“Excellent Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #275 of 462 Hotels in Marrakech
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Hi we have just returned from Aqua Fun Club and we had a fantastic time. I was intially worried after reading some of the reviews.The room we had was large and very clean, the bathroom was also very clean. We had clean towels everyday, they also provide fresh pool towels everyday too. I must say that this is the cleanest complex that i have stayed on. The cleaning was around the clock, the ladies all work very hard cleaning the floors, they were not slippery, in 25c heat the floor dries in 2 mins? I have been to many other places where they dont clean many times and you end up with flies and wasps buzzing around you all day. For a more relaxing and quiet holiday you would go around this time of year, if you want entertainment and late nights then go during peak times. The slides were shut, but you could play crazy golf and they had other activities you could do, like tennis, table tennis and classes. I feel that the location is spot on, no there isnt anything within walking distance but you have the shuttle should you wish to go to the town and it only takes 20 mins. The food was excellent quality and the resturant manager Qouissem Karim was very friendly, had a good sense of humour and couldnt have done anymore for us.The staff were asking if everything was good, brought us drinks and cleared our plates away very quickly. I highly recommend the beef tagine and even asked for the recipe. They had a good selection of food to please everyone. The sweets are very good too. We will be returning next year.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
manchester, england
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

Read into this what you will, but this is a copy of a letter sent to the customer services contact with the hotel, there are also copies of the emails that went back and forth before the holiday.
It is worth noting that both Broadway Travel AND the hotel have BOTH FAILED to respond in any way, shape or form.

Dear Mrs Mansour,
It is with great sadness that I again write to you as I have just had one of the most disorganised and poorly executed holidays ever.
I would firstly like to list in order the problems experienced and then report what SHOULD have been the experience.
1. On arrival at Marrakech airport, the transfer vehicle I had booked with you was also collecting 2 other couples (4 persons) plus everyone's luggage. The vehicle employed for this was an 8 seater with very limited luggage space.

2. Due to the error with the transfer booking, we had an unscheduled 30 minute wait (the driver acted correctly by not "abandoning the extra 2 persons) at the airport for an extra vehicle to arrive.

3. on arrival at your hotel, we had been allocated the smallest rooms in the hotel (4000 rooms) despite previous emails to you clearly expressing the need for extra space in 1 of the rooms.

4. There were no extra bed or cot in either room when we checked in, nor would there have been space for them.

5. On rejecting the rooms as unsuitable, we were then given 2 rooms in the 2000 block which were of a suitable size and after a bit of delay, finally got a cot supplied and erected by about 02:30am allowing us to get to bed around 03:00am.

6. On waking, we checked the rooms properly and found that both rooms had broken baths which had sharp edges along the breaks and oozed black stagnant water through the breaks when stood in, clearly a safety issue (particularly where small children are involved) and a health concern with trapped stagnant water breeding infections.

7. On the way to reception to get the rooms repaired/changed again, it turned out that the rooms had ALSO BEEN REJECTED FOR THE SAME REASON ONLY 2 DAYS BEFORE. This shows the hotel was aware of the faults and I later found out there is a problem with the baths in almost all of that block!! These rooms should NEVER have been allocated until repaired.

8.The animation team was not pro active for the first 3 days and ran virtually no animation. During the following 4 days, they became more active, but were not pro active in promoting the activities.

9. After the first 3 days, there was an extreme lack of drinking containers (cups/glasses) by the drinks machines in the restaurants, this could sometimes last for a whole sitting, and a distinct delay in refilling empty food serving trays, sometimes up to 20 minutes.

10. The restaurant staff were intrusive when clearing the tables due to being a bit too quick to want to remove used crockery, sometimes whilst you were simply taking a moment to allow food to reach your stomach.

11. When attempting on the day before leaving, to get the time we were to be departing the hotel on the prebooked (with you) transfer to the airport, I was told by reception to see my rep, this was strange as I did not have any information informing me I had a rep!! I was told to come back the day after as the rep had just left and would be back at 16:00 the following day. The reception staff were uninterested in helping with my enquiry when I explained I had booked the transfer with you and kept insisting I talk to the rep.
The following day I again returned to reception and had the same issue with the staff, I began to realise they either failed to understand what I was concerned about, failed to understand what I was talking about or as seemed most likely, simply were not interested in helping me to confirm the transfer details.
It was ONLY after I spoke to one of your animation team who spoke very good english, that I asked that staff member to accompany me to reception and act as an interpretor that I finally got an answer - "go and see the guest relations desk" ,a small school type desk by the outer entrance doors, only to find that NO RETURN TRANSFER BOOKING FOR MY PARTY HAD BEEN MADE.

