“Good stay but not 5 star hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18, Route de l'Ourika, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #278 of 465 Hotels in Marrakech
London
“Good stay but not 5 star hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at the resort for 8 nights in October this was our first visit to Marrakesh. We did have a good experience whilst at the resort but we had few good and bad points.

Bad points – Every day we had problems in our room from toilet not flushing properly I spoke to the reception about this on daily basis, a plumber would sort it out and when we use the toilet same thing would happen again. One of the days we had no cold water we only had really hot water which you had to mix the water even to have a bath. Most annoying thing was our room phone never worked and again I kept on asking the reception to sort the phone out (which never got sorted) Couple of times our bath kept on getting blocked.

Wife, my child and I had one room, we only had to 2 towels every day we spoke to the cleaners requesting the cleaners to put 3 towels daily and the cleaners response was “later, later”
AC never worked in my room again I spoke to the reception someone did come up and he played around with the settings and he said it will work within 5 minutes which never work tbh we wasn’t really bothered about the AC not working.
In terms of restaurants only 2 of the 3 were ever open. The food was repetitive on a daily basis. Though the food was fresh.

And finally kid’s swimming pool had loads of insects floating around every day and the swimming pool was cold so it was hard to go inside the water. My toddler was shivering when going inside the swimming pool. We spoke to the manager he said they would only switch the heated pools in November.

Good points.
All the staff was very welcoming and went the extra mile on helping us, apart from the problems we had with the room, swimming pool and the food being boring I think we had a really good time.

The bus runs twice a day to the city which was really handy otherwise it would cost us around £20 each way. It takes around 30mins to the city so its not that close.

Room Tip: 2205 block B (facing the pool area) nice and quite room. My cousin had 2204 facing the mountain'...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations clients at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear guest ,

First of all we would like to thank you for having time to share your nice experience at the Aqua Fun .
We value your feed back which will help us to better manage our business & improve our quality of service to you dear guest ant all our entire client.
we look forward wining your trust and we look forward welcoming you back in the near future so as to do all our best for your satisfaction .
The General Manager &all the staff & I keep ourselves on your entire disposition to serve you better and to meet all your expectations in the future.
Best Regards and Many Thanks.
Mrs Nora Errahili.
Respondable of Guest Relations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Welwyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

It's very very quiet. Never seen a hotel quiet. But that doesn't spoil it. Infact at great
The restaurants. There are only two open due to low occupancy. Italian and Mediterranean. Food is fine fresh cooked. No one with any tummy troubles
Room nice
We are in block A with pool view. It's lovely. Gets sunrise in morning
All staff very polite
It's about 25 mins into town 150 dm each way. There is a hotel bus that's free morning and afternoon
Weather sunny and about 30
Most people are last min bookers. Lots of Thomas Cook. Paying about £600 for two for the week all in. But even if you pay a grand it well worth it.
It's not 5 star but in morocco eyes it is. I'd give it 4 star
Any questions ?

Stayed October 2013
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations publiques at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest ,

First of all let me thank you for sharing your experience with us at Aqua fun we are very very delighted to know that you have spent and still spending nice stay with us with all the facilities we provide and many thanks for your nice comment on tripadviser. we are very pleased to account you a new guest of our club and we are looking to welcome you again to our beautifu resort in the future and i keep my self and all staff to our own disposition to answer all your needs.
Many thanks & Best Regards
Guest Relation Manager
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Everyone was friendly at this hotel but im going to point out a few people who were really helpful one of them was Hassan the other was Mehdi and the other was Youssef and Mina. It was a nice holiday thanks to these people

