“Ignore the complainers!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #263 of 461 hotels in Marrakech
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
“Ignore the complainers!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

My partner and I stayed at the aqua fun club from 18th july for 10 days.... and what a fab time we had! The staff are vary helpful, even though their english is a little patchy. We had a few hick ups in the first room we had, the hairdryer caught fire ( yes, actual flames but made us laugh like mad) and the fridge didn't work but these were fixed within hours of advising the reception staff.
As my partner used this holiday to propose to me, he had a chat with the manager who upgraded our room for us to a junior suite free of charge... it was lush!! huge room with jacuzzi bath. They even offered to arrange a candle lit dinner by the pool for us.

The food at the hotel is amazing. Loads of choice for everyone... even the whingers who would only eat pizza and chips!!! The moroccan food was the best. They never ran out of food or let the dishes go empty. We filled our faces and never had any tummy troubles. I think a lot of people who are blaming the food for stomache upsets never stop to consider it could be other things like the heat, ice in their drinks, them not washing their own hands.... take your pick!!!

The staff were very helpful and the bar staff are great. The odd little bit of tipping goes a long way and gets you special treatment as they really appreciate it. A lot of guests spoke to the staff like dirt which i found so rude and have the attitude of "its all inclusive so why should i tip anyone!" There were a lot of people there who were looking for things to complain about and spent their holiday whinging about the smalllest things. They need to remember they are in africa and things are different over there. If i heard the phrase "this isn't a 5 star resort" one more time, i would have screamed!! LOOK AT WHAT YOU PAID!!! If you want a flawless 5 star holiday book with Sandals and pay 2 grand per person. Don't pay £300 for a week all inclusive and think its gonna be on the same level.

If you have booked this hotel, go and have a great time! We loved it and i think its only going to get better and better as time goes on. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Hotel rooms in the main building are the best
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

1,192 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Stayed at Aqua Park from 26th July to 9th August and had a blast. On arrival we were put in Room 4214 which we had noticed from the earlier reviews to avoid block 4 but our room was extremely clean and the supersize bed would have easily fitted four adults, Our bed was changed every day and we had clean towels every day. Our housemaid was a diamond, really looked after me especially as one day I had a mild bout of the trots and was totally exhausted from the heat. She came back again in the afternoon and changed the bed and left extra water and I was as right as rain the next day. There are no facilities to make tea and coffee in room but I had read this and taken my own kettle and supplies - very useful for those early morning starts to get a sunbed!!
The food was amazing - fresh fruit in abundance, freshly prepared omelettes, crepes, pizzas, pasta. The Asian food was too good and had to stop myself overeating. The wine was good, my husband loved the beer and yes they are a bit generous with the measures.
The animation team was fantastic - we took Arabic lessons from Simon - these really helped during our trips into town. Hassan was lively and the aqua gym was really fun. Water polo and volleyball in the afternoons got people playing together. They all have reasonable good English and were a fountain of knowledge if you needed to know anything. The Morroccon night in the Oriental tent was very enjoyable too.
Being 50+ we did not go to the aqua park at all so cannot comment on it but the swimming pool down at the Mickey Mouse club was our home for two weeks and we loved it. Used the quiet pool to do some proper swimming and both were cleaned day and night. We watched them from our balcony doing the cleaning.
Both Sundays we were there we witnessed a sandstorm the first being a little terrifying as had never experienced anything like it. The staff had days of work to do after it for two minutes of storm and they worked through the night cleaning the place up.
We found that all the staff were very helpful and fun and if you had a problem they were keen to sort this out. However witnessing the way some of the guests spoke to the staff as if they were second class citizens was at times disturbing. Many forget the words please and thank you. The oddest thing I witnessed was a parent complaining on more than one day about the fact her daughter was allergic to the sun!!! Why do to Africa?
All in all for the money we paid for two weeks this was a superb holiday and have really very little to grumble about except I could have stayed longer - normally I am itching to get home after about 10-12 days.

