“Absolutely brilliant” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #264 of 480 Hotels in Marrakech
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

What a bargain, the staff were great, friendly and helpful. The room was clean, my hairdryer blew up but was replaced imediately. Food was good with great choice. Water park excellent. Word of warningdontbooka tour through the guys in reception. Overpriced and they didn't turn up
Overall a fantastic stay. I would recommend 150% we met some great people and I think the hotel staff were very shocked when we all did the conga from the oriental tent to the reception. Fantastic memories many thanks

• Stayed September 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Having recently returned from a week's stay here, I can honestly say it's the nicest all -inc break I have been on. When we arrived, we were given a room in the dreaded block 4, and although the room was very small, we found it to be very comfortable, and experienced none of the problems some other guests have been complaining about. It was overlooking the mickey mouse pool, and was really quiet in the evenings.

The best points about the hotel include:

The food: Excellent choice each day. I'm vegetarian and I found more than enough to eat. It's true that you don't get your typical English breakfast, and most of the food is catered to local tastes, but if you go abroad, then you should be prepared to try local food and not whinge and moan if you can't get burger and chips.

The swimming pools: There were so many to choose from, with plenty of sunbeds available, which were nice wooden sunbeds, not the cheap and nasty plastic ones you get at most hotels.

The waterpark: It was fab, no queues for slides and I witnessed no accidents.

The drinks: The local wine was a bit ropey, but the cocktail selection more than made up for it, and you are served in glasses, not in plastic cups (unless you are taking your drink to the pool areas)

Staff: Couldn't have been more helpful and friendly.

Cleanliness: Couldn't fault it, there was always someone running around with a mop and bucket, tirelessly cleaning the reception area, bars and pool areas.

I honesty cannot understand any of the negative comments on here. I can only assume that they have been written by people who get a kick out of complaining and scare mongering, as they are certainly not justified. For anyone that has said this hotel is not 5 star, a star rating is based on the facilities on offer, not on the quality of the hotel, and with the facilities here, it is easily a 5 star hotel.

All in all, this was a great holiday, which was made even better by the excellent price we paid and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: I think block 3 had the nicest rooms, but block 4 is very quiet, but rooms are smaller.
Surrey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Just arrived back last week..On arrival very quick to check in but we arrived with one other couple so no ques of people, we were taken to our room which was very small in the 4000 block so avoid these if you can, shower didnt work, hair dryer didnt work, had to move room halfway through holiday due to shower not working, shown to another room near reception in the 4000 block even smaller that the first, but we got a very cheap deal, so cant moan too much. Management none existant, very badly managed, def not a 5 star more like a 3 star, with better management could be alot better....
Now for the positives..The staff were amazing, apart from one morning egg chef, he was rude and unhelpfull. The other staff were fab and very helpful, the food was ok and lots of choice, always fresh, pools were good especially the micky mouse pool, where the animation team worked from..Sara and Assam were fab they tried to make everyone feel welcome and worked so hard to get everyone involved, Management should feel thereselves lucky to have such devoted staff as these two. On the whole we had a fab holiday at a great price..Definately try for the 2000 or 1000 room blocks, then your holiday will certainly be better, as they are larger and the fittings are better.

Management should be more visiable and not hide from the guests, especially the night manager, he was rude and unhelpfull...the hotel and staff can only be as good as the management..get a grip on it Managers make your selves known and do your jobs.

Dont be put off from going to this hotel as hopefully it can only get better with time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room from the 1000 or 2000 blocks as rooms are larger and fitted out better
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
waleed E, Manager at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for your review.
We want to inform you that the managers are always here to listen to the guests complaints and to satisfy any request, you just have to ask for them at the reception.
Besides, the staff is meticulously slected and highly trained to serve our guests professionnally.
We are, indeed, getting better and better thanks to your suggestions.
best regards,
Bath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

