“Great place need qualified staff” 4 of 5 stars

Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18, Route de l'Ourika, Marrakech 4000, Morocco   |
Ranked #263 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
london
“Great place need qualified staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Me my wife and 2 children we spent great time in aqua fun .the hotel was very clean the food very good plenty and good variety the drinks plenty . The service was in doubt . Bear in mind that the hotel is managed by Egyptians not moroccans . When I was check in The Egyptian guy in The reception stop in The middle of check in and start talking to a girl using innapropriate sexual gestures It was embarrassing . The second event when another Egyptian manager in The restaurant try to harass my wife asking her too many questions while she is choosing her food . MY wife was disturbed and ask me to report him . When I complain to one Morocco staff if told me that its sad the third event was The morning usually the slides started at 10 am . NO one was there I complain to another Egyptian manager if was polite and understanding and he rush to advise the staff to start . In general the place is beautiful . ANd too many slides for your children . The place is quite far from marrakech . You can use grand taxis or book the free shuttle bus .

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My wife and I visted this resort with our two children. During our stay my daughter, who was 4 years old at the time, stepped on a man hole cover next to a children’s swimming pool. The metal cover ‘gave way’ and she dropped into the man hole (approx.1.5m square). The cover then crashed back down completely covering the hole and my daughter. She was submerged in water up to her chest in complete darkness. Another hotel resident witnessed what had happened and raised the alarm. I managed to remove the cover and pull her from the hole. She was petrified, shaking uncontrollably and could not even speak for hours after this horrible experience. She suffered cuts and bruises as a result of the fall and the metal cover hitting her. Many men in overalls came to look at the hole and even more men with mobile phones and walkie talkies joined in. They deduced that the cover was not the correct size and eventually covered the hole with a larger thicker replacement. No one came to speak to us or my daughter. A fellow hotel resident who also witnessed what had happened complained to the reception staff and still no one approached us. Finally, the next morning we spoke to reception and demanded to speak to the manager and we were granted an audience. The manager (Mr Waleed El Sokkary) apologised for the lack of contact and claimed that he had been misinformed about the incident. He claimed that he had not been told that a child had dropped in the hole. He promised to investigate the matter and offered us a complimentary hamper. Also, he offered us a complimentary room for 1 week, which he confirmed in writing. My daughter was and still is severely traumatised by this terrible experience and continues to have nightmares about it. We have been trying to book our complimentary holiday since May 2012. We have been telephoning this hotel for months without any progress. We have been given excuses and have found the staff to be obstructive and unhelpful. The manager does not seem to ever be around to take calls, even when we call at pre arranged times. We are constantly being frustrated by people who claim to speak no English (when we stayed there every member of front line staff spoke English!!). To conclude, my family had a great time at the Aqua Fun Club and we were happy to return despite the incident. However, they have treated us terribly since then and behaved in a very unprofessional, dispicable and negectful manner. I am disgusted at the way they deliberatly ignored emails & telephone calls from me Broadway Travel and Hotels4u.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Not sure how long it is closed for renovation but we had a reservation through Kayak from December 26th through January 1st.

What a horrible experience to show up with a reservation only to find bulldozers and constructions workers everywhere. Not sure who is to blame: Kayak (who we booked through) or the hotel.

FYI - It is quite a distance from the Marrekesh/Medina.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I got so excited when I saw this hotel thinking it would be like the one in Egypt! Far from it.. Don't get me the wrong the hotel itself is lovely, friendly staff, the food was actually nice, rooms cleaned everyday if there was a problem staff ensure it was quickly resolved.. However the male workers really put me off.. I wouldn't come alone with just the girls here again if I was to return would most defo be with family! The waterpark itself just does not compare to the Sharm el Sheikh one.. Overall worth a visit

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We went with some other friends so didn't pick the hotel but have to say a great choice

Very clean hotel and good selection of food.

Entertainment not great but they did try

Aqua park was really good fun which brought out the kid in me

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Me and my partner have just returned (15th Nov) from 8 nights at the Aqua Fun Club and overall our expierence was a good one.

The hotel was very clean and the room we had was very nice overlooking the pools.
The food was good they seemed to changed it most nights.
The staff were helpful when you needed them however some of their knowlege about certain things was not good and waiting for beach towels sometimes took nearly 30 minutes which seemed too long to wait!

