“Great,relaxing holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #263 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
scotland
“Great,relaxing holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I had mixed feelings about this hotel like many other reviewers who had read previous comments.I neednt have worried,The food was good and varied.There was plenty of choice with pasta and pizza freshly made with your own choice of ingredients.Spicy tagines,asian food and a beautiful variety of salads and fresh fruit.(which rep said it was safe to eat along with ice in your drinks as they use filtered water and to brush your teeth with as long as you dont drink it as it has a high chlorine content.My husband and son did have a slight stomach upset but nothing that would spoil our holiday).Some food could have been a bit warmer.We had some wonderful soups and lots of fresh breads,Chefs made fresh omelettes at breakfast,again with your own choice of ingredients and would also fry an egg if you wanted.
I found all staff to be very friendly andf helpful.Always smiling.Some spoke perfect English and others struggled but overall we managed to communicate.we wanted to tip some staff for the great service but found it difficult to single anyone out.We chose 4 that we thought deserved it most.
Hotel is spotlessly clean.I have never seen so many cleaners and gardeners in one hotel before.Thay constantly clean the pools and surrounding areas and the gardens maintained.Maid cleaned room every day and I had read about problems with towels.One day they took towels away at 10am and by 7pm we had to phone reception as they had not replaced them.Within 10 minutes someone brought then to our room.Pool towels were supplied and easy to get too.
Some people mentioned safety issues with broken or loose sockets and we had one in our room as did my son in his.Obviously this is an issue but as we dont have any small children we were not concerned but be wary if you have.
The aqua park was very quiet at this time of year so there was no queueing but only sections were opened at a time but that was fine.
Entertainment was poor but we didnt want any.We had dinner and a few drinks in the evening then bed.
Our flight home was 11.40pm but we were allowed our room until 4pm(as hotel has arrangement with Thomsons) but independent travellers have to be out by 12pm.We were allowed to eat,drink and use faciities until we left at 9pm and could use spa to shower.
We used hotel courtesy bus into city which was great.The only trip we took was to the Atlas mountains which was great apart from locals trying to get you to buy goods and being taken to pottery shops etc by the guide.Overall though it was well worth doing.
We had a great relaxing holiday but I think going in high season would be very different.I dont know if hotel copes well at full capacity and I think the poor reviews have come from people travelling then.
It was great value for money and you get what you pay for.It is not 5 star but neither was the price.People who are complaining should remember that.
Try this hotel out of season and I am sure you will enjoy it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
NORA-Guest-Relation, Responsable relations clients at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Dear Guest ,

First of all we would like to thank you for sharing your good experience with us at the Aqua Fun ,
we really owe you over lasting gratitude.we are very pleased to know about your satisfactory
regarding the quality of service as well as the staff.
All your feed back will be taken into serious consideration so as to improve our quality and meet all our guest's expectations.

Best Regards.

