“Great great great” 5 of 5 stars

Rue Kennaria, Derb Laadam, 13, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #45 of 182 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
“Great great great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

All I can say is good things about this hostel, and as I read some of the awful reviews I start to believe that people have this hostel mixed up with another as I think there may be a few with the same theme or run by the same people. I arrived easily enough as the directions were simple but good, they also have a video on YouTube of how to get there from the main square so I knew exactly where to go from when I stepped foot off the bus from the airport. They welcomed me in and I sat down and they brought me mint tea and some snacks while I chatted to some other people. I showed him my reservation email and it was all sorted. I was in a 4 bed dorm which was right next to the common room but it was very good. I might have got a last minute deal as I only paid about €1.60 each for my first two nights.

They showed me around, there is a middle floor and then a terrace balcony with couch/beds and chairs and tables plus a room and a shower and toilet. They have 4 tortoises that live on the roof and just walk around, cute and friendly little things.

The beds are a little hard at times but mine was springy so it was fine, I would suggest bringing a pillow or rolling up some clothes as a pillow as they are quite big and hard but it's not too much of a issue.

There are women that come in everyday and clean the rooms, make the beds, empty the rubbish and I think they keep up a good standard. They have a bird call doorbell so that you can come back at any time of the night and it won't wake anyone else up and the are all super friendly and will go out of their way to help you.

They also have great Internet, better than my hostel in Madrid. It reaches the whole hostel, even good enough to Skype on the roof. Also the breakfast is very good, a selection of breads, pancakes and pastries and they wil make you mint tea any time of the day if you want.

Would highly recommend, a well rounded quality hostel with Moroccan flair!

Room Tip: Anyone's good or you can ask to sleep on the terrace up top for only 65 dirhams
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

It's no 5* hotel but what it lacks for in facilities it makes up for it atmosphere! Such a social environment and great to get to know other travelers. We spent a lot of time on the roof terrace where the owner kept tortoises! Sat out there in the evenings chatting with other guests has to be one of my best holiday memories.

We had the 6 bed dorm on the roof, and to be honest, it was very very cramped. Trying to get 4 girls ready in a morning in a room that only just has walking space between the bunk beds was a challenge. We were lucky that there was only 4 of us staying in there. The size of the room also meant it got very hot, and with no air con (we were given a fan, but this was very noisy at night). We ended up keeping our room door open, but this meant the call to prayer was even louder and kept us awake between 4 and 5 almost every morning. (We'd often end up with a tortoise or two in our room, but we'd find that funny more than anything else). We quickly realised the shower on the first floor was much better to the one we were using on the roof, and that would be our top tip.

The staff were very hard working - one guy seems to run around all day every day, making breakfasts in the morning and frequently seen scrubbing the patio and doing laundry. The breakfast was included in the price and was plentiful and gave us a good start each morning, although it was a little monotonous after a while (still, at around a fiver a night we couldn't complain).

This riad was in a perfect location to the famous main square of Marrakech, Jemaa El Fna, taking less than a 5 minute walk to get there. We loved every bit of Marrakech and the way this square came alive at night was beautiful to see.

To conclude, with this riad you get what you pay for. It's worth it just for the location and atmosphere. Everything else is a bonus.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Other than the great location of this hostel I don't have much else positive to stay about it. This was probably the worst hostel experience of my travels EVER! Goes by the name of Rainbow Marrakech now I believe. The manager was so rude and unwelcoming. When we arrived I am certain he was drunk and perhaps even high. We felt very uncomfortable. The check in process was shambles and our booking hadn't been processed on their end although I had all the info so we were able to manage it. He did try to charge us for our deposit also which was already charged through the website. Lucky we noticed this. From there our stay was no better. There are not enough bathrooms for the amount of people crammed into this hostel. Toilet paper was constantly empty. Barely any power points. Not very much security for your possessions except for a few lockers in the hallway on the second which there are definitely not enough of for the amount of people staying there. It was raining and the hostel flooded as there is no actual roof above the common room. We also were hanging out on the rooftop common area one night and were kicked off as they rented this area to some other travellers who were sleeping on the couches. With the flooded common room this left no where we could spend time relaxing The breakfast was OK except we were shooed off once we had finished eating in a very rude manor by the manager as there is not enough space there for everyone to eat. I will mention the other guys working at the hostel are lovely and so helpful. Just the main manager who is the problem. Would never recommend staying here. We spoke to many other travellers who had a great experience at equity point hostel

• Stayed September 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is in a good location but unfortunately that is where the positives end. The guy at check-in was rude and unhelpful at every turn during our 3 day stay. I would not recommend this place at all, especially after our friends had such a good experience at Equity Point.

• Stayed September 2013
Oeiras, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

very well situated. price/quality:good. Wi-Fi in the lobby.They give you the pass. very near the mythic Place Jemaa El Fna, Marrakech, with it's never end ind night life and food tends. , Marrakech its the NYC of Western Africa. it really never sleeps. Place Jemaa El Fna it's a must go. and i advise tend number 22. they are abs great people there. its works like this: there's food "all over your eyes", and you chose a bit of this, a bit of that (chose bread), and you will be amazed with the flavors. Price: we where about 20 in a table, drink, eat all we want, a lot i tell you. (don't pay the immediate price they give, bargain) and we pay 150 dinares (15 euros each.)
There's a lot of commerce, the medina of Marrakech it's there. But, i would adise not to buy there. Does not have quality and prices are not cheap compare to other places, like Essouira. but if you must, then bargain hard.

Cheers
A

Room Tip: Choose a hight located room top floors, for example. Marrakech does not sleep, like you do on vacat...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed here with my mate for like four nights. It has such a great communal feel.The location is great, close to the main square but tucked away down a nice side street. There is an unlimited supply of free tea and delicious bread. The staff will bend over backwards to accommodate you here. One night we arrived back at 4am from clubbing and they let us in without the smallest hint of annoyance. They also cleaned up my vom when I was sick and cared for me. Definitely worth a visit and a stay if you want a home away from home in Marrakech, if you want to meet people. Ask for Mohammed he is a mad dog.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This Riad is tucked into a small side street only 1 minute walk from the main plaza Jamaa el Fna. The guys that run the place are fantastic and super helpful. They arranged taxis, showed us where to eat (walking us to the restaurant), and always had tea ready for us whenever we wanted.

Breakfast was included and the price was very reasonable.

Plus the small pet turtles that live on the roof were a huge hit with my kids. We stayed a total of 4 nights spread out on two occasions and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a hostal in the Medina of Marrakech.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Rainbow Marrakech Hostel? Share your experiences!