“Remarkable and Wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad 144 Marrakech

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Riad 144 Marrakech
Derb Sidi Ahmed el Barj No 93 Kaa Sour | Sidi Ben Slimane, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #10 of 1,031 Marrakech B&B and Inns
perth
“Remarkable and Wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I chose to stay at Riad 144 in Marrakech after reading so many positive reviews on Tripadvisor. Could it really be that wonderful? And the answer is yes, in fact it exceeded my expectations!
Having never been to Marrakech before (or anywhere in Morocco), I was a bit hesitant about staying in the Medina. Everyone I spoke to regarding Marrakech insisted that i HAD to stay in the Medina, and I'm really glad I decided to take their advice. I'm also very happy that I found Riad 144. The Riad is run by Jean and his mother Viviane.
All correspondence was answered promptly and answered all questions. It was even a relief to know that there was going to be a driver waiting for us at Marrakech airport as well.
The driver drove us to Sidi Ben Slimane and Jean himself was there waiting to meet us.
The Riad is in a quieter area of the Medina.
Once you enter the Riad, it became quite clear that we had made the right choice. The Riad has been renovated to a very high standard and is stunning. Quite a contrast to the outside streets.
We chose to stay in 'The Secret Suite', which was amazing. The room is split into a number of levels with a massive bath overlooking the room. I wouldn't recommend this room to someone who would have trouble with stairs, but this definitely wasn't a problem for us. In fact we loved it. We actually got a chance to look at all the rooms available and they are all distinctly unique. They are all fabulous.
While the Riad itself truly is stunning, the real reason why we loved our stay so much was how welcoming Jean and Viviane are with their guests. Jean offered us some very beneficial tips about Marrakech when we first arrived. He really ensured that we were comfortable and answered all questions over some tea upon our arrival. Jean did leave after our second day and Viviane was our host for the rest of our stay. Viviane was the perfect hostess and was extremely attentive for the rest of our stay. It was great to enjoy a wine (or two) with Viviane at the end of a long day of exploring the souk.
We also had dinner at the Riad and the food was awesome. The breakfast was also very plentiful and satisfying.
Jean and Viviane also arranged for us to travel to the Atlas mountains which I would also recommend. The Hammam and Massage, also available, are highly recommended.
Would I recommend Riad 144 to anyone travelling to Marrakech? Most definitely.
Would I return to Riad 144 next time I visit Marrakech? Most definitely.
Thankyou Jean and Viviane for being the perfect hosts to our holiday. The Riad is beautiful and you both are fabulous.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Riad 144 and wished I had landed there following the advise posted on one of the hanging frames "buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love and never come back". There are such places where you just feel rested and content. Places you wish you had someone close with you to share the experience.
My emails were all promptly answered. Indications were clear and quite helpful. I must say the pictures on the website do not do the Riad justice. The place is just so out of nowhere when you step on the patio. My room (carbon room) was decorated with elegance and attention to detail. The amenities are impeccable and the bath tub is made of amazing. I am careful with water but I have to admit I could not resist indulging and soaking in the hot tub.
I was greeted by Jean, sweet Jean, who walked me to the Riad and was introduce to his friend who was spending her last night at the Riad. Jean asked me if I were hungry which I was and I got invited to join them for dinner. We chatted through the food (yummy and plenty) like we've known each other for years.
The next day I had a traditional breakfast on the roof. A must not miss experience. The riad has the highest terrace and in the early morning you feel like the queen of Marrakech standing there with a 360 degree view! Breakfast was generous and really good.
I booked the services of the Hammam and a massage. OMG! You have got to do it!
After hammam and massage Jean made soup and put a movie up for me to watch in the TV room. I told you, its really being home away from home. I am recounting this but I've become a huge fan of Riads and so far this is my best experience in Marrakech.
Lovely fellow guests are of course a bonus and I was happy to meet this Australian couple who had been there for two weeks and had so much to tell: the cooking lessons, going to the market etc...
The staff, Touria and Karin, are really amazing and oh so helpful and cheerful! The cook, Touria, is awesome and next time am taking some cooking lessons as well!
I was too busy enjoying, forgot to take any photo!

