“Great place to chill in Marrakech” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech to your Saves list
Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech
Derb Raouia No. 18, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #99 of 182 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
“Great place to chill in Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, chilled out common area. Visit was great for a large group as part of a tour, however as its a raid and can get hot, can be noisy if you aren't one of the ones socialising in the common room/area. Toilets/showers are good for Morocco budget hotel/hostels.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The dorm room we stayed in was right next to the common room and because of the heat we had to keep the window open, so all the noise from the common room was right under our ears. Some people didn't stop talking (quite loudly) even after we spoke to them and I think the staff should have intervened. We didn't ask them to, true, but still.

Other than that, the breakfast was not that great, with an omelette and some bread split between 2 people. Toilets were also not the cleanest I've seen, but at least there was hot water. The location was really good though, close to the main square.

There's a pretty good choice of riads in Marrakech, I wouldn't stay here again simply because of the noise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I've stayed here twice, and both times it was exceptional - especially for the price. We slept on the roof during one of our visits, which was the most perfect experience, cooler than the main house, and idyllic waking up to the morning light and the birds. Very warm atmosphere, great people. The owner is incredibly friendly and went completely over and above board.

Room Tip: Try the roof, one of the greatest sleeping experiences of my life
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arrived here for my first night in Marrakech. Had booked an airport transfer (150MAD) in advance. There was no-one waiting for me but after calling the owner, an apologetic driver soon turned up and took me to the hostel door. I'd recommend paying the extra few pounds and I don't think I would have found it otherwise (no sign outside). Was met by the lovely Karim who signed me in, showed me a map of the area and took me to my room. I was in a 6-bed dorm which wasn't too cramped. The beds are thick mattresses on the carpeted floor. Can't speak for the sheets as it was so hot I slept on top of everything (no aircon/fan)! The showers were surprisingly warm and powerful even if the shared bathroom was a bit run down. Everyone in the common room was really friendly and was asked out to dinner in the square, which is relatively straightforward to get to. There's shisha and soft drinks available, and bringing in beers was fine. Breakfast (included) was yummy - coffee, pancakes, bread and omelettes. Overall excellent value for the £4-ish I paid. Don't expect luxury but would recommend to anyone unsure about booking a budget hostel.

• Stayed July 2013
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As a group of 5 (3 girls, 2 boys) we stayed in a 5 bed dorm with ensuite on the ground floor. Beds were matresses on the floor and blankets were provided (sounds strange but the traditional Moroccan accommodation was actually quite comfortable!) Towels and lockers were also provided for free. The location was close to the main square/souks etc, but the best thing about this hostel was most definitely the breakfast! Every morning we indulged in pancakes, fruit, mint tea, eggs etc (various Moroccan dishes) all for no extra charge. We booked a trip into the Sahara through the hostel which was also very good and definitely worth doing, and despite having to leave around 6am, breakfast was still provided before our early departure! The hostel itself was a bit tricky to find initially (make sure you email ahead to arrange collection from the airport) as we made the mistake of trying to find it ourselves after being dropped off in the city by a taxi from the airport and were then conned into having a local leading us round the city for 40mins and demanding nearly £20 each from us at the end for his 'help' - we later discovered the hostel was located a meer 2 mins from where our taxi had dropped us off. Despite this, we had a great stay and absolutely loved Morocco!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place was so chill! The main room was really relax and the host was very friendly. The hostel is less than 10 minutes walk to the main square and medina. If you're looking for an amazing dinner or late night snack, walk to the main square where hundreds of restaurants and food carts pitch tents for the night.

The bathroom was extremely clean, except for someone mud butted in the toilet one night (lol).
The shower was hot and clean.

If you're looking for a laid back easy going kind of experience in Marrakech, Mama Marrakech is your answer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy my stay here. There was a cockroach in my room and normally I wouldnt mind but the beds were mattresses on the floor (which I normally wouldn't mind either) so I had visions of cockroaches crawling over my face during the night. Luckily I was able to kill it so I could sleep, but I still felt uneasy incase there were any more. There seemed to be only one shower for the whole hostel, unless some rooms had ensuites. I couldn't find any more, but it didn't seem to be in constant demand so it was ok. There were lockers in the room which was good. I found the staff to be friendly, but I always felt I was interrupting their conversations with their friends whenever I needed to ask a question. As a female travelling alone in Morocco I was planning to make friends at the hostel so I could go out with other people. However, the common room was often filled with smoke and I hated the smell so I had to keep to my room and didnt end up meeting anyone to explore with. I went out by myself a few times but got so sick of the men pestering me that I ended up spending a lot more time in my room than I should have. So it wasn't the nicest stay for me. I know a lot of people enjoyed the place and looked like they were having fun though, so don't be too put off by my review, unless you're a shy female travelling alone and hates cigarette smoke :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech? Share your experiences!