“So much food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 190 Specialty Lodging in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“So much food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

We stayed near HOF recently and were pleased we popped our heads in and made a dinner reservation. Not having to choose from a menu and being presented with amazing dishes that Edwina and her husband had spent all day preparing. Friendly team with a good atmosphere. We hope to return and stay at HOF soon.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I deliberately chose the HOF cooking class as its lasts the whole day and seemed more than just a demonstration. I was right! it was absolutely fantastic and a must do if you are looking for an actual class where you get to cook and are into your food and I mean into your food. I'm still wondering how we managed to cook such a lot of absolutely amazing food in the time given - I think we totalled 13 different dishes including the must-have Moroccan tea.

Edwina and her husband are lovely and so unbelievably welcoming. The arabic lesson set me up for the rest of my trip and the jaunt to the spice souks was great - you could spend ages wandering Marrakech trying to find the best herbs and spices at the best prices but getting them with Edwina and her friends means you don't have to worry about being mis-sold. It was amazing to cook all morning then sit down for an incredible lunch and then cook all afternoon. It really is a full day experience and one that I cannot recommend enough - and finishing it all off with a well earnt Mojito was also up there on my experiences in Morocco.

One thing I would recommend is if you are doing a long trip starting in Marrakech - do this first as the arabic learnt will really help on your travels. If you are only staying in Marrakech I would recommend doing it last before you leave - otherwise, the rest of the food you eat in Marrakech will pale in comparison to the things you have been cooking and eating at HOF, unless of course you decide to spend the rest of your time cooking with Edwina at the House of Fusion Marrakech! - something which I intend to do when I go back to Morocco.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My family and I took part in Edwina's "long-half day" cooking class at the reccomendation of a few friends. We are sure glad we took their advice beacuse we had an awesome experience. Upon arriving we all sat down to have coffee and tea to discuss the food we had enjoyed thus far on our trip and things we might want to learn to cook. We made a huge laundry list of amazing dishes that we would cook and then got a quick Arabic lesson so we could talk with the shop owners in the market to get our fresh ingredients ourselves. After our shopping which was a joy, we got back to the Riad and got to cooking! With our note books out that were provided we wrote down the recipes as we went along. Edwina really knows her stuff and the food we made was incredible! Some of the most flavorful food I've ever tasted and definitely some of the best in Morocco. When she reccommends the sardines...DO IT! You will be shocked at how tastey they are! I refused to eat them my whole life because in my mind they all come in a metal tin but these were fresh and to die for. Each dish had a presentation that made it all the better. Not only did it look like it was prepared by a 5 star restaurant but it tasted like it as well. My only regret is that I could not fit more into my stomach! As our time came to a close we spent nearly an hour just sitting and talking with Edwina and her husband. We really had a delightful time and when we said goodbye to Edwina, we felt like we were saying goodbye to a friend. If you take a cooking class in Marrakech, do so with Edwina!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Huntington Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

While my husband and I did not actually stay at this riad, we did attend a "long half-day" class. We were the only 2 in the class, and we were an hour late (we got miserably lost). As soon as we arrived, our host, Edwina, poured us some coffee, and we got to it. The reason I picked her class was because it looks like almost all the other cooking classes in Marrakech only teach tagine and couscous - as an experienced cook, I wanted more. Well, I certainly got it!

We sat and discussed what we would make - Edwina made several suggestions (e.g., to try fresh sardines), and I knew of a few things I was interested in, (including, yes, Chicken Tagine with Preserved Lemons). We made a shopping list, learned a few Arabic words to shop with, and headed to the market. When we returned, she, her chef Mohammed, and the two of us got to chopping and assembling...we jotted down the recipes in small notebooks she gave us (it was tough to keep up with so many dishes, but we did our best). After a few hours, we had made 10 dishes!! A few of her friends came by and we invited them to join us for a real feast. After a couple of bottles of wine and eating ourselves silly, Edwina took us all to the spice market - it was fun! We all sat down and had some wonderful tea with herbs, and enjoyed a good discussion on spices. One of the best things we found was the spice mix Ras el Hanout in its whole form - some 35 whole spices that were ground for us - it smelled great! The seller was very friendly, funny, and did not pressure us in any way.