Mrs Nora Errahili
Responable guest relations

1,196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked this hotel despite reading mixed reviews about it. We arrived there on 09/09 for one week. We found it on Thomson holidays but booked it cheaper on Last minute as we booked 2 weeks before. We arrived around 11pm and the reception people were really nice and was given a welcome drink which was a really nice touch. And as we were starving hungry (as Thomson airways do not give meals, you have to purchase it) we were pleased to find out that the Italian restaurant opened until 11:30 pm. We didn't like the food but we said maybe it was late and the food will be better tomorrow.
We were given our all inclusive band but they didn't give a band to my 10 year old son and the next day he was stopped by security while wondering in the hotel and taken to reception where he told them which room he was in and confirmed our names. We didn't take much notice and we laughed about it. But the reception should have given our kids there bands once we arrived. As they have lots of day visitors that use the water park.
Breakfast was not as we expected. It had some weird looking food and lots of it didn't look appealing at all. And some was a bit dodgy. But there was a lady preparing a local kind of bread called 'mosamin' which was delicious and freshly made. It was worth queuing every morning for 15 minutes to have It hot with honey. Also they had omelette that the chef made to order. But other wise we stuck to bread and butter. And they also had one kind of cheese slices and one type of cooked meat slices. It was disappointing with other meals as well. The worse restaurant was the Italian as the chefs there were so unfriendly and had no idea about how to make a simple pizza sauce or proper spaghetti. It was so bland. No herbs no spices in any of the food which was surprising being in Morocco. They had crêpes served daily which was nice as a snack between meals. My kids really enjoyed it. It didn't get any better during the evening meal as we expected to have Moroccan Tagines but as I said before it was a variety of bland food with no real taste to it. One night they barbequed kofta and as there was a big que our kofta was raw in the middle. I felt sorry for the chef as he was outside with nearly no light to see if the meat was probably cooked or not and it was lightly raining. Most of the week they had a fish dish but the best was fried fish and others had no taste. Desserts were horrible and if the chef brought out any good tasting cake or cookies they would go as soon as the plate was put down as it wasn't enough for everybody. We might sound fussy but we usual go to a different country every year and the food we had in Cyprus and Turkey was much much better. The head chef has to be changed. The food really let's the hotel down. And we took a decision never to go to morocco again after this.
When we arrived the hotel was quieter than expected. But we were there after the summer season finished. so most of the hotel was occupied by Moroccan families. So few of the slides were not open and the pools were not that busy. Which was a good thing. But a few days in our stay other British tourist started to arrive. And the hotel got busier.
The pools were amazing. The best. Clean and Fully supervised from 10am till 6pm and the lifeguards were very good. They rescued 2 children during our one week stay( parents fault as they left young children unsupervised nothing to do with the hotel) which made me feel at ease knowing that my 3 year old is safe having him in the kids pool and my 10 year old in another pool. The slides were amazing (some scary). I have to say the water was freezing. And the weather didn't help as it was cloudy most of the time. But we chose to go September and people working at the hotel said it was really hot July and August. So maybe September wasn't the best time but it was hot enough for us and good weather to visit the market( it's very hot with all the people inside the covered area).
The hotel had a free bus service twice a day, morning and afternoon, to the market but it's best to visit in the evening but the hotel will charge around 400 Derhams to take the bus and taxis outside will charge the same. There was a shopping centre on the way to the market and the driver of the bus will happily drop you off there on the way to the market. Which we visited for shopping and bowling when the weather wasn't so good to swim.
Most of the hotel employees spoke Arabic and French which was a bit tricky for English people and when British tourists came to stay a few days into our holiday. The animation team done there best to speak English as well. It wasn't that hard for us to communicate as we are fluent in Arabic but I felt sorry for people who knew no French or Arabic as it was a bit harder to communicate.
Another positive thing about this hotel was the animation team. Really nice and most spoke English. They were really friendly and worked so hard. There was a really lovely lady called Souad she run the children club and kept the kids entertained in the evenings. She was very friendly and sweet my son loved her. He still talks about her now. The children club was nice. They had some games and cartoons (in French) and took the kids to the restaurant for tea as well which was a great break and it gave us grown ups time to visit the water park and sunbathe.
The hotel rooms were clean and spacious enough. I read some reviews about not enough towels or toilet rolls. But we couldn't complain about that. they cleaned our room daily and we had fresh towels and enough toilet rolls. But when the hotel had more people staying a few days after we arrived we noticed that the hand towels were taken to be washed in the morning and brought back early evening just out of the dryer as they were still warm which indicated they didn't have enough.
Check out time was at 12. And as our Thomson flight was at 11pm. We spoke to the reception to ask if we could stay for an extra few hours so the kids can get washed and dressed after swimming. But they said we have to pay extra to stay in the room and have meals all day. We explained that we arrived at 11pm and were charged for a full day but they insisted that we pay an extra 500 derhams. Feeling we had no choice we paid. But the next day the weather was too cold to swim and we ended up hanging around the pool until we went to the airport.
Another negative thing was the WiFi. So so weak. You can get connection in the lobby and some very little places around the pool. But none in the rooms. And we went in a less busy time I really feel for people who went in peak season they probably had no internet at all.
To sum it up the hotel is very nice but needs some improvements and it's great if your planning to stay in the hotel most of the time as it's location makes it hard to visit Marrakech town as often as you want to as your left in the mercy of taxi drivers which could be expensive. We had a great time. So relaxing and peaceful. Having better food would have been great as we all suffered holiday tummy for the last 3 days and 3 days after we were back! It must be the raw meat.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a week, after reading some negative reviews we were a little sceptical about going. However on arrival we were pleasantly surprised. Greeted with a cocktail, our room was ready, our luggage was taken straight away. The room was spacious, clean and had a fab view overlooking the pool. The food overall was good, breakfast was the same everyday but with freshly made Pancackes and omlet what more could you want. Dinner and supper were lovely, I'm a fussy eater and managed to pile my plate full every day, there was plenty of choice the food was hot and plenty of it. The pool area was spotless they were constantly cleaning. There were plenty of sun beds, and with all the pools to choose from you could be in the middle of the entertainment or at a quieter pool. The water park was amazing, we had Soo much fun, the slides were safe and lifeguarded at all times. The park was quiet which made it even better. Drinks were great you could have anything, and more than one at a time. The only bad point about this hotel is that entertainment in the evening is poor but we made our own fun which was fine. The free shuttle bus was great to get in and out of marrakesh city. The towels are old but good enough to use by the pool, we wernt given out towel card when we checked in, I went back to reception and didn't have any problems at all. Over all I would say this was a fab holiday, I would certainly go back and have recommended the hotel to friends already.

