“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #267 of 461 Hotels in Marrakech
england
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Spent 6 nights here in Aug. Very nice hotel. Nice grounds and swimming pools well maintained. We had a very comfortable family room. The air con worked really well in such heat. Food was fab. So many dishes to try if you eat meat. Never got bored of it. The hotel has a water park which we all loved and had great fun in. They have a good animation team but some evenings there was not much on so got a bit boring. Used the spa on site was ok but nothing special. Overall would book and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I came to aqua fun club with my family in august for 10 nights and there were a party of 6 of us. When we arrived at the hotel we were welcomed by Mohamed from the animation team..he then told us everything we needed to know about our hotel and the facilities in and around the hotel! He was very helpfull and gave us a warm welcoming! I dont know why there are so many negative comments on the hotel as there are no negative points at all and the negative comments should be ignored! For the people that book this hotel they need to see for themselves not listen to the comments on here. There are lots of activities to do with your animation team!Which entertain day and night. The animation team were fab and were always willing to help you! They do lots of aqtivities like table tennis..water polo..aqua gym..darts..football..volleyball and many more and a fantastic aqua park! Activities at a night in the night club with dj Mohamed. The food had no faults to it and if you wanted certain foods the chef would cook them for you,without a proplem! Food was served all day all thanks to the food and beverage manager Mr yasser.

Thank you to all of the staff and management and also a big thank you to the animation team Mohamed,Salah,ismael,taha,maha. We will be coming back soon and have made some great friends!!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Hi being a 13 year old girl I was bound to have a good time. After reading some of the tripadvisor reviews I wasn't looking so forward to this holiday. We reached the hotel in the evening and had a few problems with our room (as avi b said-my dad). As im not a very adventurous eater I stuck to plain foods like pasta and rice and these were nice but I lived on these for all seven days. We had multiple issues with our safe and the bell boy Fatallah came at least once a day to our room. He was a big help. Me and my brother made friends with the animation team but unfortunately only did this in the last few days of our stay. There was always something to do...like they had activities like water polo in the pool, table tennis, football and much more so there was pretty much something for everyone. In the evenings in the piano bar they had dancing for kids then the animation team would just entertain until about 2 am. As the week went on, I enjoyed the holiday more and more and the waterslides were good too. I was pretty much in the pool the whole day and food was being served almost every hour of the day. (breakfast,late breakfast,lunch,ice cream,crepes,dinner,late dinner) and drinks were available all day. One bad thing was that the cleaners were very noisy in the mornings - from about 9am they were cleaning outside our rooms and the mops kept banging on the door so it was like someone was knocking on it every 2 minutes. Outside was very slippery as cleaners were always mopping and I slipped many times. Overall I enjoyed it a lot as the people who worked there were very nice...i would go back in the future :)

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Our party consisted of 3 adults and 1 teenager. We arrived on the 16th August 2012 staying for 7 nights on an all -inclusive basis. 1st impressions were not good, no one to assist with the luggage and a “cold” check in with no welcome greeting or smile. We booked 2 rooms and were allocated rooms 4103 and 4105, both on the ground floor of one of the blocks. Room 4105 had no safe and the balcony door would not lock and was secured via a door chain, a DIY temporary fix. Our check in time was 8pm ish so we highlighted the problems to the receptionist and went to the restaurant for dinner. At 11.30pm we returned to our rooms to find nothing had been done. A bit disappointed I returned to reception and asked for someone to accompany me to the room. It just so happens this was the manager. He arranged for someone to bring a safe to the room and asked the handy man to secure the balcony door by drilling into the frame screwing it shut. The noise and all the commotion woke the neighbour and her 2 young girls. We asked to be relocated and after much deliberation they found us a room on the 1st floor, which also had a faulty balcony door. I found a cockroach in our bathroom which was removed by one of the cleaning staff. Not sure if I know the answer to this but with goggles on I can see clearly underwater but I found that this was not the case with almost all the swimming pools. Could it have something to do with the chlorine levels? A generator of some sort disturbed my sleep for a few nights so worth noting when it comes to your room allocation if you are a light sleeper which I am not.
We also had some issues with the safe not opening / operating as it should do. Futallah the bell boy was extremely helpful and nothing was too much for him.
Anyway after a rocky start all went well and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The hotel probably acquired its 5 star status because of the waterpark facilities, which are vast and would suit almost everyone. I have been fortunate enough to stop in many 5 star hotels all over the world and if you think you have booked a 5 star equivalent to “our” 5 star hotels then you will be disappointed.
There are only 2 bars open on the evening and both have 1 person serving so there is always a delay when you go to the bar.
As per some of the reviews I read the food is repetitive but only because there is so much on offer all at the same time.
This is my true version of our stay and hopefully it helps you in your decision making process which is difficult because other people staying at the hotel at the same time as us stated it was the best place they had ever stayed.

