“Wow - what a place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad 144 Marrakech

Save Saved
You added Riad 144 Marrakech to your Saves list
Riad 144 Marrakech
Derb Sidi Ahmed el Barj No 93 Kaa Sour | Sidi Ben Slimane, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #15 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Wow - what a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The decoration throughout the Riad is amazing. A few of our personal highlights: the lighting in the dining room, the coloured heads on the stairs (they were so good, we went to the Souks and bought one), the bath in our room (secret suite), and actual turtles on the terrace.

The Secret Suite is great - 2 large rooms, with a huge bath, funky lighting and a number of personal touches.

Furthermore, the terrace is great, we enjoyed a couple of afternoons up there, chilling out in the hammock and on the sun beds whilst listening to the imams in the Mosque's calling people to prayer and looking at the great views of the Atlas mountains.

We also had a cooking lesson with Touria, which I would recommendation. She really knows how to cook - the pastries and the Tajine were delicious.

The Riad is a 10mins walk from the souks and 20mins from Djemma el Fna.

Finally, Vivianne and Didier were great and looked after us very well. The Pain Perdu they recommended was lovely and Didier even ran to the shops to get us a Coke.

I would recommend to anyone -all the rooms are great - I'd stay in any of them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at Riad 144 for a full week and loved Marrakech and this beautiful Riad!! After reading all the reviews on tripadvisor, we were convinced this Riad had to be good but the experience was even better. we got to meet Jean and Vivianne and they maid us feel at home. We stayed in the Beldi suite, which is a beautiful room, styled by Jean, spacious and relaxed. The atmosphere and personal touch are great!! And yes Touria's kitchen is fantastic, the tajines and the famous 'pain perdu'. we will definately come back!! Thanks Jean for everything!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We only stayed two nights but could have stayed for weeks! Viviane gave us a warm welcome to this beautiful place and we instantly felt like home. We got a free upgrade as we were the only guests and chose the Beldi Suite – WOW :-) Here you'll sleep like a true Berber King/Queen. Stop looking and start booking – Jean will answer your request in a sec. You will not regret it.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I chose to stay at Riad 144 in Marrakech after reading so many positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Could it really be that wonderful? And the answer is yes, in fact it exceeded my expectations!
Having never been to Marrakech before (or anywhere in Morocco), I was a bit hesitant about staying in the Medina. Everyone I spoke to regarding Marrakech insisted that i HAD to stay in the Medina, and I'm really glad I decided to take their advice. I'm also very happy that I found Riad 144. The Riad is run by Jean and his mother Viviane.
All correspondence was answered promptly and answered all questions. It was even a relief to know that there was going to be a driver waiting for us at Marrakech airport as well.
The driver drove us to Sidi Ben Slimane and Jean himself was there waiting to meet us.
The Riad is in a quieter area of the Medina.
Once you enter the Riad, it became quite clear that we had made the right choice. The Riad has been renovated to a very high standard and is stunning. Quite a contrast to the outside streets.
We chose to stay in 'The Secret Suite', which was amazing. The room is split into a number of levels with a massive bath overlooking the room. I wouldn't recommend this room to someone who would have trouble with stairs, but this definitely wasn't a problem for us. In fact we loved it. We actually got a chance to look at all the rooms available and they are all distinctly unique. They are all fabulous.
While the Riad itself truly is stunning, the real reason why we loved our stay so much was how welcoming Jean and Viviane are with their guests. Jean offered us some very beneficial tips about Marrakech when we first arrived. He really ensured that we were comfortable and answered all questions over some tea upon our arrival. Jean did leave after our second day and Viviane was our host for the rest of our stay. Viviane was the perfect hostess and was extremely attentive for the rest of our stay. It was great to enjoy a wine (or two) with Viviane at the end of a long day of exploring the souk.
We also had dinner at the Riad and the food was awesome. The breakfast was also very plentiful and satisfying.
Jean and Viviane also arranged for us to travel to the Atlas mountains which I would also recommend. The Hammam and Massage, also available, are highly recommended.
Would I recommend Riad 144 to anyone travelling to Marrakech? Most definitely.
Would I return to Riad 144 next time I visit Marrakech? Most definitely.
Thankyou Jean and Viviane for being the perfect hosts to our holiday. The Riad is beautiful and you both are fabulous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Riad 144 and wished I had landed there following the advise posted on one of the hanging frames "buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love and never come back". There are such places where you just feel rested and content. Places you wish you had someone close with you to share the experience.
My emails were all promptly answered. Indications were clear and quite helpful. I must say the pictures on the website do not do the Riad justice. The place is just so out of nowhere when you step on the patio. My room (carbon room) was decorated with elegance and attention to detail. The amenities are impeccable and the bath tub is made of amazing. I am careful with water but I have to admit I could not resist indulging and soaking in the hot tub.
I was greeted by Jean, sweet Jean, who walked me to the Riad and was introduce to his friend who was spending her last night at the Riad. Jean asked me if I were hungry which I was and I got invited to join them for dinner. We chatted through the food (yummy and plenty) like we've known each other for years.
The next day I had a traditional breakfast on the roof. A must not miss experience. The riad has the highest terrace and in the early morning you feel like the queen of Marrakech standing there with a 360 degree view! Breakfast was generous and really good.
I booked the services of the Hammam and a massage. OMG! You have got to do it!
After hammam and massage Jean made soup and put a movie up for me to watch in the TV room. I told you, its really being home away from home. I am recounting this but I've become a huge fan of Riads and so far this is my best experience in Marrakech.
Lovely fellow guests are of course a bonus and I was happy to meet this Australian couple who had been there for two weeks and had so much to tell: the cooking lessons, going to the market etc...
The staff, Touria and Karin, are really amazing and oh so helpful and cheerful! The cook, Touria, is awesome and next time am taking some cooking lessons as well!
I was too busy enjoying, forgot to take any photo!

Room Tip: My room opened on the patio. Guests were considerate and I was not bothered by any noise. The natura...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Riad 144 is a beautiful paradise amongst the dusty streets mayhem and of Marrakech.
The decor of the Riad is artistic, traditional Moroccan with modern Parisian influences. Our room was amazing, with a hand painted ceiling, king bed and the bath was huuge!
It's location is perfect for walking into the souks and going to The Place. Jean was excellent company, it felt like we were staying with a friend. He went out of his way to make our stay memorable and personalised, recommending great sights, shops and restaurants. The food in the Riad was the best we had on our stay! You dine where you like- on the rooftops overlooking the atlas mountains or next to the beautiful piano in the dining room. I recommend the monkfish tagine! Would definitely visit again- but only if I was staying in Riad 144!

Room Tip: We loved the Beldi suite, but they are all beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a wonderful 5 nights at Riad 144. The service is exceptional and Jean makes you feel very settled with all of his handy tips and advice whilst Touria's meals are fabulous and Karim was great in helping us with our navigation skills or lack of them! The Riad is stunning with a roof terrace overlooking the rooftops in the medina, a lovely dining room and a great courtyard for sharing and swapping everyones stories from the day over an apperitif. It instantly feels like home and it offers a little piece of calm and relaxation just minutes away from the souks. We left having made friends and we will certainly return...

Room Tip: The secret suite is beautiful and worth paying a few more euros for..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad 144 Marrakech? Share your experiences!