Room Tip: If you have a problem with your room - tell them.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Falkirk, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

It has taken me until this evening to face writing a review about this holiday I was so disapointed and upset I couldn't face writing about it!!
I arrived at the hotel on 19th July for a week with my boyfriend, daughter 9 and son 6. We knew that the hotel was having teething problems but were assured on the FB page that things were imporving and to go with an open mind - and this is what we did.
We arrived at the hotel by private transfer at about 8.15pm therefore was checked in before the bus transfer arrived. We were told to wait and the bell boy will take us to our room. We waited and waited no bell boy . . . the bus transfer arrived then he turned up and to our suprise started taking their bags off them as they entered through the hotel door??? after prompting him and reception staff every ten minutes we were eventually taken to our room. We arrived at our room at 10.25pm we noticed they'd given us two single beds and a camper bed, live sockets were also hanging out the walls! but we were so hungry we decided to get something to eat before going back to reception to explain the room was unsuitable.
Our first meal was awful - There was hardly any food left and it was freezing cold! so we settled for buttered rolls and a drink of "flat" cola
When reporting our room was not suitable, the manager told us "sorry that is all we have" even although we paid for a family room and comfirmed we had one allocated to us the day before - we were told "come back tomorrow at 6pm and I give you a luxuary suite - I am here to make you and your family have a fantastic holiday" it was really late and we were so tired we decided to take his word for it, so we slept in a single bed that night with one pillow!! (even although we requested an additional pillow!!)
The following morning we decided to wipe the slate clean and start with a good attitude. We tried to contact the holiday Rep to inform him of our troubles but were told that he was on holday for a week! so we decided to go to the Aqua Fun Park. Our first impressions of the park were that it was colourful and really quite dirty. The lazy river resembled a pond and other pools looked green (not crystal blue like website photos! ) we decided to stay by the pink castle area, this pool looked the best, although the sun beds were old and uncomfortable but the kids had a great time on the slides.
Unfortunately the management let us down when we returned at 6pm - still no room large enough for us - we asked to speak to the "top" manager as they all seemed to call themselves managers but didn't seem to do anything!! He told us "no we can't do anything" and were turned away and told to comeback at 12pm tomorrow! So another night in a dangerous room with two adults sharing a single bed with yet again with 1 pillow!!! - shocking!! What was so frustrating for us that evening was after speaking to a few couples and a single man, they had been given luxuary suites and family rooms but did not need them? they informed us that because they didn't "like"their first room they were just given a huge room!! We returned again the follwoing day at 12 as arranged but were told, again, to come back in an hour but after 2 nights of bad sleep we decided to dig our heels in and stay at reception until we were moved to a different room!!! Eventually at 4.30 that day we were moved! a whole day of our holiday ruined just to be put into a room we had booked and paid for!! The room we were given this time was unfinished, wasn't painted, had a huge patch of damp on the wall, patio door did not lock (& we were on the ground floor) the toilet leaked, wardrobe door fell off when we opened it! but we decided we had waited long enough to actually get beds to sleep in, we'd stick with this room!!
Again we tried to put it all behind us and start a fresh! That evening we had dinner, I had a piece of raw chicken and from then on we just ate the pizza and pasta (even although I am not a fan of this type of food) I just couldn't trust their cooking after seeing and hearing from fellow guests there how sick they'd been!
That evening I asked for a latte at 11.10pm I was told by the bar man to go somewhere else to get one as he had run out of milk! Now surely if you've run out of a major ingredient you'd make sure you got more - not turn the customer away! I went to the reception bar and the queue was really long and people were stocking up on alcoholic drinks and they were so .. . slow by the time I got served it was passed 12am I was made to pay for two Lattes - 5 euros!! ( the 45 minute wait in the queue of hearing people moan about their problems with the hotel put you in such a negative mood)

I've went on long enough so I'll just list the rest -

Facilities:
The football pitch was a quagmire
The mini golf had one club for the whole complex but no golf balls.
Flood Lighting was never put on the Tennis Courts despite repeat requests.
Children’s Playground damaged swings broken
Cast iron rings extremely heavy and not fixed properly (witnessed one fall down and just miss hitting a toddler!! so lucky for her!!)
Open manhole covers beside play area and all round the complex.
Garden furniture i.e. the animals are not fixed to ground and are a topple hazard.

