“Unsafe. Scam artists.” 1 of 5 stars

Riad Amlal
Save Saved
You added Riad Amlal to your Saves list
Riad Amlal
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Rue El Gza, Derb Ezzamuri Sidi Bouaamar No 128, Medina,, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #739 of 1,066 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Manhattan, NYC
“Unsafe. Scam artists.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Watched me get ROBBED right in front of the door and did NOTHING ABOUT IT. It was obvious he knew the thugs. Unclear directions to hostel on purpose so local touts can extort money out of tourists by "showing them to the hostel" Lied about prices. Booked a private room and was put in a dorm upon arrival. When i paid they inflated the price and said "it's only a few euro just pay it". On a less important note, riad reeked of cigarette smoke and the shower had about 3 inches of standing water.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I am a bit slow in writing this review (I actually visited in January 2012, but it didn't let me pick that option) as I have not been using Trip Advisor for a while, but I have to tell everyone how great this place is..... After being picked up at the airport for a modest fee, I was shown my room which was clean, cute and had a really good bathroom. I'd also like to point out that I am a solo female traveller in my mid-twenties, and never once felt unsafe. The Riad is located a little walk away from the main square, but its not hard to get to, and I loved walking through the streets, dodging little kids playing soccer, and really feeling like you were getting under the skin of Marrakech.
The beds are comfy, the rooms nicely decorated and there is always mint tea on offer.
I stayed in a private room the first couple of nights, and after a side trip to Essaouira I returned to Riad Amlal (which wasnt in my original plans) and stayed in the dorm, which had plenty of space. No lockers, but they will keep valuabes in the safe if you need.
The really wonderful part about Riad Amlal though, is it instantly felt so welcoming and homelike. Mustapha, Farid, Hicham and the rest of the staff are so friendly, knowledgeable about the city and are just all round funny, enjoyable people to meet! Any negative reviews on here are probably more of an indication of the temperment of the writer, rather than the owners and staff at Riad Amlal - you can't imagine how much they want to have happy guests. I also highly recommend the tours offered, I took the 3 day desert tour and it was awesome. In fact, I can't recommend this place enough. I think often and wistfully about it and can't wait to return and visit my friends in Marrakech again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

My sister and I and two friends booked a night stay here. Initially the owner was welcoming but became dismissive and rude when another guest turned up. He neglected us and would not tend to our needs instead preferring to flirt with two young females. They were offered tea and sat down in the foyer whereas we were left by the door until another worker showed us to our rooms.
The room was clean but there were no towels. We asked for a twin room and were given a single bed. We were told that an extra bed would be put in but we had to ask three times and wait over an hour when we were tired and had arrived after midnight! The owner was busy flirting and making noise in the foyer so we decided to walk out for an hour as we couldn't sleep. On our return a mattress was dumped on the side of the room and a fan that weighed a ton and was three quarters of a metre in diameter was dumped in the middle of the room. We had to ask for him to move this and again ask for towels.
Breakfast was another sore subject we were just given cold chapatti and bread that was rock hard. We were poured cold coffee I asked for fresh coffee and this was simply reheated in a pan and served back. The dining table was outside our room so we weren't afforded a lie in. Old English music was playing loudly followed by loud trance at 8am!!
The owner could not care less even though we complained amongst us loudly instead he say playing candy crush. He turned his nose at my friends as they are a gay couple and i think for this reason he ignored us. The owner even refused to give them the control for the air con and then told them not to leave it on s it costs too much! He barely said goodbye when we left managing to raise his hand and grimace from a distance.
Fifteen minutes from main square and 2 minutes from a coach depo and bus stops so location is good but - stay in the riad jakoura next door service with a smile, hot and cold fresh breakfast served, beautiful polite maid, owner will go the extra mile for you.

• Stayed October 2013
Oviedo, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friend and I are students and only had one weekend in Marrakech. This riad was nicer than most hostels we've stayed in: it was very clean, had 24 hour staff who went above and beyond our expectations, was safe, and was in a good area. It was also cheap! They helped us book a tour for the day, gave us maps and tea when we arrived, and really made our experience better than ever. It also helped that we booked two beds in a 6-person dorm and ended up being the only people in our room both nights! Wanted to stay longer and hang out there :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Myself and 2 friends stayed at Riad Amlal during our trip around Morocco in MARCH 2012 (I haven't forgotten one single detail because it was that great). We could not have picked a better Riad. Farid, Mustapha, and Hisham were amazing hosts and went out of their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. They showed us around the Medina and gave us advice on anything we asked. We met other travellers at the hostel that we became great friends with, and all together, we did the trek with Moroccan Nature Trail through the Atlas Mountains and Sahara Desert. This was an absolutely unforgettable experience and one which i HIGHLY recommend all travellers to Marrakech to do. The accommodations in Riad Amlal were great - clean and well-situated close to Place al-Fna.
Thank you so much for this memorable, wonderful stay in Marrakech :)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Staff are brilliant no other word for it. Stayed out of season in high summer and the air conditioning worked which was a godsend in 50 degree heat. Riad was kept exceptionally clean (cleaner was in every morning). Located a short walk from the Place el-Fna it is ideal for anybody. The directions to the Riad can be a little confusing and its easy to get lost, but its easy to get lost anywhere in Marrakesh. Cannot recommend this riad high enough. Thank You for a most enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was greeted and made to feel extremely welcome when I first arrived. Mustapha and his staff really do go the extra mile to make sure that you feel at home. I was personally shown around and given plenty of mint tea! It was great peace of mind that they sorted out my transfers to and from the airport. All the staff were friendly and happily answered any questions I had. I felt very looked after and really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Riad Amlal? Share your experiences!