Room Tip: A tip we did not book any transfers and paid 400 dirhams from the airport. They will argue with you...
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Hi all,

We went on our hols in late July 2012. When we approach the resort it looked fantastic and the staff here very friendly. We were given our room, which to be honest was severely bad ! The view was over the staff area and the room was bad. However after discussion with the friendly team behind the reception they moved us to a pool side room... fantastic, also the beds were so comfortable, the best my wife has slept on (she has a severely bad back) and the beds catered for this !

Staff - Fantastic, I cannot fault any of them. Everyone was really kind and helpful. The animation staff were great.
Facilities - The Waterpark is absolutely fantastic. It was empty even at peak season, who there was not waiting for any of the rides. Safety was number 1 priority for the staff. The Hotel was very very very very clean... the team of cleaners really worked that extra effort to keep the resort in top shape. All the sunbeds were working and in good order, however the normal putting towels down early morning happened after 4 days of being there. It is a shame that the mini golf was not working, the kids would have liked to play on it. It also seemed that some of the bars and restaurants were shut down. Although it says there are loads of eating facilities, there is only 1 restaurant.

Food - I really wish I could say, it was fantastic.. but it was not. After 1 day the same food kept coming out, time and time again. I understand they must cater for a large amount of people, but the quality was v poor and tasteless. From day 3 onwards, we just ate salad and fresh baked arabic bread... everything else was not good.. The times were also very very strange. Breakfast was OK, lunch was 12-2 but after that there was nothing to eat until 7pm, a few pastries at 5pm but no ice-cream from 1pm (very strange).
Drink - The bottled water was in large supply, if you wanted a bottle it was everywhere to get it.. great ! Beer was also fantastic, very strong but very taste. The local vodka etc were OK, nothing to complain about.

Overall, it was a good holiday, very clean (inc the pools) but the food really let them down..

Room Tip: Ask for a family room around the smaller pool, or a pool side room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We travelled with family of 12 people and we absolutely enjoyed ourselves, i would comment on the food,great choice of food but not tasty. as i was expecting moroccan food to be delicious. The kids have plenty to do and loads of entertainment in the evening and the kids mini disco was fabulous. People are lovely but most of them dont speak english which was hard to communicate with them. overall great hotel and staff. would recommend this hotel for families with kids.

Room Tip: Ask for a family room as it is very spacious with kids.
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Ok so my boyfriend and I stayed at the aqua fun club for 10nights in August 2012 and it...ok.

Staff:
Such a mixed bag I'm afraid - most of the reception staff looked like their faces would break if they cracked a smile and more often than not, not particularly helpful. However their was one young girl who was great and polite so we would wait for her if we visited reception.
We had a few issues with the reception staff - mainly when it came to our safe in our room. Occasionally our safe would lock us out (if we put in the wrong code more than twice) and the only way to fix it was to get a member of staff to open it with some contraption. Now we had to call them over more than once, and each time we called reception we were left waiting for nearly two hours for someone to come over - annoyed us greatly. Now the first time we got locked out of our safe I assumed it was just our mistake. But it kept happening (every other day) and there was no way we were that careless - so just be aware of the cleaning staff.

We didn't have A great deal to do with the animation team apart from when we went on the Marrakech at night tour and Mohammed was a good guide, very informative and knew what he was doing. The only thing I would say about this was that the groups were too large for one guide - we would liked it to be a bit more personal. I cannot say a great deal more about the animation team because we didn't really get involved in the hotel activities - we were never pressured into joining anything which was great!

Rooms:
Spacious and clean and suited us just fine. It is not 5star western luxury but was absolutely fine for us! We were situated right out the way of the main hotel, room 4142, and I couldn't have picked a better location. We were out the way of the noise and cooking smells of the main hotel and were a stones throw away from the quieter adult pool. We had trouble with our shower on the first day but that was quickly rectified. The tv has about 2 English/american channels which shows movies and sitcoms which was ok for the evening.

Food:
Plentiful and a lot of choice. It's not the best food and I did find it quite oily at times but there was always something to eat even for the fussiest of people.
Their was always a well stocked salad bar and dessert table and hot food on the mediterranean table and tajine table. There not separate restuarants, the bar separates them and you can easily walk between them. If your lucky you will get some great food - like the lamb and prunes tajine or the sweet chicken pastry - I could eat them all day every day.

The hotel suited our needs just fine as we spent half the time on excursions and days out. If I was to come back to morocco I would stay in the city centre and not so far out - but it would be great for families with kids because of the water slides.

All in all, not a bad hotel - just the staff really really let them down.

Room Tip: Rooms to the far left are the best if you want peace and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!