Restaurants
Filthy glasses
No table service for drinks or food
Food trays not being replaced in good time
Chicken was served pink / raw
Lack of appropriate serving utensils which lead to cross contamination of foods
No power on one day from 6am to 11am so no hot food available, food left out would not have been refrigerated during this time
Flooring extremely slippery. I slipped several times but luckily did not come off as badly as others
No fresh juice available, juice available was diluting juice i.e. water with flavor sachets added.

Bar
Hot drinks served in cold drink glasses (too hot to carry or hold to drink!!)
Glasses smeared and dirty
Constant shortage in appropriate glassware and cups
Staff not trained in basic bar skills

Pool room
All cues were damaged at the time of our visit. Of the 5 pool tables only 3 had the complete set of balls.
Padded seating areas damaged with exposed tacks.
General Public able to access the pool room and attached bar which led to queues for both
Restrooms had bare plaster walls and the toilets leaked from the bases
Rugs on floor had curled up at the edges so were a trip hazard

Pools
No indoor pool as advertised
Middle pool closed for two days as had turned pea green, though after a large dumping of chemicals it was open the next day. It was never emptied or cleaned.
Water levels on all three pools too low to reach the filters
I did not witness the pumps in the pools turned on
Staff constantly washing the tiles around the pools with rags also used to clean the walkways which were constantly muddy as there were many workmen/gardeners working in the area.
Constant watering of the grounds with reclaimed water lead to pools of stagnant water
Vonstant overpowering stench of sewage throughout the grounds
Noise levels from the music in the water park extremely disruptive
Towels recycled i.e. used towels handed back in to be cleaned, handed back out to new to guests arriving at the hotels pools.

Aqua Park
No Wave pools as advertised
Lazy River - stagnant with green slime
People getting stuck on the flumes, having to be rescued by a man on a ladder from 15ft in the air. Several flumes do not have the angles correct for an appropriate descent to be made hence why people were stuck and were able to stand up.
Splash pools from slides not long enough so that people would hit the walls or in the case of coming down in inner tubes come completely out of pools and land on the tiles.
The joint sections of the flumes had been badly fixed so that the seams were rough and would abrade skin.
Staff mentioned that the water in the Park was not treated.
Tiles and edging of pools badly finished with sharp edges.
Garden work with excessive watering running into the pools.

As the hotel rep was on holiday and our name wasn't on the transfer list we called our emergency number from our travel company, our shuttle was arranged for 5pm - but did not turn up therefore we had to pay for a taxi to the airport! we were just so glad to be going home we didn't care!!
Whilst waiting on our taxi back to the airport one of the hotel managers approached us with a member of the reception staff, they asked for a copy of our holiday as they had lost the copy we had given them on our arrival. Unfortunately for them we were so fed up with the place and the answer was "NO" as this is what we were told when we asked them for a room change!! I presume they needed the voucher to claim the holiday of the travel agent we used.
Our flight home was terrible, 3 people on the flight was extreamely unwell with D&V, the aeroplane actually ran out of sick bags!! On arrival the plane was met by paramedics, the BAA Manager aboarded the flight and asked us to fill out forms asking details of where we stayed if we were ill during our stay and our contacts details. The three people who were ill were at Aqua fun Club!
I could go on and on giving examples of incidents which occured throughout my stay but I've gone on for long enough I just sum up!
Overall I could see that the hotel "could" be a lovely holiday if all the above was fixed and the staff were trained and each holiday maker recieved that acomadation they booked!! As I have always said, its a lottery when you decide to have a holiday here - you might hit the jackpot, get a beautiful room and recieve excellent service and not become ill or on the other hand you might not and recieve my experience its really up to you if you want to take the chance, I did and I LOST!!

