“Exclusive and relaxing ” 4 of 5 stars

Cesar Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route de l'Ourika, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #181 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Exclusive and relaxing ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great location in Aghdal and very interesting concept with the pool in front of the bedroom. This is a boutique retreat with an outstanding SPA. The restaurant should be reviewed and probably changed to an Asian restaurant or something less standard as currently it is not really working. The upstairs pool, though very cute should be cleaned more thoroughly. Breakfast is very good and complete with great music. Staff are great with Nadia and Mohamed outstandingly helpful. Really different concept and much more to our taste than big hotels. Really worth a try.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed in this hotel for 4 days last month. This is a beautiful hotel, but it is let down by its staff.

For example, the doorman insisted to us that he has negotiated a "good price" of 100dh for our first taxi. A quick google informed us that this was in fact around ten times a standard price, so the hotel staff and the taxi drivers are clearly cooperating to hoodwink hotel guests into paying extortionate rates for taxis. On future days, as we were haggling hard with the drivers to get close to a fair price, the doormen would frequently interject to tell us not not to because what was being offered was a "good price"; we often managed to secure half the original fare after haggling.

Then there was the cockroach which we saw come out of the bathroom and then made its way into our suitcase over night! My girlfriend hates bugs and panicked, the cleaning staff removed it from our things, and then offered to wash our clothes. 'That's a nice gesture to make up for the unsanitary room', I thought. But of course it wasn't, and they then turned up at the door asking for the equivalent of about £75! I had to complain to several people about this to get the clothes laundered on the hotel, but only after being lectured by the management that the bug must have come in our suitcase because they have never had one in the hotel before. This is laughable because they have an exterminator on staff who had previously been in to pour stuff down the drains!

They then shrunk some of our clothes, despite their labels with clear instructions not to use a dryer. And to think they intended to charged us £75…

The final insult came as we tried to check out. A very angry lady came up to us and demanded to know why there were no hand towels in our room. We explained that we had never been given hand towels, but this wasn't good enough and we were not allowed to leave until they had searched our bags! They actually searched our bags! This is supposed to be a four star hotel and here they are searching guests over hand towels because they can't keep track of their inventory properly! When it became clear that the towels weren't in there, we were given the most scowling and tight lipped apology I have ever received, and that was that.

The restaurant staff are great, but the rest are poor. I strongly urge you to avoid this hotel unless you want ripped off by the staff, your clothes contaminated and then shrunk, and then to be accused of stealing and searched!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

Just came back from 3 night stay in Marrakesh. This is booked as a 5 star place but it is not. 4 star at best. The room is a nice size with nice features in it, but the finish of the build is poor in places and the maintenance is poor, lights not working by the bed, above the bed etc.
One English TV channel showing USA movies and CNN, nothing else.
Beds are big and very comfortable and nicely presented on the first day with rose petals but not after. Water by beds free but water in fridge along with rest of minibar very expensive.
Sun Beds by pools look huge and are fabulous. Pool is really a plunge pool nothing more. in the end we did not really use the pool as better things to do in town.
Located 4+ kilometers out of town on main road so taxi for every journey. Cost 50DM each trip £5 approx. some taxi's tried more but 50 DM is the going tourist rate. so we spent in 4 days more than 500DM (£50) in taxi trips to town alone ...something to think about when booking a place here.
Located close to a Carrefour shopping centre which has a food floor along with the usual western shops like Benetton etc. All a bit tired and quite a few closed down shops, but very handy for snacks, food and drink etc. We tended to stop off there on a daily basis, buy our provisions or booze and go back to the hotel. We even had a pizza there...not really authentic I know but I am not that much of a fan of Moroccan food.
The hotel prices are not good value at all. £10.00 for a Gin & Tonic, £100+ for a bottle of bubbly so we saw not one single person eat or drink there all the time we stayed there apart from one poor couple having an evening meal on their own in the breakfast restaurant. talk about no atmosphere! We brought a couple of bottles of Prosecco from the UK which made our evening go with a pop!
The food at breakfast was poor, a very bored chef would make you an omelette of your choosing from a limited 6 ingredients. They had 3-4 other staff stand around doing nothing. The fresh baguette basket was empty so I had to ask for it to be filled, it took 10 minutes and yet they would not have done this without prompting. The posters in the restaurant are of B&W movies stills but are so badly done they look like a kid had done them in his bedroom!
The strangest thing was having birds in the dining room eat the food on the buffet table during breakfast and not have the staff shoo them away. Cute little things like Robins but they lived in the ceiling space and regarded the food as theirs to eat and they loved the Madeira cake, one bird was a right little fat thing that needed a run up to take off! The birds are actually pecking the bread and cake on the chopping boards and the staff stand there like all is normal. The seat backs in the food area had bird muck on them which is not good at all.
One morning we had an early start to go on a quad bike trip and we were first there at 07.30 and they were not ready.... fair enough but what I saw was not good. The previous days sausages and potatoes sitting cold in the trays with clingfilm on them waiting to be warmed up on the oil burners. This is not good at all. To re-heat sausages the next day when they have sat already for 3-4 hours is poor show and dangerous for food poisoning. After that no more sausages for me!
The safe in the room was free to use which was a nice touch.
The hotel feels as though it is struggling financially and needs a refurbishment as it was dated and tired looking. The trouble with polished plastered walls is they cannot just be painted and given a freshen up, so walkways were grubby, bashed plaster in places which for me show a shabby and poorly run place. We had Cockroaches in the room one night after they sprayed another room elsewhere in the courtyard, (I saw the men in white outfits go into a room with spray equipment one evening as I walked to the reception area) I looked again in the morning but had no sign of them again thankfully.
Was it worth it staying here, yes, just about; but we will not be staying there again. Try a hotel closer to town or even a Riad in the Medina or a bigger hotel with more people in it.
The staff were nice and friendly but as mentioned elsewhere somewhat lazy and inefficient. The whole place could have cleaner especially in the food hall but with all the staff standing there no one cleaned the place very well, dust under the tables, bird muck on the seats
November is a great time to visit as the weather was warm and in the evening cool but not cold which meant we lasted longer on our travels in the markets etc.