12. I arranged a return transfer with your employee, I was told we could not depart when I would have liked to do but could go 30 minutes later at 17:00 to fit in with 2 other guests, this was not a problem, but what was a problem was when your guest relations then came looking for us at 16:15 telling us the transfer was leaving at 16:30 totally destroying the timetable we had planned to be ready for the stipulated time, thereby causing us to overlook and not prepare certain things.

I am sure that this unprofessional facade is not what you would like to have happened and would welcome any response from you as to why these problems were experienced.

!, the transfer vehicle capacity requirement was known before arrival and a suitable (I would have suggested the hotel courtesy bus) should have been used, this would have prevented item 2.

2. The rooms requirements were known before arrival and should have been chosen accordingly, they should also have been prepared with the requested beds and cot prior to arrival.

3. The rooms with damaged baths should NEVER have been allocated to anyone, and in view of the fact the hotel was running on approximately 35% occupancy is inexcusable as there should have been a massive surplus of usable rooms.
When a room has been rejected by a guest on the grounds of health or safety, that room should be fully checked and repaired before releasing it back to allocation.

4. The animation team needs to be more proactive in it's activities, by which, I mean they should be mingling with the guests more when not actually conducting an activity, and they should also be actively promoting the activities rather than as was the case, a quiet announcement over a quiet speaker by the Mickey Mouse pool. Get out there with the guests, chat to them, get them excited about wanting to join in the activities, promote what is going on, don't just post up a timetable on the side of the towel hut.

5. There seemed a strong lack of leadership and control in the restaurants, a manager or supervisor should have been evident and controlling the flow of drinking vessels and food serving trays. Sometimes a delay is inevitable, but the frequency and length of delays can only be due to a lack of control, this is extremely important to produce a pleasant experience.

6. Reception staff are the first point of contact for guests and it is imperative they be linguistic with the major languages they will meet (English, Spanish, French and German) They are also required to be able to understand a customer's needs and to be capable of helping to resolve any issues or to be confident enough to get someone in the hotel to sort out problems if they are unable to. Reception staff are the first point of contact for your guests and as such need to be capable and willing to project a professional image rather that seeming to want to pass the issue over to someone else not in attendance.

7. When a return transfer booking is made with you, it is of the ultimate importance that the details of the return journey are made known to the guest and that THE RETURN JOURNEY IS ACTUALLY BOOKED TO THE AIRPORT.
It is also important that the details of a return journey are kept to and not changed with less than 1 hours notice - very unprofessional.

I look forward to hearing from you as to why these failings have occurred and what measures have been put in place to prevent them happening again.

I am forwarding a copy of this letter to my holiday company (Broadway Travel) whom I believe are responsible for just about all your british guests during our stay and account for a large potion of your bookings. I am also contemplating posting this letter on Tripadviser (which I know is monitored by the hotel as the management has started to reply to issues raised, tough from first hand experience, they simply reply but fail to act on the comments made) so that the information is in the public domain.

Please note that this is an edited version as I am not allowed to report the similar events that other guests had experienced. By the same quirk, I am also not allowed to report the positive experiences that some guests had (those that were allocated family suites for only 2 people)

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

My husband & I booked the break away to celebrate our 6th Anniversary. We stayed from 29th Sept-Oct 6th (so this review is well overdue), however our stay overall was a very pleasant one. We booked the travel package deal through Broadway Travels - which was a first. This was also our first time to North Africa which was interesting. The flight was fine, the transfer good and we had a pleasant welcome to the hotel. It was quiet as the holiday season was over but I didn't mind at all - especially in view of the ocasion. Donia on the front desk was very sweet and help. I made it know to her that we were celebrating out Anniversary and she sorted out a real treat for us. We received a free room upgrade and was allocated a junior suite in the main building. The room was very thoughfully prepared for us with those extra special touches for the ocasion-ie. rose petals in the bath and on the bed. The room itself was huge and spacious. So was the bed. The fridge stocked and the bathroom clean and modern. Thanks also to Yousef for accomodating my particular sensitivity to noise. He was very patient indeed. As nice as the room was I did ask to be moved to a quieter section of the hotel-due to the loud disco in the basement of the main building. It wasn't a problem for very polite and accomodating staff on reception. Well done Donia and Youseff for helping me to enjoy my stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
waleed E, Manager at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for your review.
We are very glad, indeed, that you enjoyed your wedding anniversary with us at the Aqua Fun Club.
Our staff is always ready to satisfy any guest needs, and to make sure everyone spend a very pleasant stay.
Please don`t hesitate to come visit us once again, we are all waiting for you.
Management
Stoneleigh, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