I will leave on a positive note, the entertainment team were lovely to us, my son loved Sara (although she was off sick for 2 days!) and we had a great laugh on the Morocan night. Would I go back to this hotel? - not in a million years!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

when we booked this holiday we weren't expecting much, as it was newly built, but when we got there, we were pleasantly surprised. The food is excellent, meat is very good, and if your worried about the water, there is unlimited bottles for free in cooled fridges. Waterpark is very good, apart from one slide which is a bit dangerous but is being sorted out. Also it is one of the cleanest hotels I've ever been too. The rooms are brilliant, just if you do go don't stay in a room beginning with 4, as they are the old rooms and aren't done up, but every other room is so spacious, tidy and modern. The workers are very friendly, and are always ready to help. Is good for teenagers as lots went. Entertainment in the evening was fairly good, but on our last few days it got brilliant and wished we could see more. Definitely recommend for families and couples! will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

As a large group of 13 from UK&America, ranging from 2-42 years of age, we all thoroughly enjoyed our 1 week stay. Accomodation, Service, Entertainment for both kids & adults, Food and General Atmosphere were all exceptional & of a high standard. We would definately return back to the hotel, there was plenty to do via excursions and the hotel itself and its facilities enabled us to have a relaxing whilst enjoyable stay. Free access to the water park definately topped the holiday off and Moroccans were all v.friendly! As a 5* hotel and as we expected, the bad reviews had been corrected and there were no problems when we arrived on the 31st July. D&V for 24hrs is common in a lot of foreign countries, so blaming the hotel as the primary cause is silly!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

