“Good value with a smile” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech to your Saves list
Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech
Derb Raouia No. 18, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #99 of 182 Specialty lodging in Marrakech
“Good value with a smile”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Arrived here for my first night in Marrakech. Had booked an airport transfer (150MAD) in advance. There was no-one waiting for me but after calling the owner, an apologetic driver soon turned up and took me to the hostel door. I'd recommend paying the extra few pounds and I don't think I would have found it otherwise (no sign outside). Was met by the lovely Karim who signed me in, showed me a map of the area and took me to my room. I was in a 6-bed dorm which wasn't too cramped. The beds are thick mattresses on the carpeted floor. Can't speak for the sheets as it was so hot I slept on top of everything (no aircon/fan)! The showers were surprisingly warm and powerful even if the shared bathroom was a bit run down. Everyone in the common room was really friendly and was asked out to dinner in the square, which is relatively straightforward to get to. There's shisha and soft drinks available, and bringing in beers was fine. Breakfast (included) was yummy - coffee, pancakes, bread and omelettes. Overall excellent value for the £4-ish I paid. Don't expect luxury but would recommend to anyone unsure about booking a budget hostel.

• Stayed July 2013

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

As a group of 5 (3 girls, 2 boys) we stayed in a 5 bed dorm with ensuite on the ground floor. Beds were matresses on the floor and blankets were provided (sounds strange but the traditional Moroccan accommodation was actually quite comfortable!) Towels and lockers were also provided for free. The location was close to the main square/souks etc, but the best thing about this hostel was most definitely the breakfast! Every morning we indulged in pancakes, fruit, mint tea, eggs etc (various Moroccan dishes) all for no extra charge. We booked a trip into the Sahara through the hostel which was also very good and definitely worth doing, and despite having to leave around 6am, breakfast was still provided before our early departure! The hostel itself was a bit tricky to find initially (make sure you email ahead to arrange collection from the airport) as we made the mistake of trying to find it ourselves after being dropped off in the city by a taxi from the airport and were then conned into having a local leading us round the city for 40mins and demanding nearly £20 each from us at the end for his 'help' - we later discovered the hostel was located a meer 2 mins from where our taxi had dropped us off. Despite this, we had a great stay and absolutely loved Morocco!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This place was so chill! The main room was really relax and the host was very friendly. The hostel is less than 10 minutes walk to the main square and medina. If you're looking for an amazing dinner or late night snack, walk to the main square where hundreds of restaurants and food carts pitch tents for the night.

The bathroom was extremely clean, except for someone mud butted in the toilet one night (lol).
The shower was hot and clean.

If you're looking for a laid back easy going kind of experience in Marrakech, Mama Marrakech is your answer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy my stay here. There was a cockroach in my room and normally I wouldnt mind but the beds were mattresses on the floor (which I normally wouldn't mind either) so I had visions of cockroaches crawling over my face during the night. Luckily I was able to kill it so I could sleep, but I still felt uneasy incase there were any more. There seemed to be only one shower for the whole hostel, unless some rooms had ensuites. I couldn't find any more, but it didn't seem to be in constant demand so it was ok. There were lockers in the room which was good. I found the staff to be friendly, but I always felt I was interrupting their conversations with their friends whenever I needed to ask a question. As a female travelling alone in Morocco I was planning to make friends at the hostel so I could go out with other people. However, the common room was often filled with smoke and I hated the smell so I had to keep to my room and didnt end up meeting anyone to explore with. I went out by myself a few times but got so sick of the men pestering me that I ended up spending a lot more time in my room than I should have. So it wasn't the nicest stay for me. I know a lot of people enjoyed the place and looked like they were having fun though, so don't be too put off by my review, unless you're a shy female travelling alone and hates cigarette smoke :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We just loved the hostel! The atmosphere is amazing, and the hosts are too! They are very helpfull to plan your trip around marrakech.
Very cozy, the roof terrace is so comfortable and the staff is really nice.
We came back after our trip to the desert and enjoyed every minute of our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Mama Marrakech is a lovely place to stay, really has a homely vibe to it, i stayed there a week and felt like id been there much longer in comfort wise.
They are all fairly scatty but thats morocco for you! Dont go there expecting western organisation and time keeping or you wont have fun. Go with the flow and let what ever time you have there take it where it will and you will have the most amazing week!.
Best part about this hostel is the people you will meet, travellers from all over the world and truly lovely people!.
Smoking is permitted everywhere but again thats morocco, in the restaurants the bars the hostels so bare that in mind if you hate smoking morocco might not be the right place for you!
Sound travelled a lot in this Riad so an early night is wishful thinking but if you get tired there is a really quiet time in the afternoon where people often napped!
I had one of the best weeks of my life but prepare for the unexpected!

Room Tip: You get what you are given. but embrace it!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in a dorm. Compared to other hostels on basic facilities it rates ok- clean bathrooms, good sized rooms, lockers, friendly/helpful staff. I found the beds and pillows comfortable, and having the beds on the ground is actually part of the charm for me. Noise levels were a bit high- bring earplugs. This is unfortunately the case for all riad/dar type hostels in Morocco as it is impossible to keep the noise out with all rooms facing the centre area. Most people were asleep by midnight so wasn't a huge problem for us.
Big positives: 1. The price. By far the cheapest accommodation we had in Morocco, $5usd for a bed. Cannot get better value, especially given free mint tea and good breakfast (eggs, coffee, bread).
2. Excellent and safe location just on the border of the Medina, 10 mins walking to the Djeema square. Personally I wouldn't want to stay in the heart of the Medina as it's too hectic.
3. Great character and atmosphere. Nice place which attracts decent travelers.
Negatives: 1. security is a bit below average.. The luggage room is not locked and guests can come and go as they please. Entrance to the hostel is also lacking in security.
2. It is difficult to find first time (but this is true of most places in Moroccan Medinas), so you should definitely organise a pick up through the hostel; yes it's a bit overpriced (from the bus station it's 70 Dirham versus 40-50 Dirham for a taxi off the street), but at least they know where they're going, and after the first time you will easily remember the way yourself.
3. The dorm we stayed in had no hooks or furniture we could hang towels from. Small detail though!
Overall we would definitely stay here again, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013

Been to Hostel Riad Mama Marrakech? Share your experiences!