“Great hotel for the long weekend in Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

Cesar Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Route de l'Ourika, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #164 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Great hotel for the long weekend in Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the majority of good reviews about it, and i have to say, I wasn't disappointed. it's a modern, stylish hotel and we stayed in one of the superior rooms which had a balcony overlooking the swimming pool, and it was just such a pleasant experience to sit out there in the morning sun. The room was bigger than I expected, well laid out, and very clean. We had stipulated twin beds in our reservation and when we arrived we had a double bed, but the staff were very quick and helpful to ensure that the beds were rectified. This was actioned almost immediately - no delays whatsoever. The staff were all very attentive and friendly and made us feel very welcome. The very few problems we had (TV didn't work, our bill was incorrect) - were all seen to immediately and dealt with very professionally. I only have very position opinions of the staff - If you have any queries regarding anything from tourist attractions, to resturants to hailing a cab - ask reception and they will help you. The spa staff are all very nice, perhaps not as attentive and helpful as the hotel staff, but we had a number of treatments and enjoyed them. I read a lot of reviews saying the breakfast was adequate - depending on what you're expecting, this may or may not disappoint. I thought it was perfectly suitable for my needs! The hotel is about 15 minutes away from the airport and the same to the Medina. There is a big Carrefour within 5 minutes walk from the hotel. It's all very easy to get around, and if i ever go back to Marakech, I will quite happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Bath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

First impression is wonderful, as the huge doors are opened by a smart doorman. It's lovely inside, with wide, bright bar, restaurant and pool area. We had a twin room which was specious and simply but elegantly decorated. Lovely shower and bathroom, very comfy beds. The roof pool was fab, with space to laze around in the sun sipping cocktails. The ground floor pool was equally lovely, but cold! The heated pool downstairs is shallow but nice to do a few lengths, with a jacuzzi at the end.
Breakfast had a very wide selection with a good time from 8-10.30 so no need for early mornings! A highlight was returning one evening to be serenaded by a pianist in the bar. The staff were all knowledgable, friendly and very readily available. They were happy to book excursions for you which was helpful.
A few points to note:
- The hotel is about 5 mins from the city centre, so a taxi is needed to get in (it's too hot to walk). This ranged from 40-100Dh and needed to be haggled for, so it's an extra cost to consider.
- We went in march when it's not too busy and even then there was sometimes limited space around the pools, esp in the afternoon when the ground floor pool was in shadow.

Room Tip: In the summer, I'd try and choose an upstairs room so you get a private balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Caesar hotel was very clean and we were not disappointed with our room which was a junior suite. the room was very clean with fabulous bath and separate shower. Staff was very attentive and keen to help. Spa staff not so friendly. There was a limited selection of food on offer, breakfast was adequate. Nearby was Al fassia restaurant which we would highly recommend, also handy was the Carre four shopping centre. The downside to this hotel is its location if you wish to explore the Medina. It is a 45 minute walk to the nearest gate (Bab) and you could pay up to 50 to 100 dinars per trip. You must negotiate a price first with the taxi driver otherwise you will be paying too much, probably more than double you should. Also behind the hotel next to the cinema is the tourist open top bus stop, No. 7 on the Blue Route, (two other routes available Red and Green)which offers an informative trip around the medina and surrounding areas of Marrakech. This is a useful form of transport around Marrakech as you can get on and off where you like, but you will need to check start and finish times which are listed on the bus stops themselves. I would recommend this hotel, but would prefer to stay within the Medina in an upmarket Riad.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs room at the back of the hotel, the front was a little noisy!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Newark-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel is brand new, very well appointed and easy to stay in. Not for anyone wanting 'old' Morocco but perfect for a quiet break. Breakfast adequate but not keen on small birds flying round ! We never ate dinner in the hotel restaurant so cannot comment, but had room service which was excellent.The bedroom/suite was roomy, clean, and well appointed. Drinks are very expensive but within 5 mins there is a Carrefour which sells everything one needs. The taxi into town cost 50 dirhams each way, extremely good value.
Like all foreign holidays I believe one should go with the flow and not judge by western values. I would recommend this for someone who wants to visit the busy medina and town but stay a little further out in a quiet area.