• Stayed October 2013
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations clients at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for your nice comment on tripadviser and many thanks for having time to share your nice experience at the aqua fun .It was a real pleasure to read your positive feedback regarding our quality of service as well our team.
We look forward to welcome you back in the near future so as to meet all your expectations.
Warm & Best Regards.
Mrs Nora Errahili.
Responsable Of Guest Relation.
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Reading some of the reviews before we went made us a little worried but I do not know what some people were moaning about as we had a fantastic holiday. The only issue we had was when e arrived at about 11.30am and were told that we could possibly have a room ready for us after we had had lunch so we went off and looked around, had our lunch then returned to reception. They said to come back in an hour, an hour later we had to wait a bit longer and then about 3.30 we were eventually given our room. This wouldn't have been an issue for us as the sign at recpetion says that check in is at 3pm but it was the promise of a room earlier and keep going back and forth that was annoying. From then on everything was brilliant though. Abdul, the low cost holiday rep, was absolutely brilliant. He was so friendly and kept speaking to the reception staff on behalf of us about the room situation when we arrived. We booked 2 trips which were both brilliant.
Our first trip was to Ourika Valley in the Atlas Mountains. It was half a day long and we had our personal driver and our own english speaking guide, both called Mohamed. They were absolutely brilliant, so informative and friendly and very good at keeping us safe when practically climbing a mountain to get to the waterfall! I would recommend sensible shoes for this trip as I only had sandals and it was quite scary! This was the best trip I have ever been on on a holiday, the views were beautiful and going into the berber house and having moroccan tea was a great experience. The second trip we took was the camel ride, this was great, something I've always wanted to do. Once again we stopped off for Moroccan tea, it's nice but very sweet! We also took the shuttle bus into the medina one morning, this was an experience! We weren't hassled as much as I thought we would be, just say no and walk on, although we were bombarded with monkeys and ended up paying a stupid amount to have a photo taken as we didn't manage to agree a price before he chucked the monkey on me!
The best part of the holiday was the Animation team. Absolutely amazing! Ishmal and Simo in particular. Usually I don't like being hassled into taking part in things on holiday but this team were so friendly and funny that they made you feel part of everything and it made you do things you wouldn't usually take part in like aqua dance! So many activities going on throughout the day around the main pool. This is where we liked to stay as we enjoyed the music playing and it had a good atmosphere. On the cloudy days they had alternative activities such as shooting and tennis so always something to do, there was also a mini golf course. Evening entertainment wasn't as good but the piano bar was a nice place to go for drinks and they always had something going on, just maybe not to everyone's taste. The Moroccan show had a snake charmer that thought throwing snakes on the floor and making everyone scream was entertaining!
Food was great, so many options that we ended up going to the Italian restaurant to have pizza and then going over to the other restaurants to have a whole other meal! At breakfast they served these delicious freshly made Moroccan pancakes with honey, they also had freshly made omelettes as well as the usual pastries and also cereals and breads. There was always plenty of food we liked so I don't understand why people have said there wasn't a lot of variety.
The whole hotel was spotless, staff were constantly cleaning and gardening so everything was well kept. I don't understand why people have said it's hard to communicate with some staff, everyone we needed to speak to understood us and were friendly and willing to help. Porters were always there to take luggage for you, restaurant staff very on the ball with taking your plate when you have finished, one particular man in the Italian restaurant was very friendly.
Always sunbeds available, we went in september so it wasn't busy like it would have been in the holidays obviously but there was a really nice relaxed atmosphere and I felt safe leaving my stuff by my sunlounger as I went off to get drinks and stuff (obviously not valuables!) The waterpark had some great slides, not everything was always open at the same time but I guess this is because it was out of season and wasn't as busy but it was still great fun.
This is my first review I have written because I really felt like I needed to write about how great this holiday was and how much effort the staff put in. We would love to go back and think others should give it a go!

Dear guest,
How nice of you to write a kind review about your stay in our hotel .
Thank you for having time to share your good experience at the aqua fun .we are very delighted to know about your satisfactory regarding our quality of service as well our staff.
we are looking forward to welcome you back in the near future so as to meet all your needs a
and anticipate your expectations .

Best & Warm Regards.

Mrs Nora Errahili
Responsable of Guest Relation.
carlisle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Just back from this hotel. Rooms facing the fields at the back of the hotel smell of bad drains but that apart the rest was brilliant. Couldn't fault the staff or the animation team. I've read some of the reviews some of the things ring true but I can honestly I've never had a better holiday. The place was quiet not a lot of guests so no queing in bars or food halls. Weekend a lot of locals arrived sat/ sun and Monday and Thursday the public is allowed in. Food was excellent far better than turkey or Egypt, and cornflakes or rice pudding for breakfast. Rooms were clean and fresh towels daily. Our room was on the ground floor next to the spa and overlooking the pool. Nothing was a problem to the staff, the reception staff were excellent I could single out Imani who sorted out a couple of thing for us. Abdul the low cost bed man sorted out our trip for us. The annimotion team were spot on hard to single out any one of the they were all very good. Well it works for me if any of the staff are reading this I am coming back in the middle of November. cant wait I would recommend this hotel to anyone but the water park is brilliant for kids. This place has 10 pools 8 outdoor and 2 inside. good kids disco as well. Bit too far out of town for me although they run a bus into it 10am to 12.30 or 12oc to 6 pm. But you could get on the 10 am bus and come back at 6pm. having said I could not fault the complex

