“OUTSTANDING !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Melbourne, Australia
“OUTSTANDING !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

WOW, what a place ! Stayed 4 nights in Red Room in this beautiful hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the room was excellent and breakfast great. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to the centre in a very quiet street. Loved it and highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Went for this as it had a five star rating and was not disappointed. Lovely atmosphere, food, plunge pool, roof garden. Mohammed and the staff cannot do enough for you.
Make sure you ask them to pick you up from the airport - It's not expensive and you might find yourself wondering around Marrakech all day otherwise

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bexley, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I'll just say at first that I wanted to give this 4*, but overall, especially the professionalism and kindliness of the staff, i'll give it the 5* and not rock the boat lol

The Review
I used Tripadvisor as usual to search for hotels in ratings order, and came across this one being both a good mix of ratings and price I was prepared to pay. Always good to see a hotel that had no terrible or poor ratings.

We were asked by the hotel if we wanted a taxi arranged to pick us up for €15, which at first I thought "haha no chance, as even though it's been 8 years since my last trip to Marrakesh, I know taxis are much cheaper than that". However, after reading some advice on the Tripadvisor forum regarding "tourists wondering around the streets in tears as they can't find their hotel" I decided for a few extra pounds to arrived unstressed was the way to go. I suggest you do it too. As a result we were met at the airport by a very nice man, and taken to our hotel as you would hope to arrive on your holiday.

We were greeted on arrival in the stunning Riad with tea, cakes, nuts and dates. Great start! Then shown to our room; the only one on the top floor.

Breakfast was a selection of cake, croissant, bread, and other carb based items; Yoghurt, a bowl of fruit. As someone who works out and tries to avoid carbs around breakfast, I was going to have to just give in for my holiday lol. No worries, plenty of walking and you'll soon burn it off.

I was worried that with the Riad being right near the heart of the medina, noise would be an issue. Not even in the slightest. It must just be the design of the the buildings, as the only thing you ever hear is the odd voice from an adjoining property, and that's only if you go to the roof.

On the last day they let us leave our luggage past our checkout time so we could spend the afternoon walking about before our flight.

I will add a couple of little things for anyone who comes expecting absolute perfection, because we all know there's no such thing. On arrival in the room one of the lamp shades had come loose of it's frame - exposing the bulb. A little amateur DIY sorted that. The sink and shower water didn't drain away fast enough, so during a shower you end up a few inches deep of used water. Also water was spraying from the edge of shower head, which, because there is no shower curtain, quickly produces a puddle on the floor. These things were pointed out to the staff, and they acknowledged it with a smile. It's the sort of things that many might not want to make a fuss about, so that then leaves that for the next guest to discover. These are not complaints by any means, more a case of - please let the staff know so it can be dealt with.

The only other gripe was that the person who gave my wife a massage clearly had a bad cold, therefore couldn't put 100% effort in, and risked passing it on. We would have been quite happy if told "our masseur has a bit of a cold, would you still like to go ahead?" So we could decide.

Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We (me, my husband and Dad) stayed at the Riad al Loune from 28th Sept to 2nd Oct and from the moment I booked the Riad I felt it was the right decision. Nothing was too much trouble, they emailed lots of information prior to our arrival and I would say that this was very comforting.
We had never visited Morocco before and as we were travelling with my Dad for my 40th I was eager to make this holiday something that we would all enjoy.
The rooms were lovely ( we were in Brown and Prune) and they were beautifully clean and very comfortable. The tea and pastries upon arrival were a real treat and from then on nothing was too much trouble. It was also a lovely surprise to be given a beautiful bouquet by Mohammed at breakfast the next day - which was a real treat and very kind.

I would recommend a few things which are;

Booking the taxi transfer via the Riad ( you can add it to you bill and it's by far the easiest option given the unfamiliarity of the streets when you arrive)
Eat at the Riad on your 1st night (this and every other meal there was delicious!!)
Ask for a guided tour through the souk (once you get your bearings it's really straightforward and the first time out can be a little daunting)
Change your money at a bureau in the souk not using a cash machine - as they do not always have money in them
Ask to take a photo of someone or of a stall in the souk - understandably they value their privacy
Learn a little Moroccan - please and thank you go a long way
Use the 'Red Bus' to orientate yourself in your 1st couple of days and you will get a good map

Thanks very much to Khadija, Simo, Cecilia and Mohammed - you made our trip to Morocco very special and you treated my family with such kindness and consideration during our stay in your beautiful Riad. It really is a home from home. Go and visit, I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did.

Room Tip: We had a room on a high floor which was very private and had a great outside seating area
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Cologne, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We also chose this location based on other reviews and we were not disappointed. With only seven rooms available to be booked at the Riad Al Loune the attention that each and every guest receives is outstanding. Factor in a great location (5-10 min. stroll to the souks) and very affordable rates, and I would most definitely stay here again or recommend it to any friends travelling to Marrakech.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Such an amazing stay. Once you open the door to the riad you are in an absolute oasis. Great service and atmosphere. The riad only has a few rooms so it's very relaxing and feels like a home. Muhammad was very accommodating and gave us his cell number in case you ever had any issues. It was a bit hard for us to find but I think you can say that about any place in the medina. Follow Muhammad's advice and look for landmarks not street names. Also don't rely on GPS to find your way around :)

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Booked the Riad al Loune based on other great reviews and I can only agree.
Beautiful Riad, lovely staff- thanks to Muhammed who even got out to buy us a bottle of wine after we couldn't find a store selling it.
So calm and inviting and a very good location just close enough to the souks.
Highly recommend!