“nice hotel but would be better if closer to the town... 3.5/5” 3 of 5 stars

Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18, Route de l'Ourika, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #275 of 464 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“nice hotel but would be better if closer to the town... 3.5/5”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

There were 3 of us - 2 adults and a teenager.

The hotel: The hotel is a fairly decent size and rooms are nice. The shower is nice but the drain kept getting blocked.
The hotel and grounds are clean and there are always cleaners about, HOWEVER they do not always put up wet floor signs so you have to be careful.
There are a number of pools and some with cabanas which is lovely, but you have to grab a cabana early as people take them. Some people just put there stuff on them and don't even use the cabana which is really selfish.
Oh and the hotel must be located near a sewer or cess -pit as there is a really bad smell in certain parts of the hotel.

The staff: The staff are really friendly, helpful and accommodating

The waterpark: Quite a few slides which was good, but they could have been bigger. Having been to other water parks maybe my expectations are a bit too high. But having said that this is an actual waterpark that is also open to the public. The park is supposed to be open an hour earlier for the guests but on the day we went there early, it opened the same time as it did to the public.

The food: There was always a fair variety of food which was good. The food was better than other all-inclusive hotels I've been to. Deserts were not so nice in my opinion.

The spa: I was really looking forward to getting the hamamam treatment. I had a look around the spa before booking and it looked really nice. HOWEVER, once you use it you will realise it's not very clean at all. The jacuzzi needs a clean as does the room where they do the hamammam treatment. As for the hammamam treatment - it was a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT, the lady i had just slapped a bit of soap and some mud on me (very sparingly) and then left came back to rinse then put the next bit on and the left again. I was expecting a proper body scrub. I also had a massage, which was also DISAPPOINTING, firslt the lady had very rough hands (bless her it's not her fault) but then her technique was poor and because she didn't understand English I couldn't get my point across to her that I wanted her to get the knots out of my shoulders. But she did have a cheek (as did the lady who gave me the hammamam) in that she kept on leaving the room - errrm wait a minute I paid for an hours massage and you are going in and out of the room!!! I then went out to look for her and she was on a sofa the the reception. Maybe I had two not so good members of staff and went to the spa before cleaning day - but I would NOT go there again!!

location: The hotel is basically in the middle of nowhere apart from a few shops across the road and is about a 25 minute drive from the town, which in my opinion is too far. Whilst there is a free shuttle bus to the town which runs twice a day (morning trip and afternoon trip) you have to book in advance and it gets booked up pretty quickly. But having said that, people often book and don't turn up so there is a good chance you can get on the bus if you go and ask.
There are a few shops right across the road that sell pottery. They are both REALLY GOOD and very cheap. I made the mistake of not going there until the last day. Had i gone there before I would have bought all of the souvenirs from there.

Entertainment: I did't participate in any of the entertainment but there was always something on for both adults and children. The entertainers made an effort to get people involved (but not to the point that they harassed you which is good).

Would I return: YES, if it was for a maximum of 3 nights. Had the location been closer to the town I would return again for longer. I would recommend this hotel for people of all ages, couples, families, friends who are happy to stay in the hotel most of the time. Or pay about £20-30 return to go to the town and back.

I'd also like to thank the staff in the event that they read this.

Room Tip: we had a pool view which was really nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

The hotel is Ok for the price paid. I loved the food and the staff, most of them were very polite and friendly , but they was a guy on the animation who seemed quite rude sometimes, but the longer we got to know him we just realized that , that was his personality.

The biggest issue in this hotel is the cleaningsystem, they forget towels almost on a daily basis. And none of them spoke english or understandable french. My husband is Spanish and I'm english... so when it was him asking for towels they didn't understand his french. But that's not a big deal. I was very pleased to meet a young lady who works in the kids club, i only saw her for 3days i think, she spoke very well english and she even spoke to my husband in spanish which made him happy, and my kids liked her very much. She was from Holland or belgium.

The entertainement was good, great motivation during sport activities and evening activities too. Although the team barely spoke english, they did their best, ismael was a very helpfull and friendly guy on the team.