No transfer at the airport left to the wolves in very old merc cabs starting at 500 Dir ham got it for 250. On arrival the reception and drive in was lovely. Our room was big and spacious the bell boy very helpful. We went out of season - middle age couple, the Hotel was very quiet but kept very clean, the food was ok we managed to make a meal each time we visited. We had to use public transport into Marrakesh 50 p each which ends at 8pm so again Taxis 250 -300 Dirham £23- £28 as the hotel shuttle was only available once per day 10am - 12 am. The water park was switched off in the main which was disappointing for some. The bar was suppose to be open until 12 but was closed earlier even though guests in numbers were there? The marble floors are slippy when wet... The hotel is lovely the whole complex is incredible, a massive investment, just a bit too far away from anywhere, but the staff are trying so hard to get positive feedback and given time will pull off a blinder an amazing resort given the location. It needs time to bed in I suppose and as it was empty lacked atmosphere. Given the big rush to finish in time which did not happen like anywhere of this scale. There will be ongoing maintenance issues. But once all the Gremlins are sorted and the staff become more cohesive it will be well worth another stay, great for kids!! Attention whilst in Marrakesh ladies in traditional clothing approach you and draw on your hand with Henna for free then shout and scream demanding money! Over all experience was good lovely place - once the raggy edges are sorted a rough diamond with great potential. Mohammad was great on entertainment bless he was challenged at the weekends with rushes of locals!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely we loved the villa style rooms near the tennis courts
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your encouraging point of view.
Everyday, we are investing on our staff, because we believe that they are the key of the management`s success.
Also, thanks to our guests suggestions, we are now improving the rooms` fittings and amenities, to prevent any future complaints and to ensure a faultless forthcoming holiday for our faithful customers.
Please feel free to visit us once again.
Somerset
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

After reading some of the reviews about this hotel we were very apprehensive when we went in mid September. Travelling with daughter (mid 20's) and her 3 year old son, reports of upset tummies, hygene issues etc. worried us. Whilst they may have had problems earlier in the year, there was no evidence of such by the time we got there.

The hotel, pools and the grounds were spotless and were being cleaned almost around the clock. As was the bars, restauraunts and public amentities. The staff were incredibly friendly and polite, nothing was too much trouble.

For families of all ages this is an ideal holiday. There are 10 swimming pools which should suit all ages as well as slides, rides etc. We had plenty of room when we were there, although things might be different in the height of the season.

Food was very good, varied and plenty of it. It was the first time that we have gone all inclusive and would recomend it for anyone with kids as ice creams, drinks etc can get expensive.

Rooms could be considered a little bit tired, but good value all round.

This hotel is putting in an incredible amount of effort to succeed - I hope it does.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
waleed E, Manager at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear valuable guest,
We would like to thank you for your kind review.
We are very glad to know that our customers has enjoyed their stay with us, because our main objective is to gain more satisfied guests, so as to come and visit us once again next season.
We are looking forward to welcome you to our beautiful club.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week in September with my husband and two year old son. The weather was gorgeous, the hotel staff extremely friendly, the food was excellent and quite varied and I would definitely recommend this hotel for a relaxing week away. The only downside was that the cots this hotel provides are too small for two year olds - they're more like cribs for babies, so I should have taken a travel cot. Also, the swimming pools aren't heated so out of season it's quite cold to swim. It was a great value for money hotel though and I would stay there again.

scarborough, n. yorks
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

three of us stayed in september for two weeks, we had a lovley time, although it was 20 min from anywhere, but free shuttle made up for that, the hotel was spotless, never stopped cleaning, food was ok, plenty of choice, rooms were spacious and clean, staff were friendly, although we didnt us the slides much, there was plenty of them to choose from could give hours of fun.
dont know why bad reviews have been given, there was nothing to complain about.
the only one thing i will say some of the photos advertised were not from tha hotel..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
waleed E, Manager at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thank you so much for your kind review.
Thanks to your comments and suggestions on this valuable website, we are knowing everyday about what is the best to do to gain more satisfied guests.
We know that the staff is the most important asset for a successful business, so we provide them continuously with a special training on customer`s service and also on hygiene and safety regulations.
We would like you to come back, as well as all our previous guests. The staff and the management are ready to meet you with a smile, as usual.
Kind regards.

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!