The Shuttle bus to the old town was ok (took around 20 minutes) but i dont know how they manage when the hotel is full as you had to pre book it the night or two before, it also only runs till 12.30 when they pick you up and if you wanted to stay for longer they didnt give you any infomration on how to get back. We eventally found a bus that went to the hotel for around 6p each!

The slides were really fun but we had to asked for them to be turned on on one occasion.
The hotel itself is having renervation which none of us were aware of. It didnt effect us too much but some people had to be moved to another hotel.

We also went to the Spa and it was ok but the Jacuzzi wasnt working and then they tried to bump us off saying it was free in the deal that we got, we didnt mind too much as we got other things that were not included. But make sure you haggle on the price!

Overall I would recommed this hotel. The food is good, its clean and the staff are overall very helpful and the location is good, not too far from the old town and the hotel provides a free shuttle bus.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Reception
Not the best we have encountered, if you have a problem 5 minutes means 2 hours. Not enough information provided about the hotel and its facilities. No baggage service when leaving and watch out for the taxes they seem to charge all sorts of rates they seem to pluck numbers from thin air.

Room
We changed rooms after the first night due to adults who could not control their children, singing Frère Jacques at 1:30 in the morning we were certainly not sleeping. Reception Manager called at the room and things were quiet for a short time but then started again really early. We went to reception and said we needed to change rooms. This was at 8:30am we were told to go back at 13:00hrs to see if they could move us. We arrived back at reception at 13:00hrs to be told we had a room nearer the restaurant; we were a little sceptical about this but thought we would have a look. What a lovely surprise. I have to say the room was far superior than the one we had paid for with an outlook over olive groves and to the Atlas Mountains.

Rain had been falling quite badly when we arrived and caused problems for the hotel. This resulted in a problem with the water supply and the hotel was out of any running water for some considerable time. The shower ran ice cold or hot no in-between but when speaking to other guests this seemed to be happening to everyone so just got on with it and let others do the complaining in this case as I felt within a short space of time I had spent too much time complaining at Reception.

The rooms were cleaned on a daily basis with clean white towels although the pool towels left a lot to be desired.

Animation
Previous reviewers have raved about it but we thought it was not that special comparing it to other family holidays in Marrakech, Tunisia and Turkey, and for their trip to the square in the evening 150dhm each I think you would find more the monkey men and snake charmers in the square more honest. Total rip off and glad that this was not my first trip to Marrakech. The smile soon disappears when you say NO.

Dining
This must be the worst dining experience we have ever encountered during our family holidays. No dress code required, but your children have to be from the feral species they must scream and shout and have no table manners, you as a parent must set an example to your feral children and not use the tongs provided use your fingers and press and touch every croissant in sight, don’t stand in a que and wait your turn just push to the front. No silver service here you will be lucky to get a paper napkin and cutlery and not much of a smile, but on the positive side you will save money as I always tipped for good service but went home with most of my money due to the lack of non-existent service 

BEWARE OF DIRTY PLATES DISHWASHER MUST BE BROKEN…..Residue of food still stuck to what are supposed to be clean plates…disgusting. This happened most days.

Breakfast: No fresh orange juice….my god this is Marrakech…every hotel and riad I had previously stayed in provided it in abundance. Omelettes, Crepes and Croissants no complaints but no pan au chocolat
Lunch: Bland, bland, bland, bland- Tagines no seasoning, no saffron, no Ras al Hanout but plenty of fat I will give the chef a special award for the worst Tagines in Marrakech. Pasta- if you like Pasta…you won’t like this, bland, unseasoned and no sauce….
Dinner: THE SAME AS LUNCH probably reheated from lunch time.

Fast Food Diner: Not enough food they ran out 45min before the end of service. On the day we did go they did not have enough plates and had to have 3 meals on one plate. We ordered 3 burgers when we got to our table we found that we had a 1/4 of a burger in each roll not a quarter pounder as you would expect…looks like they were running out of food again. In defense of the hotel if some of the guests did not insist on piling their plates so high there might be enough to go around…

This hotel has some great reviews and I am sure some people have had good holidays. Reviewers previous photographs of food served in the hotel in August resembled nothing to what we were served between the 30th of October and 6th November, we can only comment on our experience of the hotel during our weeks stay.

Would we return NO…………Would we recommend NO………you have been warned…..

Room Tip: Avoid the family block. Interconnecting doors with other family's and the noise is really loud...