Room Tip: My room opened on the patio. Guests were considerate and I was not bothered by any noise. The natura...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Riad 144 is a beautiful paradise amongst the dusty streets mayhem and of Marrakech.
The decor of the Riad is artistic, traditional Moroccan with modern Parisian influences. Our room was amazing, with a hand painted ceiling, king bed and the bath was huuge!
It's location is perfect for walking into the souks and going to The Place. Jean was excellent company, it felt like we were staying with a friend. He went out of his way to make our stay memorable and personalised, recommending great sights, shops and restaurants. The food in the Riad was the best we had on our stay! You dine where you like- on the rooftops overlooking the atlas mountains or next to the beautiful piano in the dining room. I recommend the monkfish tagine! Would definitely visit again- but only if I was staying in Riad 144!

Room Tip: We loved the Beldi suite, but they are all beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a wonderful 5 nights at Riad 144. The service is exceptional and Jean makes you feel very settled with all of his handy tips and advice whilst Touria's meals are fabulous and Karim was great in helping us with our navigation skills or lack of them! The Riad is stunning with a roof terrace overlooking the rooftops in the medina, a lovely dining room and a great courtyard for sharing and swapping everyones stories from the day over an apperitif. It instantly feels like home and it offers a little piece of calm and relaxation just minutes away from the souks. We left having made friends and we will certainly return...

Room Tip: The secret suite is beautiful and worth paying a few more euros for..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Absolutely amazing is Riad 144!! Words cannot describe this place. The service is fantastic, we felt at home the entire time. Jean is so accommodating and offers so much advice on how to handle Marrakech! Definitely can recommend Riad 144 to anyone game for the medina! Get stuck in and experience!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room, even try a different one each night, availability permitting;)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

What a wonderful little place amongst the mayhem of Marrakech.
From the time of booking everything just seemed to easy. Jean was always readily contactible by email with a speedy reply. Emailing a few days before confirming the name of the driver for an airport pick up with his number, and evening dinner arrangements... so organised.
And upon arrival a greeting from Jean's mother who was to host us for our stay - what a delight.

After a tour of the magnificant Riad we saw our room, and we were certainly not disappointed. How stunning it was. The secret suite has everything you could wish for including a beautiful marble bathtub in the room - such luxury.
we had a wonderful few days, taking breakfast on the terrace each morning, and evening apperitif with Vivien before heading out.
Thriughout the stay we were so well looked after by Touria and Karim who always had a smile and nothing was to much trouble.

We will definately return and recommend the Riad to our friends

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Marrakech
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was looking in Marrakech hotels websites... I saw ''Riad 144"... i tried to contact them by curiosity... then they answer me after few minutes - Clear email, clarifying,Location, Services provided...

which made me think seriously about it. i sent another email to check the rooms rates and same as first email i got fast, smooth, clear answer satisfied all my curiousity.

I tired to make reservation on the phone, i was surprised with a very warm voice welcoming us, wich made me dreaming to quit the busy city of Casablanca in the next week end.

arriving to the riad:
we arrived early morning... one of the staff opened the door with a very large smile, greeted us, we have been asked if we want- complimentary- drinks !wet towels !..." it was a Great Moroccan hospitality"

In very professional way one of the staff guide us to our room, with an explication about timing, meals, facilities and even the weather. -we didn't waste any time down for the check-in which is a usual procedure.-

Awesome decoration, very nice colors, high standard beds and bath amenities..."Simply High Attention to details"

In the evening after along day, we Opened the Riad's door as it's like being home...we've been given the keys upon the check in.

we found soft lights... chill out music...friendly faces. we felt very relaxing after our long day in the busy Medina.

Well, all i can say that was a heavenly experience with very Professional staff who are aware about the services they provide and pure Moroccan hospitality.

... I am Willing to visit it again....

with love,

Simply Zouhair,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Riad 144 Marrakech? Share your experiences!