“Central but cool and peaceful after the chaos of the souk” 4 of 5 stars

Riad Dar Ten
10 Derb Moulay El Ghali Laksour | Quartier Ksour, Marrakech, Morocco   |
Ranked #707 of 1,057 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Johannesburg
“Central but cool and peaceful after the chaos of the souk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

On a business trip in Casablanca and decided to train (1st class & 4 hours) to Marrakech for the weekend. The riad is very central and less than 5 mins from the souks (be prepared to be hustled and hassled) or the market square (steer clear if you don't want to see snakes, owls, baboons, mongooses, falcons subjected to the handlers control and cruelty). The rooms are lovely, fresh, clean and comfortable. The courtyard is quaint and has a small plunge pool to cool off in after a day touring. On request dinner will be provided - simple but wholesome. Breakfast was included which comprised pastries, cheese and a pancake. I would stay here again if I visited in the future

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the 1st floor away from the central courtyard. It's not noisy, but nice to...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had a beautiful stay at Houda and Sonfianne made us feel so at home. The mint tea and treats on arrival were delicious. The place is very stylish, with tasteful authentic interiors. The plunge pool was also a welcome relief!

They helped us book a restaurant for our Friend's birthday, and helped us find a Hamnan, and arranged for our bags to be transported to our transfer.

Breakfasts were fantastic, and varied. I'm still craving that Orange juice!

We went in the off-peak season, and they very kindly upgraded our room.

Thanks again for an awesome stay!

Room Tip: The vanilla room opens up to the courtyard, other people have complained about it, but I thought it...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

It was our first time in Marrakech and it was our honeymoon. We were met at the airport with a driver who dropped us near the riad. A cart guy took our luggage to the riad for only 30dh (worth every penny for the help finding it!). Sonfianne was amazing! He made us mint tea upon arrival and provided us with a map.
The first night the riad was booked by a large family and we ended up in the smallest room- rather cozy but no problem for one night. They'd put roses on our bed and it was delightful!
After the first night, Sonfianne helped us move our luggage up to a room of our choice (a lovely upgrade) which was the room with the domed ceiling. We greatly enjoyed our stay- the A/C was great! Breakfast was a mix of Moroccan and French including pancakes, fresh OJ, homemade yogurt, melon, and bread. The location was PERFECT! Sooo close to the souks and Fna but very quiet!
I would love to go back. As I've mentioned, the young man who runs the riad was amazing. Helpful in every way and made our stay perfect. Thank you so much!

• Stayed August 2013
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

This was my first trip to Marrakesh, and the concept of Riads was new to me. As this is the only Riad I have stayed in, I can't compare the Dar Ten to the general Riad standards, so my review will be based on how I thought the general experience of staying there was.

Location. No one can disagree that the location is close to perfect. It took me only a couple of minutes to get completely and utterly lost in Marrakesh's narrow streets, and I quickly found out that the main square ( Jaama El Fna ) should be at the start/end-point of all your explorations, since its easy to find from everywhere in the Medina. Dar Ten is located close to the main square making it easy to start exploring every morning, and find your way back there every evening.

Rooms. I stayed in the Paprika suite, which I understand, is the grandest of the rooms. It was very clean, had a beautiful (although simple) interior and was, I thought, quite nice. Granted, the rooms was a little on the small side, and there was not much storage space, but I suspect that's how the Riads in general is, and it really was not a problem. There was no TV. Don't go to Marrakesh to watch TV. The rooms where cool, and I slept quite good there. Air-condition where available, but I didn't need to use it.

Staff. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and cooked up a nice breakfast in the morning, made arrangements for the airport transfer, and helped you with the luggage, and cleaned and tidied your room every day.

Price. I think the price was quite decent, and probably comparable to other riads of the same quality.

All in all a very pleasant experience thanks to the location, the charming rooms and a very friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Odessa, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I am a regular visitor to Marrakech and always try different Riad in every visit. I like the design of Riad Dar Ten. We spent here 2 nights. Located in the medina in Ksour Mouassine, about a minute walk from the famous Jemma el Fna place. Houda was very helpful in recommending restaurants, sights to see and what to do. The breakfast was good and different everyday. In short, if you are planning a trip to Marrakech, stay here! Thank you Houda, for a wonderful stay!

Room Tip: Tha safran suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We were with my girlfriend in december in the suite Paprika. We stayed fro four days. It was very nice. The riad is very well situated, near the famous Jemma el Fna place. Houda was very kind with us and made us a good dinner. We decided to come back in may.

Room Tip: Paprika suite is very romantic...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Munich, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have booked the room "chambre vanille" which was at the first glance nice, but after a couple of minutes we noticed the room was extremly humide and it felt like staying in a cellar. There is no privacy as the windows and doors are leading to the patio and the glass is very thin. Everyone wakes up when the first guests are having breatfast. No windows to get fresh air. Rooms are poorly equipped in that sense that there is no TV, no doors to close the bathroom; besides the bed there is only one super little tiny table (you can fit on it only a couple of glasses) and one chair...
Apparently the price does not include "services" (whatever that meant) and we were asked to pay more.
Resumé: The hotel is absolutely overpriced for the given level of comfort and services.

Room Tip: Do not choose "chambre vanille". Roomes at the first floor are bigger and less humid.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
riad_darten, Propriétaire at Riad Dar Ten, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Mister S..., you came in the riad Dar Ten for two nights in the high season. You stay one night in the room Vanille. This room is the cheaper of the riad and the little one. I'm sorry that you are so disappointed about the riad Dar Ten. But even if you are very disappointed your note of 2/5 is according to me excessive... For example : 2/5 for propreté, it's not possible the riad is very cleaned, we make the housework everyday; 3/5 for the bed, the beds just have one year, it's SIMMONS and I bought the best quality, they are better that at home... 2/5 for the emplacement, I'm sorry but you can see on Google maps that it's one of the riad nearest riad from the Place Jema el Fna. The room Vanille has two windows, a big one in the bedroom and a little one in the bathroom. You can see it in our website. You forgot to say that we were kind with you and you slept for the 2nd night in a big suite for the price of the vanille to try to make your holidays better. You didn't pay one euro more that it was written on your reservation and we didn't ask you to pay more.

Been to Riad Dar Ten? Share your experiences!