Room Tip: 6 & 7 are on the car park side so quieter than road facing rooms
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 4 nights in November 2014. Our package was for a Junior Suite, breakfast included, with a welcome drink and a hammam each in the hotel spa.

PROS

First impressions: Amazing. The hotel arranged our pick up from the airport in a lovely 4x4 which was waiting for us at arrivals. On arrival, check in was seamless and our welcome drink was greatly appreciated after the travelling (and delicious). The lady on reception was very friendly and efficient. The lobby, downstairs bar and main pool area are all beautifully designed and feel very luxurious in a modern boutique-y way.

Room: When we were shown to our room, we were blown away. Our suite opened directly to the main pool, it was very spacious, again beautifully designed, and decorated with rose petals which was a lovely touch. Our bags arrived promptly. The bathroom was lovely, with a walk-in shower and a bath, robes and slippers. We received a platter of dried fruit and nuts on arrival, and a new bottle of water and coffee capsule each day.

Staff: Several key members of staff were particularly pleasant and helpful and made our stay really nice. Most spoke good English, otherwise we were able to communicate in French. Restaurant reservations and hailing taxis for us were always done with a smile. We were impressed with how immaculately the room was made up each day.

Facilities: The main pool has plenty of incredibly comfortable bed-like sun loungers. The rooftop bar is nice (though expensive) and there is another (small) pool and more sun loungers there too. The third pool (in the basement spa - which is very clean and again, beautifully designed) is heated, lit very romantically, and has bubbles! This was lovely on the one rainy day we had. Some guests were able to use the shower facilities in the spa as they had a late departure flight, which is useful. Bear in mind none of the pools are actually big or deep enough to properly swim in, and there is no gym - no keeping fit here, just relaxing!

Location: Perfect for us. We preferred to be away from the madness of the Medina, but the 10 minute taxi journey to the Medina costs 50dhm, so you are not far from the sites at all. 50dhm is actually too much (some of our taxis home were cheaper, e.g. 25-30dhm) but most of the taxi drivers fix the price rather than use the meter. For the convenience and the sake of a couple of £s we avoided argument, since the poor guys do wait there all evening by the hotel. There is a huge mall with a Carrefour and a bank 5 minutes walk away, where you can get literally anything you need (but most importantly, bottled water). One of the highest rated restaurants in Marrakech, Al-Fassia, is next door to the hotel. We went twice and it was some of the best food we'd ever had.

Asides from a few Cons (below), staying here felt like a real treat. A brilliant romantic getaway.

