“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 66 Shopping in Marrakech
Type: Specialty Shops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Our Cafe in Marrakech provides: A meeting place Working space for Henna artists An exhibition space A classroom for the young people of Marrakech HennaCafeMarrakech supports projects and charities providing sustainable employment and education in Marrakech and other regions of Morocco
Zurich, Switzerland
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The Henna Café is a great experience... I had delicious typical food, I met local people and had lovely chats about cultur and travelling ideas in Morocco. I did a wonderful traditional Henna - shukran bezaf to Fatima... It's a place where you can feel the real Marrakech :-) I will come back soon... for sure!

Visited March 2013

West Sussex
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Got to Marrakech and had looked up this brilliant cafe that does red henna for charity...so easy and good quality in a relaxed, albeit small, indoor space. I had both palms done, and a small design on the back of my hands, the price was 500 dirhams, a bit pricy, but a small price to pay knowing that the ink was real red henna. A note: the cafe opens at 11am, so don't go in the morning (we went past at 10:30am and it was shut). The lady doing the henna clocks off at about 4-5pm...so time your trip right. It takes about 15-20 min per full hand (palm) to do. They also provide fabric bags to wrap your deign in. You should leave it about 8 hours, so go later in the afternoon to wear overnight, but buy some type of oil ( they recommend olive oil, but I used Argan oil that I bought as a hair oil) to rub the dry henna off in the morning. The places where the design flaked off in the evening were just as dark in the morning...brilliant. Highly recommended!!!!

Visited March 2013
Sydney, Australia
12 attraction reviews
“Great idea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We wandered by the Henna Cafe as we were exploring the area around Bab Doukkala, and stopped off for a cup of mint tea. We didn't want henna, but had heard about the cafe as the place to come if you do - so we had a general sense that the cafe was non-profit, geared for tourists with the aim of giving back to the community. We drank our tea on the lovely roof terrace, and chatted about the cafe's mission with the young English guy who works there with his girlfriend. While we were there, English lessons were going on in part of the cafe - they hold free lessons for locals (particularly women) who need the English proficiency to find work in riads and hotels. The cafe is a little off the beaten track, but we loved walking through the Bab/rue Doukkala area, particularly the food markets between the cafe and the gate, and this would be a nice place to stop (though we can't speak for the food or henna) - it seems really worthy of support.

Visited December 2012
KandyKorn143
8 attraction reviews
“Lack of care, no instruction and a bit dangerous.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

The restaurant itself is great, but this review is for the henna treatment I received.

My husband and I arrived at about 7:30 on Saturday night for dinner. We ate outside on the roof terrace and it was delicious. Afterwards I asked for henna tattoos on both my hands and a lady appeared looking rather put-out and annoyed. I showed her what design I wanted and she plopped the intricate design rather messily on my hands. There were quite a few big blobs and smears. Once she had finished we waited about 10 minutes for the younger man who had served us initially to reappear because we wanted some mint tea as we waited for the henna to dry. There was no explanation about how to care for or treat the henna and as the lady spoke no English we were a bit confused. My husband had to go outside to fetch the man as he was hanging out with his friends in front of the cafe. When the young man came back inside we ordered tea and then he directed me upstairs with the woman and they proceeded to ask me to hold my hands over a naked gas stove flame to dry the henna. It was obviously very hot and quite dangerous but the lady kept putting my hands closer to the stove and I was wearing a giant wool poncho!! Quite unnerving! The man disappeared again and when the woman finished roasting my hands we went back downstairs to drink our tea. I was flapping my hands around to help them dry and the man shouted at me from downstairs and outside to stop. He could see me from the window. The music inside was loud and I was just trying to have a good time with what was a bit of a strange situation. We waited another 30 minutes but the henna wasn't drying as she blobbed it on quite thick and the design was hard to make out. I asked my husband to go outside to get the man so we could pay as I was getting frustrated with the whole situation. When the man arrived upstairs he took the henna book over to the woman and got a bit upset with her due to the book saying that both hands should cost 150dh and he thought it should be 150dh each hand. It was clearly not her who put the prices in the book, so I couldn't understand why he was getting mad at her. He then asked me what henna I had and I told him "the one you were just talking about". I think this confused him as I understand a lot more French than I can speak and he tried to laugh it off.

We paid and set off on our way. The place is a great idea. We liked the concept so much that we returned the next day to buy some of the local art that they sell, but I wasn't happy with my henna. It is sloppy and although it isn't toxic or chemical, I still really didn't like holding my hands over that gas fire or seeing the woman be spoken to disrespectfully. Maybe my experience is a one-off. I hope so as this place has so much potential.

Visited December 2012
vividtrading, Manager at Henna Cafe, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
We at Henna cafe are a small charitable group who are committed to offering opportunities to the Marakshi community local to the Henna cafe.
All of our profits are used directly to offer education, support into sustainable employment, and practical support to those in the Bab Doukalla area of Marrakech.
We offer reliable and sustained employment within the cafe to good hardworking Marrakshi people.
We train and nurture the talent of our henna artists.
Although our training is detailed and extensive, we had not encountered a situation previously where henna was simply not drying due to wet weather. Our Henna artist in this situation reverted to her usual method at home to dry the henna. We apologise unreservedly for the application of a custom, which although used by women in Morocco; is totally inappropriate for use with our very valued guests.
Following this unfortunate incident, we have added a new chapter to our training program, to ensure that this will never happen again.
We would like to thank you for supporting our project, and also for returning to buy artwork at the end of your trip to Marrakech.
Please be assured that your diligence in alerting us to this has allowed us to improve our training program to ensure safe and professional henna service at all times.
warmest wishes
Sarah
sarah@hennacafemarrakech.com
“Basic and tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

A nice quiet and basic restaurant with fresh tasty and cheap food. The lamb in a roll is delicious. The staff speak English and are very friendly. Totally recommended.