• Stayed September 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

It was the brilliant hollidays. Animation team make my hollidays best i ever have, especialy Ismail and Fikri. You can ask them whatever u need, they will 100% improuve all wisher beter than annyone in that hotel could. Food was brilliant, slide was stunning, barmans are friendly and kindly. You can always find how to spend your time to remember each moment there.Wish u all some day to visit this city and this hottel!

• Stayed September 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in all types of hotels worldwide but for this hovel to state its 5* is an insult. 2* at best. We arrived to our room to discover electric sockets hanging from the wall , with a 3 year old child I found this awful. The bathroom was half finished. .hot and cold water issues. Broken toilet seat and rust every where. We complained ( to the terrible mannered staff) but were told the hotel was full so where given an option to move to the opposite end outside of the hotel to a smaller room overlooking a minefield of dog mess, barking alsation dogs chained up and waste ground. Noo thankyou. I rushed back to our old room and asked that all faults be fixed that day (they were). My husband got food poisoning 3rd day in and was confined to the room and then our son got very ill with sickness. Seems lots of people were sick during our stay . Came out the lift one night to a pool of sick all the way up the corridor. Was still there at 8am next day. Couldnt even call reception to notify them as our phone didnt work. Disgusting dirty place. The paths by pools outside are lethal when wet , we witnessed a young boy fall and hit his head so badly he had a seizure and was rushed to hospital. Reception staff refused to let me see the manager until our last day who apologised in broken english but explained he was new to the hotel and he had his work cut out .. never felt so ripped off or violated in all my life!!! Wrote a letter to the booking agent Bluesea holidays (who got a nice 3.5k off us for a 7 day stay) but again this has been fobbed off and I dont have the fight to push it further. Rather just forget this hell hole...please take advise and dont risk it. I looked on here first and saw good and bad but took the risk...big fail :(

• Stayed August 2013
Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

Visited June '13 and had a great welcome. Room rly nice with lots of space and good view across the pool and part of the water park. Food was rly good and plentiful with a few dodgy dishes here and there but absolutely nothing to complain or worry about due to the amount of other dishes available throughout the 3 restaurants. AI drinks selection brilliant with loads to choose from, from the many bars. Serving staff rly nice and will concoct anything for you. Hotel and surroundings kept clean 24 / 7 I actually felt for the staff as they clearly do many hours and absolutely graft their butts off. This rly is a great hotel only downside is the location as it's around a 25 min drive to the town and nothing whatsoever near the hotel although if it was in the thick of it within the town area it most prob wouldn't be as good as it is. Would go back but only for a total relaxation holiday as nothing to do and can get boring.

• Stayed June 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Stayed here mid September for a week. We had a problem with hot water in our room initially. Guest Services managed to sort this out for us and from there, they constantly ensured that we were looked after very well. Souad from the animation team ensured that we always had what we needed and made sure we were ok.

The only downside of this hotel is the distance from town. However the hotel overcomes this by running two shuttle buses from the hotel to the Medina daily. This does fill up so make sure you book it a day or two before. Taxi's start at about 200 DHMs (£20) each way, which is ridiculously expensive. You can haggle though... we used to pay about 250-300 DHMS return during the day and 400 return in the evening.

The waterslides are a lot of fun and give the hotel a nice touch.
The food is excellent for all inclusive, my favourite was breakfast with fresh pancakes and syrups, in addition to freshly made omelettes.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!