I have never felt the need to write a review but on this occasion, I have no choice. I really do not know where to begin as this holiday was a nightmare which is still continuing now back in the UK. I was hospitalised on 30/7/11. We arrived back 28/7/11 late. The whole family of four have been really ill and it was could not be the food as 2 of us never ate anything but bread because the food looked disgusting. I have not suffered pain like this before. SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE....!!!!!!!!
BROADWAY TRAVEL informed me today that they are still sending holidaymakers to this hotel as they have no knowledge of any problems!
I know it was a bargain but it still costs money and boy are we paying for it now. This is not right and I WARN other travellers - for your own sake - Please Cancel any bookings you have made with this Hotel. It is only a matter of time before a fatality occurs. We are the lucky ones. Read on if you dare and check my photos:-
Bedroom 1- No running water (at least once a day). Cockroaches coming out of air con, faulty electrics one guest had an electric shock 3 times Room telephone did not work for 4 days. Air conditioning did not work until repaired on day three. Dangerous cracked mirror and lights not working very occasionally.
Bedroom 2- Ants nest in bathroom of second bedroom, Bathroom too small – had to step into shower to close door to be able to use toilet. No running water (at least once a day). Shower curtain too short. Toilet kept blocking.
Food was mostly inedible and the same every-day. Advertised as having 3 restaurants when in fact it had one Self Service restaurant which was split into 3. Food left un-covered for hours. One 4 slot toaster for 500 guests at breakfast. Chef did not know how to make a fried egg and only had a folk to turn the egg, dirty tables (had to find a waitress to clean table before using) Snack bar, drinks in aqua park, bottled water and ice cream were all extra money and not part of All Inclusive. Panini bar (opened only for 1 hour/day) covered in wasps and flies and had only one member of staff and a queue of on average 20 guests. No Fresh Bananas available (apparently not popular in Morocco according to the staff) All bars constantly running out of glasses, beer and soft drinks and not replenishing stock until complaining to Guest Relations Manager.
The Hotel was not clean; the restaurant – tables not cleaned after use unless asked; Panini Bar counter was sticky and thus attracted a larger than normal amount of wasps and flies; glasses not washed properly – barman using dirty used glasses. Cocktail jugs not washed after use. Spills not cleaned up on walkway/sun lounger areas, Ashtrays not emptied. Constant watering and digging up of grounds which caused a disgusting stench of sewerage. Dirty cloths used for everything from cleaning the floor to wiping glasses clean. Not to mention the water supply being constantly cut throughout the Hotel – lack of hand washing/food cleaning
The three main adult pools could not be used when we arrived, one was completely green with algae; one was cloudy and the last one was cloudy and slimy. I complained to the Manager constantly and was told it would be fixed in 1 hour. After 4 days of men throwing buckets of chlorine into the main pool, we were able to swim in this pool. However the pumps in the 3 main pools where only used for about 15 minutes a day and the staff only treated the pool with chemicals after I complained to them and I was told by the Rep that he “could not see the problem as if I could swim in a lake this would be no different” I did point out to him that I did not swim in lakes and that I would not let my dog swim in these pools. The Aqua Park was constantly closed for repair work or due to lack of water; the slides/flumes looked dangerous and I witnessed a few children with cut legs and cut feet from the slides. The lazy river – the water was so green with cockroaches floating on the top that if anyone fell into the water they would not be seen and would definitely be ill.
EXTREMELY unsafe for guests. no health and safety Part of the place is a construction site. The Aqua Park - men using heavy machinery/welding , worker with electric tools while park open. (under the flumes). Railings are lose, Wires hanging out of walls everywhere. The staff are constantly, chucking water down on the floors, making it very slippy. No wet floor signs. Numerous Manhole covers left open even after dark. Poles sticking out of manholes. Deep holes dug by workmen during the day left un-marked after dark (fortunately the smell was so bad no-one fell down). After constantly complaining about the main adult pool (green/algae) workmen started to throw buckets of raw Chlorine into the pool at random. The hotel appointed a lifeguard to stop people using this pool but he only worked from 10:30am to 6pm. At all other times children were still using this pool. I spoke to the Hotel Manager and the Rep about this and they said they would arrange to put up a sign – This did not happen. This continued for 4 days until the pool was cleaned.
The rep suggested “we stick it out and complain when we returned to the UK”. The Rep accepted that the resort knows it has a major contamination issue that they cannot give reason to and he told me that tests have been done and that a report has been sent to the UK (23/7/11) However as of today’s date 1/8/11, Broadway Travel are still sending holidaymakers to this hotel Please note this is the same rep that told me to swim in the green stagnant pool as “it was just like a lake!”
The Hotel staff were rude, arrogant and unresponsive to any complaints and mostly said “they could not understand English” which is strange as most of the Senior Management I spoke to are Egyptian and have a very good grasp of English. Every complaint was written down (day after day) and nothing was followed up. My main serious complaint about the Hotel staff is the lack of response I have had to the email which was written after telephoning the hotel 4 times on 29/7/11. I also copied this email to Pickalbatros Head Office in Egypt. NO REPLY! The email was about the theft of my possessions.
We arranged and paid for the transfer from the hotel to the airport through the Hotel Concierge/Hotel 4 U Rep located near the front door in the lobby. When the taxi arrived at two men (one being the driver) started to put our luggage inside the car (a Mitsubishi Pajero) and asked that my two sons sit in the trunk of the car. I insisted that my sons sat inside the car and the luggage was moved to the trunk of the car. After the two men moved the luggage around a few times for about 10 minutes. The driver’s friend sat in the trunk with the luggage and we drove to the airport. I asked the concierge/Rep why we had to take the drivers friend with us and he replied that it was a very busy time and was necessary. The drive to the airport was very frightening with the driver speaking on his telephone whilst driving dangerously. On arrival at the airport the two men demanded that we gave them our Hotel wrist bands and said that this was because they worked for the hotel. The two men then drove off at speed saying they were in a hurry. I then discovered that my purse containing my cash in Sterling, my credit card, my Ipod, my cigarettes and my spectacles had been taken from my bag by one of the men. Thankfully, they did not take my passport and I was able to return to England. I would have expected this to have happened if I had taken a private taxi from the road but as the Hotel organised the taxi, I would have expected better. Still waiting on a reply and it is now August!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2011

Seems like all the worries about this place are all gone! We went with another family and had booked way back in May before the place opened. We did have our reservations prior to going but once there all was well. Staff are very helpful; we asked to change our rooms as were not suitable and this was done although we ended up waiting 3 hours! All the teething problems seem to have been sorted; there are still some things they need to get right but nothing major. Food was very good and they were willing to accomodate you if you needed anything extra - we had some vegetarians and they were well looked after. Not much entertainement at night; the teenagers made friends so made their own fun. Not nearby anything so would need to think about taxi's etc. Just make sure you have bottle water (provided all day FREE) and it was very HOT so need to protect yourself. We all had a great time and the waterpark was fantastic. We took a day trip to the mountains to see the waterfalls which is recommended.

Room Tip: Check all facilities in your rooms!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pickalbatros Aqua Fun Club? Share your experiences!