CONS

Hammam: If we had paid for this we would have been upset. The experience was nothing like one I've had before in Turkey (which was very pleasant). However, since it was included in our package we found the entire experience hilarious. We were sat down, blasted aggressively in the face (and body) from a distance (!) with warm water, left in a tepid room half-smothered in soap wondering what had just happened. After being left bewildered for about 10 mins, the 2 female staff returned, and parts of our bodies were scrubbed HARD (and other parts left inexplicably untouched), before we were bundled out with our bathrobes put straight on our soaking bodies (no towel!). The actual hammam area is lovely, but not hot enough (you should be pretty toasty I think and we were only just warm). The staff desperately need some training. It could have been the language barrier, but we do speak some French so if they had only taken the time to explain the procedure to us it would have been fine. Instead they preferred to shout instructions (Asseyez! Tournez!). Not a 5 star experience but a memorable and funny one!

Breakfast: This was a real disappointment. Most things about this hotel live up to the 5 star rating (except the hammam as described above!) but the breakfast most definitely does not. I resorted to buying my own granola at Carrefour! The restaurant where the breakfast buffet is served is dark and dingy in the mornings if you sit inside, and if you sit outside you are by the busy road. If only they served breakfast by the pool with the buffet set out in the lobby it would be a million times more pleasant?! The food just looks a little sad, presented in trays with the clingfilm still on in the semi-dark room. The fresh orange juice and flatbreads (made to order on the griddle) saved the day. However, breakfast in a 5 star resort should feel like a treat - not an exercise in picking through what looks edible and/or appetising!

Conclusion: Fantastic - for the price we paid. But not a "true" 5 star resort due to cons above and other minor annoyances (e.g. toiletries not replaced until asked, no towels at downstairs pool). I would definitely recommend the hotel for a romantic break, poolside relaxing, with the perfect location for sightseeing in Marrakech - especially if you get a good deal like we did!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Junior Suite that opened directly to the main pool and it was lovely.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2014 via mobile

my girlfriend and myself stayed here from 11/10/14 to the 16/10/14.
The hotel was what we was hoping for and more!
We've stayed in many hotels throughout North Africa and I must say this is definitely everything it says it is!
A clean friendly atmosphere! All the staff were friendly and helpful.
The spa treatments are very good.
Our room number 1 a junior suit was very good what we expected.
We had one evening meal at the hotel which was very good about on par with most restaurants in ££s.
Trips can be organised from the hotel but are not really promoted! You need to ask!!
The hotel could do with putting more information on all trips, restaurants shops attractions ect in the room as there was no information at all.
Yes we would definitely return and recommend this hotel.
Loved Marrakech.
Jonathan and clare

Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2014

I`v been in Cesar Resort and Spa hotel from 12/10/2014 until 17/10/2014 and they stole my money from my room. 500 Euro and 2000 Dirham (thtat`s mean 700 euro). I let the money in my wallet in my room and I`v been at Spa Massage for 1 hour with my girlfriend, when I come back in my room the housekeeper just finish the job and I look in my wallet and missing 500 Euro and 2000 Dirham. I`v speak at reception about that and they told me why I don`t put my money to the safe. I think I am at the 5 star hotel and I don`t need to hide my money in the socks... I told them to call the Police, they says yes and any Police dosen`t come. Next day I try to call myself at Police from my room and they block my phone, when I told them at reception to call at Police they make me transfer to someone who was not from Police and they told me that will come in 20 minutes. After 2 hours I call the Romanian Embassy and they call the real Police and they come there. I think they don`t trust me about that but I`v told them that I don`t want any money back I want only that the person who stole my money to pay for this. I`v been at Police station I give a declaration and after that all person from hotel dosen`t want to serve me, they was rude and they don`t want to call the manager from the hotel. So if you go at this hotel take care so they can`t stole your money.

Room Tip: They Stole My Money
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
cesarspa, Responsable commercial at Cesar Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 28, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking time to write your review for our hotel.

Thank you very much for the good note for our rooms.

We are really sorry to hear that you lost your money. Our hotel and our team are at the service of the clients and our goal is to keep our clients happy, that’s why we have equipped every room with the safe. It’s for the security of our guests. At the arrival every client is informed how to use the safe and that you should keep all your valuable items in the safe. It seems strange to leave so much money in the wallet in the room without protection. Please keep in mind that in every hotel in the world if there is a safe in the room it has been putted there for a purpose, and you have taken the risk to do not use it.

Best regards,

Cesar Resort & Spa
Batu Gajah, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2014

Located away from the bustling city center of Marrakesh, this resort was a superb resting place, unless you prefer to stay close to the Medina. It's about 10 minutes away by taxi to the Medina - cost around 50 Dirham. A nice thing about this resort is that one can walk to a mall with Carrefour in it in 5 minutes. The room was splendid; we really liked it. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Good breakfast. Free Wi-Fi in the room.

Room Tip: You either stay on the ground floor or first floor.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Cesar Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!