The Aqua Park is excellent, enough slides to go into. very amusing, and nice music too. The only problem is that sometimes our towels would be taken from our sunbeds by the local poeple. Other than it was fun.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Aquapark for a week at the end of August.
The hotel is clean and has a number of swimming pools ranging from baby to Adults. Numerous fun slides for all ages.
Distance from the hotel to the centre of Marrakech is 30 mins but the hotel offer a shuttle service twice a day. One at 10am returning at 12.30 and the other at 2.30 returning at 6. Make sure you book a seat in advance with the guest adviser to secure your place.
The food was good however towards the end became repetitive. I would have liked more traditional dishes however the mint tea was fantastic.
The hotel could do more evening entertainment as it can get boring unless you go into Marrakech where it is buzzing at night.

• Stayed August 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I could say so much but most of it has already been said. Any negative reviews, just ignore them it's a great place. A couple of things I will say are are take earphones / headphones if you don't like loud music, as they tend to play music from 10am to late. Rooms were great and we are used to 5* hotels so ignore the nonsense on here. We had 5 towels every single day and didn't have any problem with pool towels. About 9 pools I think we used 6 different ones. Fab breeze from the Atlas mountains, which is quite refreshing. We hardly used our air conditioning as the sun wasn't on our rooms during the day or afternoon so kept lovely and cool.

Look out for Ismail, he is excellent, fun and really helpful!! All staff were great and understand English just fine :) Everyone speaks French and just learn the basic words as in yes - Qui and thank you - Merci, it's not hard and helps!! My 2 boys spoke a little Arabic to people, which they learnt whilst at the hotel, they are well chuffed.

Aqua park is great and even better there are lifeguards stationed just about everywhere, no nonsense goes on as people will be thrown out. Security is very good in the hotel so you feel safer than you would in a hotel in The UK. The lifeguards are also around every single pool and they are sporty young lads, who watch what the mischief makers are up to so that you and your children are kept safe.

Animation team are excellent and look after the kids from 10am up until late 10/11pm ish. I tried one cocktail, which was called Midnight sun - it was not bad. I do drink rum and coke and the guy did keep making it a bit strong for me, although I asked for a weak one. (so be careful you don't drink too much) My hubby was pleased that they serve Beer by the can, both Heineken and another make.

Worth going on the trip to Ourika Valley and seeing the Waterfalls plus the Atlas Mountains and also visiting the Berber house and where they make the Argan oils. Really good trip and the boys went on the camels for 20 minutes, which they enjoyed. Marrkech market is a bit crazy but you have to do it if you go to Morocco, my advice would be to get the early one 10am from the hotel, which picks you up at 12.30 to get back in time for lunch. Football kits for kids are sold, which are dirt cheap and wash very well!! It gets very hotel by 2 - 3pm so wear beach shoes if you go to the Aqua park or you'll burn your feet.

Will definitely return but for 5 to 7 days next time :)

Room Tip: Rooms 2117 and 2119, were great rooms right opposite the quiet pool and cabana beds.
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed here with my 3 children (22, 12 and 11 years). On arrival there was some confusing over the size of room allocated to us but it was soon rectified. Having being told we were being upgraded to a family room we still had a small problem with bed space but again they were soon to have a single bed bought in at no extra cost. The building we stayed in on this complex did look like it had been put together in a hurry as we found the finishing touches were shabby to say the least. Saying this it didn't spoil our holiday. The potential for the place is definitely the 5 stars it is supposed to be. Food was great, entertainment during the day fabulous (mediocre at night) and the staff were all very helpful especially the group of so-called 'animators' who were all brilliant. The children had a blast and sad to leave. Would definitely recommend it and would also go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
South East, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My family and I stayed here for a week at the end of August.
We had to wait a couple of hours for our room as got there around 11.30am.
We were upgraded to a family room and thought the room was great although had no view...
Then that night the ceiling in our bathroom was leaking very badly - we told them at Reception and were going out - on our return, they had fixed it...however the following evening, it happened again - we were then moved to a different room with a pool view which was much nicer.
The slides etc are great fun and there are loads of pools and easy to find sun loungers.
Took us 2 days to get any towels mind you - so I would bring your own - I read someone's comment on here that they have towels so not to bring any - they do - but sometimes run out!!! I always take our own but to save on luggage weight, thought I wouldnt and regretted it!!
All in all though was an excellent trip...

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Its was so friendly staff a special Mustapah Ouzzat was so helfull so politet ,, we was enjoy room's was nice and clean and also a food was soo good .. Animation staff was so friendly ,, Abizz ,, Simo ,, Ismail etc we was enjoy thinking to go again ,( special Mustapah Ouzzat recepcion man was soooo politet so nice :) regant from Afra :)

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!