“My little piece of paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Route de l'Ourika, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #268 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
London, England, United Kingdom
“My little piece of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My friend and I have just returned from spending the last twelve days in paradise, we were supposed to stay for one week but the French air strike stopped us returning ,so we grabbed a taxi right back to the same room we had just left , they were amazingly accommodating and had us all booked in again within 40 min . I know people have commented that the hotel is undergoing some renovations but they never disturbed us in anyway and I think they will be finished shortly anyways. I also think its fabulous that they are updating the slightly dated areas , I cannot fault the guys cleaning the pools at night or the pool surrounds during the day , the waiting staff in any of the restaurants or bars , or the members of the animation team , in fact I cant really fault anything everyone was mega friendly even when our two toddlers wreaked havoc at dinner time , they just smiled ,kissed , tickled and high fived them . They just honestly cannot do enough to help whether its carrying drinks , finding a high chair or keeping everything clean . The food is good we always checked out both restaurants so as not to miss anything , fresh omelettes for breakfast , fresh pasta and pizza for tea , I think our favourite was their paprika beef and sautéed potatoes , I don't understand the comments about boring food , there was always something new to try. We were given a fabulous room just outside the baby pool which the kids loved with a huge bull outside . The room was cleaned everyday by more happy smiling staff ,and the rooms are amazing , and there was no charge for the safe which i've always had to pay for previously. The porters ferry your luggage back and forth with no charge ,and sort the safe . Please make sure you explore because it so huge you can miss things ,ask one of the fabulous animation team and they will show you everything there is to see . We used the baby sitting in the kids club and although my son initially cried he soon stopped and we had an hour to ourselves , and he didn't want to leave when we went back . The spa is amazing make sure you try one of their packages , we both tried the hammam scrub , massage and Jacuzzi package which I highly recommend ! Lastly but by no means least I have to mention the amazing animation team who work tirelessly day in day out providing aqua robics , yoga , kids disco , darts , ping pong , morrocan nights , music during the day and night , quizzes ,and just general fun . Ismail , Momo , Abdel and Fatima we miss you all , love Harley (Chelsea) and George and their mummas. Ps we will be back just not quite so soon as last time .

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

1,142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My best friend and I booked to stay at the Eden Andalou Spa Hotel and 13 days before we were meant to travel, Groupon gave us a refund and said we could no longer stay there!! We panicked and afer some research we booked to stay here. And I have to say we have not been dissapointed!!!

We stayed here from 10th to 15th June for a short break. We were apprehensive after reading the reviews but we needn't have worried because this hotel is fab!

We checked in earlier than they allowed and nothing was too much trouble. We were welcomed with peppermint tea and shown to our room. We had requested a quiet room, mountain view and high floor. We got every request granted. Our balcony door did not lock so we told guest relations and they sent someone to fix it straight away and then later asked if everything was ok. Excellent service!! Reception staff were friendly. Yes there English is limited but again nothing was too much trouble for them.

The reviews about stealing I dont understand at all because during our stay nobody in the hotel had any problems at all and some people didn't even use the safes!

The restaurants were fine. I'll be honest I wasnt overly keen on the Morrocan food but the bits I tried were nice. There is a good selection of food each night but it is a bit samey. We chose to eat in the Italian most nights and there was fresh pizza and pasta and meat or fish. Delicious. The staff in there were very friendly and again nothing too much trouble for them.

The pools are amazing! I think there are about 7-8 pools and every single one has a lifeguard assigned to it regardless of whether anyone is even using it! Very safety concious. They also have a selection of arm bands and life jackets at 2 of the pools for anyone who isn't a confident swimmer. People have moaned on here the pools are cold........i'm glad they were because it was roasting!!!!!! Music by the pool which was good too. Sun loungers very comfy and you get towel cards to use the hotel towels, easy to use and means you can get fresh towels whenever you want! easy and hassle free.

The one thing that totally made our holiday was just how friendly the animation team were and how hard they work to make you happy!!!! Every day they organise activities and if there aren't many people want to do it they will ask you what you want to do. There is water polo, aqua aerobics, shooting, football, mini golf, ping pong, pool, tennis....and plenty more. They spoke to us every day and made our holiday special. Ismail, MoMo, Abdel and Fatima were brilliant and they even helped us with any infor,ation we needed like transfers, trips and going out at night. My friend and I are 27 and we joined in the kids mini disco every night! It was so much fun and the animation team would often get us to join in with the evening dancing. There is bingo and music quiz and a live band for the evening and when the DJ is on they will play whatever music you want.

We used the free shuttle bus to go to Marrakech and this was a lovely morning out. Yes we got a little hassle but if you politely say la shuckran which is arabic for no thank you they leave you alone.

The aqua park was amazing and lots of fun! We used the Spa too which was great. Definitely recommend this!!