Room Tip: Suite was perfect for us on ground floor .
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

It is a bit out of the way and on reflection we would have preferred to stay in the City. However, that said, we do like to walk and we walked a lot! As far as the hotel is concerned, it is new, contemporary, stylish and very clean. The staff are friendly. The rooms are lovely and well thought out apart from lack of storage i.e drawers, for clothing items. I wish someone would come up with a better idea for a hair dryer also as the ones supplied are very awkward to use.

My greatest criticism is that communication from the staff to their guests is very poor. They do nod and smile a lot, but is this enough? They do not seem to be promoting Marrakech as a tourist destination as there is absolutely no literature informing people what there is to do and see except for a very small card on the reception desk which states several excursions,(but is easy to miss), and even then, very little detail is given about these excursions. I would have expected there to be brochures, leaflets and maps to hand so that we knew where we were in relation to the City and where we could go. We had to ask for a map and yes that was provided from the back room but these items should be on display. You have to ask for absolutely everything as no information regarding the hotel or the area is offered.

I appreciate that the majority of guests were French speaking and were able to speak more easily with staff, but if they want to promote this hotel internationally then they are really going to have to up their game when dealing with international tourists. I don’t expect everyone to speak English to me but there are other ways of communicating and promoting both the hotel and Marrakech. Written information needs to be available to cater for people who don't speak French.

Whilst there I experienced for the first time ever a Hammam massage. It was divine! However, again, it is not something I have every day and I really didn't know what to expect. There were some basic details regarding Spa treatments in the rooms but I would have like to have known what it actually entailed! I decided in the end to just "go for it" and I am glad I did.

Why oh why does everyone assume that we want loud music playing whilst relaxing. Or even any music at all. I love music, all kinds of music, and I do like to play it loud at times. Whilst relaxing around the pool during the day, it seemed to start off fairly quiet which was fine, but then the volume usually increased over the course of the day. The sun moves off the pool area at around 3.30pm and it is lovely to be able to go onto the rooftop to the bar and pool area there, but we couldn't stand the noise! Is the music played for the benefit of the guests I wonder or for the staff? Combine the loud music with the constant babble of staff huddled together in the corner of the "downstairs" pool area and it was far from relaxing.

Overall, the Cesar Resort & Spa needs some serious attention in relation to its lack of communication with the guests in promoting both the hotel and Marrakech, better training of staff, and maybe a Manager's presence might be a good idea?

Food was excellent. Bar expensive. Breakfast very good and always served with a smile.
I liked the presence of the two birds. Bird poo never hurt anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is a little out of the way from central Marrakech and the taxi driver are always happy to make money from the tourist. That said the town is easy to walk to and with a little talking the taxi drivers are helpful.

The staff at the hotel are very friendly and extremely happy to engage in conversation. They appreciated the few words of Arabic that I speak and the rest of the time seemed very contented to converse in French; which certainly made life easier.

The bed was massive and very much enjoyed. All the room was clean and to a standard expected. Only downside with the room was the bottle of Cava instead of the promised Champagne.

Outside the room the sun filled the court yard from early morning to about 4pm. Which was lovely for mid-December.

I believe my partner and I worked our way through all the moktails in the room top bar and very much enjoy the one evening meal that we had in the hotel restaurant. The breakfast were much as one receives in France (which is no small surprise considering the nations history). Indeed I was surprised to be able to eat ham in my morning omelet.

The spa was enjoyable if a little slow and confused. The session was booked two days before hand but still the staff seemed unprepared for us. Do not let that discourage you though. It was a wonderful experience.

To sum up I would most certainly advice others to stay at the Cesar Hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Such an amazing hotel in a very nice, quiet and safe location!
Went with a friend and had an amazing stay.
The hotel is fantastic, great architecture and amenities.

Rooms are very nice and spacious.

Great stuff very friendly and welcoming!!!
Highly recommended!!!

Enjoy!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Cesar Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!