10 Chaps in thier 40's ish!! on a golf tour. We have just returned from a weeks stay, we found the hotel ideal for what we wanted, good facilities, good food with plenty of variation. Most of the staff were very friendly & accomodating.
The location is quite remote it's a long way from the town and all the golf courses.
However the aqua park is great 10 old blokes running around all exited like kids pointing & screaming, great fun. The rooms were all clean & tidy also.
Just watch the drinks after midnight as they are chargable & expensive.
All in all a good time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.
Our mission is to make all our guests happy and to enjoy their activities day and night.
Even if the hotel is a little bit far from the city ( only 30 minutes drive) our guests are never bored. Thanks to our animation program, entertainment is varied everyday , for the kids and for the adults aswell.
We are looking forward to welcome you once again to our sunny resort, and to enjoy fully your golf tour.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Went for honeymoon to Marrakech for part of our honeymoon- decided to impress new wife by booking the Junior suite, emailed the hotel few times to confirm the booking which was confirmed. below is slight edited letter I have sent to the Hotel AND I AM STILL AWAITIN A REPLY for several months. THE MANAGER PROMISED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH ME, HAVING SENT SEVERAL EMAILS NO REPLY, EVEN THOUGH HE HIMSELF HAS POSTED ON TRIPADVISOR NOT TOO LONG AGO:

I am writing with regards to my disastrous stay with yourself at Aqua fun Club a few weeks back and was appalled by the service I received especially being a supposedly 5 star hotel- my stay with yourself was a complete shambles... a disgrace!

I arrived at Aqua Fun club on Friday 8th of July 2011. I had purposefully paid for and booked a Junior Suite at the hotel as it was our honeymoon which I had booked through Hotels4u.com.

Being our honeymoon I did email yourselves a few weeks before our stay to confirm this booking and I did receive an email back from Ichrak.

On arriving at the hotel at 12pm on Friday 8th July I checked in by informing the front-desk of our booking – with hotels4u.com for the Junior Suite, where they saw the above paperwork from hotels4u.com. We were advised no problems and room would be ready at 3pm. We patiently waited till 3.15pm to check in, to my astonishment we were NOT given our Junior Suite- I was very disappointed and upset as this was meant to be a relaxing holiday and part of the surprise for my newlywed wife on our 3 week honeymoon. I went to see a so called “manager” who informed me that our room was taken by a ‘sick’ patient!??? And that it would be ready tomorrow. I was perplexed by this response, why would a ‘sick’ person be on holiday at a water park hotel?, but communication was a big issue where he did not understand my point (nor did the three others at the desk) some of whom seemed amused at me asking for a Junior suite. I was told by the “manager” that we would receive our room the next day. I knew I could do nothing at this point, and my poor Arabic, and his poor English meant I asked to speak to someone- I was advised there was a hotels4u.com staff member who I could see the next day.

Reluctantly we settled in our room NOT the Junior suite which I paid for. Both I and my wife wanted to bathe as we had waited for a few hours and had a long morning coming from Marrakech centre and wanted to freshen up. There was NO HOT WATER. I rang the front desk who told me it would be sorted in about hour when the engineer came. Being about 5pm by then we thought we would make the most of the resort and went out exploring. We returned back at 7pm to shower before dinner, but behold there was NO HOT WATER, again I rang the front desk and was told someone would be there in 15minutes. We waited half an hour and I rang again- this time I was promised the engineer would be there by 8.15pm. By 9pm no one had arrived so I rang the front desk, and asked what was happening- they duly apologised and said it would be sorted by 10 o clock.

You have to realise it was hot and muggy, and the experience with not getting our suite did not help and the least we expected was for the hot water to work. I then physically went to the front desk and was PROMISED AGAIN that by 10pm the hot water would definitely be working.

Being tired and hungry I and my wife went to dinner. We got back to our room just after 10.30pm – being a long day we both needed a shower – again same story NO HOT WATER. I was fuming by then, especially as I was told at least 5 times that the hot water would be sorted. I kicked up a fuss and was told there were no other rooms available with hot water (i.e. the hotel was full capacity). The lady at the desk PROMISED me that the engineer would come and rang the engineer in front of me- she again promised me he would be there in 15 minutes. I was absolutely fuming as these people were taking me for a ride- especially with their false promises- which I took as pure and utter lies!