All in all a great hotel and we want to come back next year.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Burwash, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I chose this hotel for our first holiday together, and absolutely loved it. We weren't sure what to expect after reading some of the reviews but we had no negative experiences at all. The place itself is beautiful, very clean and very well kept. There are always staff busy keeping the hotel looking good. We had a room above the Tagine restaurant with a balcony looking over pretty much the whole complex, which we agreed was probably the best place to stay here, the back rooms overlook pretty much just wasteland so we would have asked to change had we been given one of them rooms. The pools were lovely - can't understand people moaning about them being too cold - thats exactly what you want to cool off in the burning sun! Equally, the aqua park was awesome, brilliant slides which were well staffed - make sure to ask them to give you an extra spin when they push you off in the dingys, it makes it even better. 2 pool bars open most of the day so never too far to walk for a drink, the beer was good for all inclusive, no watered down spirits etc. The food could be quite samey but there is a lot of variety so if you don't like the look of the food in one restaurant just go to the other! Fresh pizzas made daily while you watch and the restaurants are open long enough for them never to be busy. The staff were very polite and helpful, apart from the reception staff who didn't speak much English so could come across as quite miserable. The animation team in particular were fantastic! Always rallying people up for events such as water polo, dance classes by the pool, yoga, football etc, and they will assist you with anything you want to do outside the hotel, we did the Marrakech by night tour and a camel ride, both organised for us by Ismail, one of the team.They like a bit of banter and are very funny, work their nuts off there day and night and will help you out as much as they can. Being half term we were expecting it to me rammed but there was always a bed available by the pool and wasn't busy at all. They are building a new block so I expect it will be busier in the future, but although we were aware of them working it caused us no disruptions at all. We had nothing stolen from our room despite not using the safe, and regularly left our stuff by the sunbeds to go off to the slides. Evening entertainment is what you would expect, children's disco followed by an adults disco/bingo/the usual but it is what you make it, and we had lots of fun. We reccomend visiting Bo-Zin, a restaurant not far away, very chic with a modern vibe, quite expensive but as it was a special occasion for us we're glad we went, nicest restaurant either or us have been to. All in all we had an amazing holiday, no complaints, and will definitely return to this hotel in the future!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to face the pools, otherwise you'll be looking at nothing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This has been our first time in morocco, and the hotel has been first class. The staff have been very friendly and courteous. The food has been excellent,and momo and the animation team have been brilliant. We plan to come back next year and we would be recommending it to our friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Peterborough UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have just spent a week at the Aqua Fun Club hotel (30th May to 6th June '13). The hotel had very low occupancy and so two of the restaurants were closed (Tagine & Asiateque) this left the two main buffet areas. These served average food which was the same every night. So if you like pizzas and pasta freshly made this will be great for you. For us it was boring. A couple of unexpected additions were the local tax which we had to pay on arrival. For my wife and I for 7 nights we had to pay 385 Moroccan Dinahs, this had to go on the credit card so will end up costing even more. Then there was the building work. They are just completing a new accommodation block and we had cement lorries arriving in the early hours and workmen hammering, drilling and sawing throughout the day (our room over looked the back of the block where the work was going on).
The aqua park was great though, it really gave us something to do most days and the slides were top notch. Just a couple of things if you are taking kids... the red painted paths are really slippery (we saw several kids slipping over and me too!) when you have wet feet from the pools and also they are very hot during the day, you have to walk to the flight of stairs to get to the start of your slide and this cooked your feet along the way.
There is a free shuttle bus to the center of Marrakesh which leaves the hotel twice a day. It takes about twenty minutes each way and this is a good way of seeing the people and their culture. However, if you have never been to an Arab country before prepare yourselves for street beggars, price haggling and being hassled as you look around the markets.
At the hotel in the evening the entertainment consisted of a three piece live band who played the same songs every night. Plus kids dancing too. All of the music and talking was very loud and you could not have a conversation. I think that because hotel occupancy was low they really did not make any effort with the entertainment.
In summary we felt that we had not received the best of the hotel because it was quiet. The unexpected tax on arrival and poor food really put us off and we will not be going back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter at night because of the construction work.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We went to this resort during the half term returning on 3rd June.
Yes there are some issues with the resort but nothing major, but considering the price you pay for the holiday they are inconsequential.
I would agree with the review written by Nicola, I'm not sure what people expect, they want 5 star for 3 star price. The rooms are a little tired but they are clean and spacious, also you don't spend a vast amount of time in them so not sure about the bad reviews. Also about items going missing. We left iPhones on charge in the room and after returning to the room after housekeeping had cleaned it they were still there and the shoes were surprisingly still there too!!!
The pools were on the cold side. This we learned was due to the cooler than average May they had in marrakech but that didnt stop the the kids or me jumping in.
The food was fine, only 2 of the 3 restaurants were open, but still managed to find food for all of us.
All in all if you want 5 star resort this isn't it. It's a perfectly fine resort with a great aqua park.

• Stayed June 2013
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I came here with my nan, mum and two daughters (11 & 13)
The hotel is great. All the staff are very friendly especially the entertainment team who all worked hard and did a fantastic job. Unfortunately there isnt enough of them so the entertainment in the evening was lacking. I think this is something that the hotel needs to consider. I would definately have returned if the evenings were better. I will be sad to say goodbye to the team as they were fantastic.
There were a few incidents when people slipped (my daughter being one of them) over due to the staff not using wet floor signs but she was seen by a nurse and then a doctor at the hotel. Her elbow was a bit sore but she was ok after a couple of days.
The food is ok I have had a lot worse but can be a samey especially after 2 weeks.

Room Tip: ask for a room above the restaurants facing the pool. or perhaps the new block
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!