye to Edwina, we felt like we were saying goodbye to a friend. If you take a cooking class in Marrakech, do so with Edwina!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

While my husband and I did not actually stay at this riad, we did attend a "long half-day" class. We were the only 2 in the class, and we were an hour late (we got miserably lost). As soon as we arrived, our host, Edwina, poured us some coffee, and we got to it. The reason I picked her class was because it looks like almost all the other cooking classes in Marrakech only teach tagine and couscous - as an experienced cook, I wanted more. Well, I certainly got it!

We sat and discussed what we would make - Edwina made several suggestions (e.g., to try fresh sardines), and I knew of a few things I was interested in, (including, yes, Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons). We made a shopping list, learned a few Arabic words to shop with, and headed to the market. When we returned, she, her chef Mohammed, and the two of us got to chopping and assembling...we jotted down the recipes in small notebooks she gave us (it was tough to keep up with so many dishes, but we did our best). After a few hours, we had made 10 dishes!! A few of her friends came by and we invited them to join us for a real feast. After a couple of bottles of wine and eating ourselves silly, Edwina took us all to the spice market - it was fun! We all sat down and had some wonderful tea with herbs, and enjoyed a good discussion on spices. One of the best things we found was the spice mix Ras el Hanout in its whole form - some 35 whole spices that were ground for us - it smelled great! The seller was very friendly, funny, and did not pressure us in any way.

Edwina ended up spending the entire day with us. So, in summary...great class, fun, fun day - I recommend it highy!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We spent the day at Riad Merdoudi for the cooking classes. It was a truly wonderful, intimate experience. This is not a "cooking demonstration" you will be the hands-on chef! Edwina (Australian, so the teaching was in English) does a wonderful job instructing as well as helping you to experience the culture. We bought our groceries at a local market, learned about our spices at the Founduek, and cooked some of our food in a communal kitchen. The Riad itself is lovely, and well equipped for a wonderful cooking experience. We selected the dishes we wanted to cook and Edwina offered some suggestions that made a delicious menu. You'll walk away with multiple recipes that blend traditional Moroccan food with a twist of modernity! Her staff is also very helpful. Altogether it was a wonderful experience. It was an all day course, but we were enjoying it so much it was over before we knew it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Stafford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

We had a wonderful day at this riad doing a Morrocan Cookery course. After discussing our dishes our lovely teacher/owner of the riad took us off to the markets to buy our ingredients. This was an experience in itself. We then spent the morning preparing our lunch and went off to the communal oven to cook it.
Next came the best bit - the eating. After lunch we went off to the spice market and came back to make several dishes for our evening meal. We even learnt the correct way to make mint tea.
It was an excellent day and we would recommend to anyone interested in cooking and learning about the local way of life - it was great fun.

Incidently we didn't stay at this riad as we were already booked into another hotel - however we were shown round the rooms which were really lovely and our host very friendly

• Liked — Rooms are beautiful
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to House of Fusion Marrakech? Share your experiences!