“Gorgeous” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad 144 Marrakech

Save Saved
You added Riad 144 Marrakech to your Saves list
Riad 144 Marrakech
Derb Sidi Ahmed el Barj No 93 Kaa Sour | Sidi Ben Slimane, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #15 of 1,054 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire
“Gorgeous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed two nights at the Riad 144 and wished I had landed there following the advise posted on one of the hanging frames "buy a ticket, get a tan, fall in love and never come back". There are such places where you just feel rested and content. Places you wish you had someone close with you to share the experience.
My emails were all promptly answered. Indications were clear and quite helpful. I must say the pictures on the website do not do the Riad justice. The place is just so out of nowhere when you step on the patio. My room (carbon room) was decorated with elegance and attention to detail. The amenities are impeccable and the bath tub is made of amazing. I am careful with water but I have to admit I could not resist indulging and soaking in the hot tub.
I was greeted by Jean, sweet Jean, who walked me to the Riad and was introduce to his friend who was spending her last night at the Riad. Jean asked me if I were hungry which I was and I got invited to join them for dinner. We chatted through the food (yummy and plenty) like we've known each other for years.
The next day I had a traditional breakfast on the roof. A must not miss experience. The riad has the highest terrace and in the early morning you feel like the queen of Marrakech standing there with a 360 degree view! Breakfast was generous and really good.
I booked the services of the Hammam and a massage. OMG! You have got to do it!
After hammam and massage Jean made soup and put a movie up for me to watch in the TV room. I told you, its really being home away from home. I am recounting this but I've become a huge fan of Riads and so far this is my best experience in Marrakech.
Lovely fellow guests are of course a bonus and I was happy to meet this Australian couple who had been there for two weeks and had so much to tell: the cooking lessons, going to the market etc...
The staff, Touria and Karin, are really amazing and oh so helpful and cheerful! The cook, Touria, is awesome and next time am taking some cooking lessons as well!
I was too busy enjoying, forgot to take any photo!

Room Tip: My room opened on the patio. Guests were considerate and I was not bothered by any noise. The natura...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Riad 144 is a beautiful paradise amongst the dusty streets mayhem and of Marrakech.
The decor of the Riad is artistic, traditional Moroccan with modern Parisian influences. Our room was amazing, with a hand painted ceiling, king bed and the bath was huuge!
It's location is perfect for walking into the souks and going to The Place. Jean was excellent company, it felt like we were staying with a friend. He went out of his way to make our stay memorable and personalised, recommending great sights, shops and restaurants. The food in the Riad was the best we had on our stay! You dine where you like- on the rooftops overlooking the atlas mountains or next to the beautiful piano in the dining room. I recommend the monkfish tagine! Would definitely visit again- but only if I was staying in Riad 144!

Room Tip: We loved the Beldi suite, but they are all beautiful.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We had a wonderful 5 nights at Riad 144. The service is exceptional and Jean makes you feel very settled with all of his handy tips and advice whilst Touria's meals are fabulous and Karim was great in helping us with our navigation skills or lack of them! The Riad is stunning with a roof terrace overlooking the rooftops in the medina, a lovely dining room and a great courtyard for sharing and swapping everyones stories from the day over an apperitif. It instantly feels like home and it offers a little piece of calm and relaxation just minutes away from the souks. We left having made friends and we will certainly return...

Room Tip: The secret suite is beautiful and worth paying a few more euros for..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Absolutely amazing is Riad 144!! Words cannot describe this place. The service is fantastic, we felt at home the entire time. Jean is so accommodating and offers so much advice on how to handle Marrakech! Definitely can recommend Riad 144 to anyone game for the medina! Get stuck in and experience!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room, even try a different one each night, availability permitting;)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

What a wonderful little place amongst the mayhem of Marrakech.
From the time of booking everything just seemed to easy. Jean was always readily contactible by email with a speedy reply. Emailing a few days before confirming the name of the driver for an airport pick up with his number, and evening dinner arrangements... so organised.
And upon arrival a greeting from Jean's mother who was to host us for our stay - what a delight.

After a tour of the magnificant Riad we saw our room, and we were certainly not disappointed. How stunning it was. The secret suite has everything you could wish for including a beautiful marble bathtub in the room - such luxury.
we had a wonderful few days, taking breakfast on the terrace each morning, and evening apperitif with Vivien before heading out.
Thriughout the stay we were so well looked after by Touria and Karim who always had a smile and nothing was to much trouble.

We will definately return and recommend the Riad to our friends

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Marrakech
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I was looking in Marrakech hotels websites... I saw ''Riad 144"... i tried to contact them by curiosity... then they answer me after few minutes - Clear email, clarifying,Location, Services provided...

which made me think seriously about it. i sent another email to check the rooms rates and same as first email i got fast, smooth, clear answer satisfied all my curiousity.

I tired to make reservation on the phone, i was surprised with a very warm voice welcoming us, wich made me dreaming to quit the busy city of Casablanca in the next week end.

arriving to the riad:
we arrived early morning... one of the staff opened the door with a very large smile, greeted us, we have been asked if we want- complimentary- drinks !wet towels !..." it was a Great Moroccan hospitality"

In very professional way one of the staff guide us to our room, with an explication about timing, meals, facilities and even the weather. -we didn't waste any time down for the check-in which is a usual procedure.-

Awesome decoration, very nice colors, high standard beds and bath amenities..."Simply High Attention to details"

In the evening after along day, we Opened the Riad's door as it's like being home...we've been given the keys upon the check in.

we found soft lights... chill out music...friendly faces. we felt very relaxing after our long day in the busy Medina.

Well, all i can say that was a heavenly experience with very Professional staff who are aware about the services they provide and pure Moroccan hospitality.

... I am Willing to visit it again....

with love,

Simply Zouhair,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We have just gotten home after spending 10 days in Marrakech, at the wonderful Riad 144. We had seen pictures on both Tripadvisor and their website, so knew it was beautiful, but were amazed to find that in reality it was even better. We were in awe of the chic design of every room and space, with every attention to detail. Utterly charming, and it was such a pleasure to escape to after a hard days bargaining in the souks.

The owners made the stay for us. It is co-owned by Jean and his mother Vivien, and they take it in turn each month to accommodate guests. We were lucky enough to meet both, as they were swapping over during our stay. Jean welcomed us to the riad, and made every effort to ensure that we were having an enjoyable stay. He is full of helpful tips and advice, and has some great restaurant recommendations. He made us feel incredibly welcome and relaxed. It was like staying with a good friend.

Vivien then arrived to take over. She is marvellous company- full of life and wit, and has a great philosophy. Truly a joy to spend time with. On our last night she pulled out all the stops. Candles on every step, lanterns, aperitifs on the roof terrace, 3 course meal. We felt very special indeed.

Touria the chef is absolutely fabulous. Her tagines were the best we had in Marrakesh. She made pancakes and homemade cake for breakfast. Heaven.

The location of the riad is great, as it is within the Medina, but not next to all the other riads and hotels. It is a very traditional area, where all the locals will say good morning and night- we felt very safe there. It is also a two minute walk to a taxi rank where you can pick up a petit-taxi for around 10-20 dirhams (£1.00-£1.50) to almost anywhere in Marrakech.

If you are considering staying in Marrakech, there can only be one choice of Riad- Riad 144. It is just perfect. Look out for next year too, as Jean and Vivien are extending. We seriously cannot thank them enough. Lovely people.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Riad 144 Marrakech? Share your experiences!