“dont go!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Amlal

You added Riad Amlal to your Saves list
Riad Amlal
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Rue El Gza, Derb Ezzamuri Sidi Bouaamar No 128, Medina,, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #627 of 1,080 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Barcelona, Spain
“dont go!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

room at ground floor is dark and ugly. it's very noisy, especially because staff is listening to loud music at night, even though they know you are in the room. speakers are attached at the door, so if you want to rest its impossible! shower pressure is very weak, if someone is using hot water in the kitchen, only few drops are coming out. staff is smoking and eating on the sofas all day long. looks like you disturb them if you go asking for something. you have to pay for laundry facilities, but depend who you are talking with, the price is changing. we have been offered a desert trip witch was 70 euros more expensive than other agencies prices. that's a rip off!!! towels have stains and the bed cover was dirty, like someone dropped hot chocolate (hopefully). we could stand all the issues, but not the unfriendly staff. we didn't feel welcomed at all.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

We booked Riad Amlal because of its budget price (we arrived on New Year's Eve and many other places were either unavailable or expensive). After having just arrived in Marrakesh and trekking through the streets, it was a relief to get inside the quiet courtyard of this riad. We were invited to sit down and served tea straight away, which was a nice touch.

There was a bit of a hiccup with the booking - we had booked a private double room, and were told on arrival that there was a problem with the light in the room. It turned out instead that the hotel had been overbooked (understandable, as it was NYE) and there were only dorm rooms available. We were quite happy to stay in a dorm for a lower price, but would have preferred to be told straight up that this was the case.

Other than that, the beds were comfortable, the atmosphere was peaceful and quiet, Mustapha kept us and the other guests very entertained and celebrated NYE with us, Hicham gave us a map and talked us through directions and attractions, and the riad's location is good, quite easily accessible via a straight street from Jemaa al-Fna. If you're happy to stay in a dorm, we would recommend Riad Amlal.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

I've stayed @ many hostels & never encountered one with so many issues. Booked a private double only to be told they overbooked. We were re-accommodated @ a hostel down the street. Was awful. Dark, creepy, smelly. We only stayed one night b/f checking in at a B&B for 1 night before returning to this hostel once the room became available. Standing water in shower, no luggage storage. Nothing as advertised. Other guests overbooked as well and slept on cots in hall. VERY LOUD, slept terribly. Sketchy at best.

I wish the B&B we stayed at for the 1 night of respite was available for our entire stay, it was so comfortable (Riad Agathe).

I don't enjoy leaving negative reviews but the problems we had here definitely affected our experience.

Room Tip: If you book here, contact right away to ensure they're not overbooked. The double room downstai...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Mustapha, Hicham, and the rest of the gang gave my fellow travelers and I a great experience in Marrakech at an amazing price. Although we only stayed on night at the hostel, they were extremely friendly and willing to help us with whatever we needed. When we returned to Marrakech for a few hours before our flight (we had been traveling around the country after our initial stay there) Hicham graciously allowed us to drop off our bags, have a cup of tea, and rest up before taking advantage of our last hours in Morocco. Cannot say enough good things about this place and the guys who run it, highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I am a bit slow in writing this review (I actually visited in January 2012, but it didn't let me pick that option) as I have not been using Trip Advisor for a while, but I have to tell everyone how great this place is..... After being picked up at the airport for a modest fee, I was shown my room which was clean, cute and had a really good bathroom. I'd also like to point out that I am a solo female traveller in my mid-twenties, and never once felt unsafe. The Riad is located a little walk away from the main square, but its not hard to get to, and I loved walking through the streets, dodging little kids playing soccer, and really feeling like you were getting under the skin of Marrakech.
The beds are comfy, the rooms nicely decorated and there is always mint tea on offer.
I stayed in a private room the first couple of nights, and after a side trip to Essaouira I returned to Riad Amlal (which wasnt in my original plans) and stayed in the dorm, which had plenty of space. No lockers, but they will keep valuabes in the safe if you need.
The really wonderful part about Riad Amlal though, is it instantly felt so welcoming and homelike. Mustapha, Farid, Hicham and the rest of the staff are so friendly, knowledgeable about the city and are just all round funny, enjoyable people to meet! Any negative reviews on here are probably more of an indication of the temperment of the writer, rather than the owners and staff at Riad Amlal - you can't imagine how much they want to have happy guests. I also highly recommend the tours offered, I took the 3 day desert tour and it was awesome. In fact, I can't recommend this place enough. I think often and wistfully about it and can't wait to return and visit my friends in Marrakech again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I and two friends booked a night stay here. Initially the owner was welcoming but became dismissive and rude when another guest turned up. He neglected us and would not tend to our needs instead preferring to flirt with two young females. They were offered tea and sat down in the foyer whereas we were left by the door until another worker showed us to our rooms.
The room was clean but there were no towels. We asked for a twin room and were given a single bed. We were told that an extra bed would be put in but we had to ask three times and wait over an hour when we were tired and had arrived after midnight! The owner was busy flirting and making noise in the foyer so we decided to walk out for an hour as we couldn't sleep. On our return a mattress was dumped on the side of the room and a fan that weighed a ton and was three quarters of a metre in diameter was dumped in the middle of the room. We had to ask for him to move this and again ask for towels.
Breakfast was another sore subject we were just given cold chapatti and bread that was rock hard. We were poured cold coffee I asked for fresh coffee and this was simply reheated in a pan and served back. The dining table was outside our room so we weren't afforded a lie in. Old English music was playing loudly followed by loud trance at 8am!!
The owner could not care less even though we complained amongst us loudly instead he say playing candy crush. He turned his nose at my friends as they are a gay couple and i think for this reason he ignored us. The owner even refused to give them the control for the air con and then told them not to leave it on s it costs too much! He barely said goodbye when we left managing to raise his hand and grimace from a distance.
Fifteen minutes from main square and 2 minutes from a coach depo and bus stops so location is good but - stay in the riad jakoura next door service with a smile, hot and cold fresh breakfast served, beautiful polite maid, owner will go the extra mile for you.

• Stayed October 2013
Oviedo, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friend and I are students and only had one weekend in Marrakech. This riad was nicer than most hostels we've stayed in: it was very clean, had 24 hour staff who went above and beyond our expectations, was safe, and was in a good area. It was also cheap! They helped us book a tour for the day, gave us maps and tea when we arrived, and really made our experience better than ever. It also helped that we booked two beds in a 6-person dorm and ended up being the only people in our room both nights! Wanted to stay longer and hang out there :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Riad Amlal? Share your experiences!