Edwina ended up spending the entire day with us. So, in summary...great class, fun, fun day - I recommend it highy!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We spent the day at Riad Merdoudi for the cooking classes. It was a truly wonderful, intimate experience. This is not a "cooking demonstration" you will be the hands-on chef! Edwina (Australian, so the teaching was in English) does a wonderful job instructing as well as helping you to experience the culture. We bought our groceries at a local market, learned about our spices at the Founduek, and cooked some of our food in a communal kitchen. The Riad itself is lovely, and well equipped for a wonderful cooking experience. We selected the dishes we wanted to cook and Edwina offered some suggestions that made a delicious menu. You'll walk away with multiple recipes that blend traditional Moroccan food with a twist of modernity! Her staff is also very helpful. Altogether it was a wonderful experience. It was an all day course, but we were enjoying it so much it was over before we knew it!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Stafford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2009

We had a wonderful day at this riad doing a Morrocan Cookery course. After discussing our dishes our lovely teacher/owner of the riad took us off to the markets to buy our ingredients. This was an experience in itself. We then spent the morning preparing our lunch and went off to the communal oven to cook it.
Next came the best bit - the eating. After lunch we went off to the spice market and came back to make several dishes for our evening meal. We even learnt the correct way to make mint tea.
It was an excellent day and we would recommend to anyone interested in cooking and learning about the local way of life - it was great fun.

Incidently we didn't stay at this riad as we were already booked into another hotel - however we were shown round the rooms which were really lovely and our host very friendly

• Liked — Rooms are beautiful
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Montreal, QC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

I have mixed feeling about our stay in this Riad and mostly this is due to an unfortunate behavior.

First, the room was wonderful. This riad is very nicely decorated. Edwina which was doing most of the "entertaining" with the guests does it very well. She is obviously funny, she is trying to be helpful but mainly, she's trying to make profit and not always in honest ways.

We took the cooking class. There was another couple matched with us and we had a really great day. The dinner was delicious. But be aware, you have to keep up with Edwina which will do at least three or four recipes at the same time. (So that might mess up your notes... if it is important for you). It was great fun.

I think the reserved I have is about honesty. Honesty about
1. Bringing you to a spice merchant and letting him ripping you off knowing that it is your first day in Morocco and that you are not quite use yet to the bargaining exchange (specially in front of the host/cooking class teacher)
2. Arranging for you a taxi for a day at a fare that is totally insanely out of the price range (600 dh)or if you would have done it by yourself (50dh).
3. Supposedly giving you a rebate on your room rate if you decide to stay a day longer but than charging you unexpected fees to keep your luggages for a day (even lying to our face and making-up a story about it).

Obviously, Marrakech is the worst place for pricing and this is the place in Morocco you will probably get ripped off. At the end of our journey (3 weeks), this is the place that we will remember as NOT the right value for money. The room is also too expensive. We stayed at an alternative hotel in Marrakech that was fine but was 2 times less expensive.

I would still recommend the riad and especially the cooking class but watch your wallet very carefully with the owner and the "spice man".

• Liked — Cooking class
  • Disliked — honesty of the owner
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
gibboLosAngles, owner at House of Fusion Marrakech, responded to this review, December 23, 2008
Gosh, what a review! Let's start with the spice trader..as part of the cooking class, we offer the opportunity to visit a traders' fondouk where you are able to buy small quantities of the spices used during the class, if that's what you'd love to do. The particular trader we patronize was chosen for not only the quality of his spices but also for being so accommodating as to sell to our class small amounts and not sacks as is his usual trade..
We recall that we had arranged a local and mountain taxi with you to take you to Mt Toubkal. This was going to be 50 dhms to take you by petit taxi from the riad to where the mountain taxis leave, as you had a considerable amount of luggage. From there by mountain taxi, it was going to be 600 dhms to hire the entire taxi to take you all the way to Mt. Toubkal and not just leave you at the normal drop off point at Asni. On the morning of your departure you learned that other guests were having a day out with our driver and if they detoured, they could take you too! We had to then arrange a larger car, not only to include you but also your considerable luggage. We are not sure who you believed would be paying for you to travel by private car.. we hope it wasn't expected that our day outing guests would! We charged you 300 dms, less than half if you had travelled, locally. We were surprised but accommodating when our driver returned to the riad with all your luggage to store! As you had checked-out, we and also our driver weren't expecting your luggage to boomerang for storing! Where is the surprise in having to pay for this facility, I wonder! Was life more joyous when we traded in beads!

Been to House of Fusion Marrakech? Share your experiences!