Room Tip: pick a room facing the pool. garden views face fields not belonging to the hotel.
Dear Guest ,

We really thank you for sharing your nice experience with us at the Aqua Fun & many thanks for your kind comment on tripadvisor ,really how nice of you .
In addition we are very pleased to know about your satisfaction regarding the quality of service as well the staff .we value your feedback which help us to imrove our management .
We are looking forward welcoming you in the near future .
Warm Regards.
Mrs Nora Errahili.
Responsable of Guest Relations.
gloucestershire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Customer services terrible, rude and un helpful when you have a problem, first day here i asked for a drink got a hand in my face and a NO! Food is terrible fish and chicken cold and its all out of a tin, in the broucure it says 3 al- carte resturants not one, cooked and un cooked meats being prepared and cooked with same utensil, we have all been really ill with bad stomachs and vomiting, Apprently its a no mosquito place we have beeen bitten all over and because it said no mosquitos we havent got no repellent.Most of the rides are not open and we have to ask to get them open which they was not happy with. At night we was all in the balcony and at midnight they switched the lights of to get us out.We had things stolen and no attempt to sort this for us. If it wasnt for ismil i think i would be depressed, he should be the manager, staff in italian resturant and animation team great. Entertainment is a joke nothing on at all. Never coming back!!!

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had mixed feelings about this hotel like many other reviewers who had read previous comments.I neednt have worried,The food was good and varied.There was plenty of choice with pasta and pizza freshly made with your own choice of ingredients.Spicy tagines,asian food and a beautiful variety of salads and fresh fruit.(which rep said it was safe to eat along with ice in your drinks as they use filtered water and to brush your teeth with as long as you dont drink it as it has a high chlorine content.My husband and son did have a slight stomach upset but nothing that would spoil our holiday).Some food could have been a bit warmer.We had some wonderful soups and lots of fresh breads,Chefs made fresh omelettes at breakfast,again with your own choice of ingredients and would also fry an egg if you wanted.
I found all staff to be very friendly andf helpful.Always smiling.Some spoke perfect English and others struggled but overall we managed to communicate.we wanted to tip some staff for the great service but found it difficult to single anyone out.We chose 4 that we thought deserved it most.
Hotel is spotlessly clean.I have never seen so many cleaners and gardeners in one hotel before.Thay constantly clean the pools and surrounding areas and the gardens maintained.Maid cleaned room every day and I had read about problems with towels.One day they took towels away at 10am and by 7pm we had to phone reception as they had not replaced them.Within 10 minutes someone brought then to our room.Pool towels were supplied and easy to get too.
Some people mentioned safety issues with broken or loose sockets and we had one in our room as did my son in his.Obviously this is an issue but as we dont have any small children we were not concerned but be wary if you have.
The aqua park was very quiet at this time of year so there was no queueing but only sections were opened at a time but that was fine.
Entertainment was poor but we didnt want any.We had dinner and a few drinks in the evening then bed.
Our flight home was 11.40pm but we were allowed our room until 4pm(as hotel has arrangement with Thomsons) but independent travellers have to be out by 12pm.We were allowed to eat,drink and use faciities until we left at 9pm and could use spa to shower.
We used hotel courtesy bus into city which was great.The only trip we took was to the Atlas mountains which was great apart from locals trying to get you to buy goods and being taken to pottery shops etc by the guide.Overall though it was well worth doing.
We had a great relaxing holiday but I think going in high season would be very different.I dont know if hotel copes well at full capacity and I think the poor reviews have come from people travelling then.
It was great value for money and you get what you pay for.It is not 5 star but neither was the price.People who are complaining should remember that.
Try this hotel out of season and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Dear Guest ,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your good experience with us at the Aqua Fun ,
we really owe you over lasting gratitude.we are very pleased to know about your satisfactory
regarding the quality of service as well as the staff.
All your feed back will be taken into serious consideration so as to improve our quality and meet all our guest's expectations.

Best Regards.

Mrs Nora Errahili
Responable guest relations

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!