Waiting 30 minutes for the engineer he did not show- by then it was 11.30pm- and I went to the desk again (bear in mind if there was a cliff nearby – I would have jumped at this point- at the utter audacity of the staff taking me for a fool). The night manager was called at this point and he too promised me that the service engineer would come. Hallelujah- 15minutes later not one but two engineers turned up to the room, almost midnight, one of them turned the tap on and said ‘it is not working!!!!!’ on which I almost banged by head against the wall through sheer frustration. After turning on the tap – which I was reliably informed didn’t work by the engineers- they said that a few of the room’s hot water had not been connected yet - and this was common knowledge and known by staff- I was gobsmacked!!! I was told lies by the front desk umpteenth times, given false promises and lied to time and time again.

I had given up by now on this brand spanking new 5 star hotel- and we both went to sleep- I did not have the energy to go and speak to the front desk at this point- as I was close to breaking point.

Saturday came and by early afternoon we moved into our junior suite WITH HOT WATER and finally got to bathe a day and a half later. We enjoyed the water park that day (...safety issues with the rides is a different story- people are going to break bones on some of the slides, people falling into water holes, tiling is abysmal- I got stabbed in the foot by a piece sticking out, and the slipperiness for the elderly is a disaster waiting to happen- NOTE hotels4u.com- I’m sure you’ll hear about this in the next few months from your other customers no doubt).

Later on we had our evening meal (at the hotel) around 8.30pm, by mid night I started sweating by gut was wrenching and I threw up. 20 minutes later same thing happened to my wife. We both spent the next three to four hours vomiting, with me getting stomach pains and night sweats and her getting stomach pains, headaches and muscle pain. Unfortunately I had blocked up one of the sinks by 4am. I got up in the morning and rang them at the front desk to let them know what had happened and if someone could clean the bathroom- and kindly if someone could bring some juice to our room, which they did.

We slept most of the day still with our aches and pains- and finally awoke late afternoon- when I rang the front desk to ask if a few more drinks could be bought to our room, as we were not going to be able to eat and weren’t that well. The lady at the front desk said they would be bought up in 10minutes. We waited half an hour and I rang back, I was told again someone would be there in next ten minutes. Waited for another 10 minutes and rang as we were thirsty and weak, a different lady answered and I told her the situation, but she advised me clearly there was no room service! I was horrified by this response especially as they knew we both were not well. Fuming I made my way, weak, to the front desk, and gave the lady abit of an earful, especially as the morning staff were kind enough to bring the drinks earlier that day- without any fuss. I was so livid I asked to see the manager- and not the Mickey mouse ones hanging around at the front desk... duly I got to see- the owner, Walid- the Egyptian, I went crazy at how we had been treated about our booking, then the lies about the hot water, then the food poisoning. He was very sympathetic (except he tried to pass it off as traveller’s diarrhoea- which was unusual as we were in Marrakech for almost a week- and being a student doctor –I am well aware of food poisoning- and that we had vomiting mostly).

the manager did apologise and did kindly send fruit and drinks to our room, and told me that he would get the HOTEL doctor to come and see us for free, I initially refused and went back to the room. My wife wanted to see the doctor – to get some medication to control our symptoms- and he came and advised of our gastroenteritis- and gave both me and her- paracetamol and a one week course of antibiotics- to which he CHARGED US 190 POUNDS (1000DIRHAMS) - I told the doctor it should be free- as Waleed had said, he told me he was an external doctor and said I could claim it back on my travel insurance without any problems. the doctor spent five minutes with us and gives us a bill for around £190- which I felt uncomfortable not paying- I rang down reception later and told them, the language barrier was a BIG problem, and I could not express myself any better unless I took some hard core lessons in Arabic or French (even though the hotel is largely aimed at English guests- words of Walid not mine!... ) eventually they said I could see you Waleed the next day, but this didn’t happen and we had to fly back to England by the afternoon. I got the email address of Bouchra for this specific issue and at this point- she said things will be sorted- however like most of them at Aqua Fun Club NO REPLY.

Being ill and not having the energy NOW to speak to the front desk, almost losing the will to live I decided I would talk to the hotels4u.com representative. Also can you justify the charge for 1000dirhams for the doctor for five minutes!!!

The next day I got to see the hotels4u.com person, I told him about our experiences he was very UNsympathetic and said the situation at the hotel was nothing to do with him- and I had to take it up with the hotel!!!!

