“Great Water Park!..very average hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   18, Route de l'Ourika, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #265 of 460 Hotels in Marrakech
Peterborough UK
“Great Water Park!..very average hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We have just spent a week at the Aqua Fun Club hotel (30th May to 6th June '13). The hotel had very low occupancy and so two of the restaurants were closed (Tagine & Asiateque) this left the two main buffet areas. These served average food which was the same every night. So if you like pizzas and pasta freshly made this will be great for you. For us it was boring. A couple of unexpected additions were the local tax which we had to pay on arrival. For my wife and I for 7 nights we had to pay 385 Moroccan Dinahs, this had to go on the credit card so will end up costing even more. Then there was the building work. They are just completing a new accommodation block and we had cement lorries arriving in the early hours and workmen hammering, drilling and sawing throughout the day (our room over looked the back of the block where the work was going on).
The aqua park was great though, it really gave us something to do most days and the slides were top notch. Just a couple of things if you are taking kids... the red painted paths are really slippery (we saw several kids slipping over and me too!) when you have wet feet from the pools and also they are very hot during the day, you have to walk to the flight of stairs to get to the start of your slide and this cooked your feet along the way.
There is a free shuttle bus to the center of Marrakesh which leaves the hotel twice a day. It takes about twenty minutes each way and this is a good way of seeing the people and their culture. However, if you have never been to an Arab country before prepare yourselves for street beggars, price haggling and being hassled as you look around the markets.
At the hotel in the evening the entertainment consisted of a three piece live band who played the same songs every night. Plus kids dancing too. All of the music and talking was very loud and you could not have a conversation. I think that because hotel occupancy was low they really did not make any effort with the entertainment.
In summary we felt that we had not received the best of the hotel because it was quiet. The unexpected tax on arrival and poor food really put us off and we will not be going back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are quieter at night because of the construction work.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We went to this resort during the half term returning on 3rd June.
Yes there are some issues with the resort but nothing major, but considering the price you pay for the holiday they are inconsequential.
I would agree with the review written by Nicola, I'm not sure what people expect, they want 5 star for 3 star price. The rooms are a little tired but they are clean and spacious, also you don't spend a vast amount of time in them so not sure about the bad reviews. Also about items going missing. We left iPhones on charge in the room and after returning to the room after housekeeping had cleaned it they were still there and the shoes were surprisingly still there too!!!
The pools were on the cold side. This we learned was due to the cooler than average May they had in marrakech but that didnt stop the the kids or me jumping in.
The food was fine, only 2 of the 3 restaurants were open, but still managed to find food for all of us.
All in all if you want 5 star resort this isn't it. It's a perfectly fine resort with a great aqua park.

• Stayed June 2013
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I came here with my nan, mum and two daughters (11 & 13)
The hotel is great. All the staff are very friendly especially the entertainment team who all worked hard and did a fantastic job. Unfortunately there isnt enough of them so the entertainment in the evening was lacking. I think this is something that the hotel needs to consider. I would definately have returned if the evenings were better. I will be sad to say goodbye to the team as they were fantastic.
There were a few incidents when people slipped (my daughter being one of them) over due to the staff not using wet floor signs but she was seen by a nurse and then a doctor at the hotel. Her elbow was a bit sore but she was ok after a couple of days.
The food is ok I have had a lot worse but can be a samey especially after 2 weeks.

Room Tip: ask for a room above the restaurants facing the pool. or perhaps the new block
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We've just returned from our 2nd trip to Aqua Fun Club, having enjoyed it so much last year we decided to return. We travelled with our 2 boys, aged 4 and 5, and would throughly recommend this hotel.

Whilst it wasn't perfect it's saddened me to read some of the damning reviews and I can only wonder what some people expect from such a comparatively cheap holiday. The staff are generally really friendly and everyone we spoke to had a good command of English. We asked to change rooms for a pool view, which we were told initally wasn't possible but, with polite persistence and good humour, we got our way! Our room was clean and well-maintained, although the air con wasn't working initially. However, one phone call to maintenance and it was fixed within half an hour. The maids amused our boys each day with different hiding places for their teddies, and folding their pjs into various shapes and designs, and we didn't experience or hear of any compliants of loss of belongings. In fact I left a t-shift in our 1st room before we changed rooms and the maid delivered it back to me before I even realised it was missing.

The food is fresh, varied and nicely presented and the waiting staff are always keen to help and very polite. The waterpark is fabulous - great for all ages - and there were lifeguards on duty in each of the numerous swimming pools. Life jackets were readily availabe for children, and I can't see why anyone would mind signing for them as the exact same ones were for sale in the hotel shop so could easily get muddled up. The lifeguards were friendly and polite and always made the effort to interact with the children.

The entertainment was good - a fun, if predictable, children's disco at 9pm, which our boys throughly enjoyed, and a talented local band. The staff were great with the children and always cheerful despite working long hours. The free shuttle bus into Marrakech is a great bonus and Marrakech is certainly worth a good few visits. We also did a trip to Ourika valley, which was beautiful.

All in all a great holiday, full of fun, and we'd certainly consider a 3rd return visit. It's just a shame that some people seem determined to find fault.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
chadwell Heath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I enjoyed myself but There were bad points about this hotel which if these were improved upon then the hotel would be excellent and it's a shame that these let it down.

We went in May and the Swimming pool water was freezing and unfortunately due to this being an aqua park we couldn't enjoy it to its fullest extent. This made us get ill so was a big down side but something the hotel needs to think about on how to improve upon.

The other bad point was reception staff were awful whereas on the other hand the entertainment team were fantastic. If the hotel improved on who they selected to employ on reception that would improve the place to a great extent.

Apart from these two important points its a great sized hotel, we liked the little park, the small crazy golf, the football and tennis court and of course the aqua park I feel that was good value for what you pay. There are life guards at every pool which is great to see they do take seriously.

There's always ways to make this better of course and I really hope the owners listen to its customers as with my views above.

joanbirmimgham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

great hotel ismail helpin me to the nurse when I said I didn't feel well........great guide to market.....food nice and love pancakes my girls add a great time ......... apart from the bread which you can see threw gym window .great time the women and men cleaned non stop .

Room Tip: try get pool side I was at back with no balcony
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

That's completely true as that guest said, food was the same every day, thieving house keeping, no signs when the floors were wet. Yes and the pregnant did slip, I nearly broke my arm whist on the water slides along with my 7 year daughter coming of a dingy, health and safety really poor, no speaks english at reception only entertainment staff, same old entertainment every night(band sings same songs everyday) kids entertainment starts at 9pm every night so they get tired & fall asleep so making you take to bed. Bees and flys around the soft drinks at the bars, no vanilla ice cream for kids had to wait 2 days for this, toilets in open areas you can easily see in the men's.( reflecting from a large mirror). Good for kids not for adults this place is a jail, Once in you can't get out! Hundreds questions asked at security at hotel gates. Do you self a favour go to a different place, trust me.

Room Tip: Don't bother better of indoors
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!