“Where do I start?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #98 of 182 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“Where do I start?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Finding Mama was just awesome! I needed to take the train to Tangier in less than an hour and just had enough time to get the quick tour through the hostel and leave my backpack there to go to the train station. So I had the chance to enjoy all that is Mama when I came back a couple of days later. Karim is the greatest host ever!

The location of the hostel is also great, you can go to Jamaa El Fna by foot within minutes, and get a taxi to wherever you want to go. There are good places to eat around, and the hostel has a kitchen if you prefer to cook your food. Beds are comfortable and you can have warm/hot showers with abundant water. Moroccan breakfast as soon as you wake up and mint tea all day long!

I enjoyed chatting with other guests from all over the world and the environment of the hostel helps you to do it, starting with the staff which will make sure you feel at home. Im planning on going back to Morocco soon and for sure I will be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I cannot deny that my friend and I were very nice welcomed in the hostel when we arrived. As soon as we arrived, the host brought us a very nice breakfast free of charge, he didn't even know if we were staying there yet! It is a very friendly clean place, home for world travelers, and the showers were awesome. We left our bags there for 3 nights and nobody charged us for it! ON THE OTHER HAND, the only night we slept there, I got terribly bit by bed bugs. You should have seen my back afterwards. So, you can stay here, they are nice and friendly and the place is cozy, great value for budget travelers, but please bring your own sheets or sleep in your sleeping bag!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed for only one night in the 5 bed dorm. The scene was pretty cool when I got there- a bunch of kids playing guitar and smoking hash, telling travel stories. Pure backpacker haven. The riad is set around a central room where everyone hangs out (late into the night...), and all of the bedrooms are off this area. So, it can be really loud- you have to be prepared for that.

I woke up at 4am itching like crazy. My first thought was no no no, bedbugs. I turned on the light and sure enough, two bedbugs running around the bed like crazy. I immediately hopped off the bed and went to talk to the manager to let him know and ask for another bed and he laughed me off. The place is pretty dirty and it was super cheap, so I should have expected that. Also, when I left and got to a new hostel (Waka Waka, which was really nice and had a friendly staff), I reached into my bag and a cockroach was running around. The only place it could have gotten in there was from Mama Marrakech in the locker, so, that's gross. Beware if you stay there. Check your bed and check it again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have been told about this precious place by a close friend of mine just before leaving my country to travel through Marocco. Well, I have been very lucky because Mama Marrakech is definitely a magic place, and as a magic place it's able to attract interesting people. I really enjoyed the time i spent there with Karim, Younes, Abi and Youssef as well as all the travellers i met there in the days.

I hadn't planned my trip so much and i wanted to go to Essaouira but didn't know where, "no problem" they told me about another cool place in Esssaouira where i went for a few days, after that i missed Marrakech and the guys so bad that i didn't hesitate a second before deciding to spent a few more days with Mama. They are very friendly and willing, i found their attitude kind like MI CASA ES TU CASA, "No problem. You're my friend come when you want, leave your stuff here!".

The only negative aspect i have to admit is that in Mama you could spend more days than expected, cause it's such a good time. If you're in Marrakech just try it, chill, have fun, meet new people and you'll probably be like me... planning for a second time. :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Alcazar de San Juan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Easily one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. I've never wanted to spend so much time chilling in one place. The hostel is spacious and comfortable, the staff were helpful and a great laugh and I met some awesome people. Truly a safe haven in the middle of a crazy city. I didn't want to leave and I don't have a bad thing to say. If you're a solo traveler, this is the place to come.

Room Tip: Sleep on the terrace!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, chilled out common area. Visit was great for a large group as part of a tour, however as its a raid and can get hot, can be noisy if you aren't one of the ones socialising in the common room/area. Toilets/showers are good for Morocco budget hotel/hostels.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The dorm room we stayed in was right next to the common room and because of the heat we had to keep the window open, so all the noise from the common room was right under our ears. Some people didn't stop talking (quite loudly) even after we spoke to them and I think the staff should have intervened. We didn't ask them to, true, but still.

Other than that, the breakfast was not that great, with an omelette and some bread split between 2 people. Toilets were also not the cleanest I've seen, but at least there was hot water. The location was really good though, close to the main square.

There's a pretty good choice of riads in Marrakech, I wouldn't stay here again simply because of the noise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech? Share your experiences!