We had to leave soon after as check out was 12pm to catch our flight back to the UK.

So to summarise I booked a three night suite et the aqua fun club, I spent the first hour asking for our room- was told a sob story about an ill person having our room- I spent the rest of the day chasing round to get some hot water- was lied to by several members of staff several times- we experienced food poisoning at the hotel – and were charged almost 200pound (1000dirhams) for this privileged which I can’t claim back from my travel insurance (which was more expensive then the flights to and back to morocco. I was told that being ill by a member of staff- that no one could bring us up a few drinks- rudely.

I felt appalled by our experience and I feel ripped off by my stay at this hotel- it was a nightmare, I paid from our savings for a junior suite. I paid for a room which I did not receive for almost half our stay, got food poising, and got ripped off on seeing the doctor by 200 pounds (1000dirhams).

I totally understand that communication is an issue, but a hotel with more than half its customers being English (as told by Walid) catering for the tourist market needs to at least have one employee that can understand and speak English AND ALSO NOT GIVE FALSE PROMISES AND LIES!

Finally OUR HONEYMMON which was going well since then was ruined and we have bad memories of this. You may ask why the late email, I have just got back from Maldives and Dubai- where we received proper 5 star service from real 5 star hotels!!!! With no problems experienced at all!

Room Tip: ask if hot water isworking before moving bags into room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Again mixed reviews before we went so we were apprehensive . Just back this week.
On arrival reception was not very organized. We were taken to our room which was small. The shower/toilet was even smaller. But clean. Clean towels every day. Staff were very friendly any faults with the room were sorted quickly.
The entertainment was poor the animation team tried very hard and were very friendly.
Food was great fresh every day and plenty of choice .All in all we got this holiday for a song from Broadway travel like most people.
The transfers on way back were left a little tight fro time I felt.
However we had a good time we love Marrakesh and meet some lovely people.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
waleed E, Manager at Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thank you very much for giving your opinion about the hotel.
We know that, with the flight's distance and the queues at the airports, the guests feel tired, so we give orders to the reception to give them the rooms quickly, so they would have rest, in order to enjoy the day ahead, with all the facilities we provide them.
If there is any problem with the room, we fix it as fast as possible. Otherwise, we move the guests to another room, if the problem needs time to get sorted out.
Regarding entertainment, the guests will no longer need to leave the hotel, as we are organizing for them various animation programs throughout the day, with a special touch for children.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We want every guest to be happy and comes to visit us once again.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

Ok the highlights:

Good:

1. The animation team were excellent and very welcoming
2. The food was ok (although I suffered from an upset stomach throughout the trip)
3. The staff were generally cool and in some cases excellent
4. The flume park was excellent with a good selection of rides
5. The whole place was impeccably clean
6. Good selection of pools and never a lack of sunbeds
7. The film selection on the TV was actually very good
8. The Afresadesa bar does sell good paninis and chips (if not a little manic as they dont have a serving system!)

Bad

1. The rooms are pretty basic
2. Hot water was very unpredictable (late at night non-existent)
3. Late night entertaining was entertaining (in a bad way - they massacred a number of Beatles tunes)
4. There isnt a cash machine in the whole hotel - I would recommend getting a load before you get there
5. The 'free internet' was just one computer that was very slow and generally unavailable due to young Moroccans childen hogging!
6. The 'all inclusive' bar closes at 12 :(

Please be aware (and Im sure this is a common theme) they put you into the worst room for the first night and see if you request to move (we did as they pushed 2 beds together to make a double) We were moved the next day but as a welcome this isn't the greatest!

However despite the hiccups I completely understand that the hotel is in transition and things are being done everyday to improve this.

What I dont understand is the 5 star rating. If it was 3 star my expectations would have been met!

Room Tip: Make sure you do not get a room in block 4 (its to the left of the main entrance as you come in)
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
We would like to thank you for your review,
We are doing our best to better rooms' fittings to make the guests more comfortable, especially the hot water problem, which is sorted out these last days.
A cash machine has been installed lately due to many guests requests.
For your information, guests are equals for us, so the rooms' assignment is subject to availablity upon check-in. Some rooms' requests are allowed only for some special occasions.
We are ready to welcome you once again for your next holidays to our sunny resort.