“Oasis of calm” 5 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #5 of 507 restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Moroccan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: PEPE NERO Restaurant Marrakech : A place of flavours on motion where the senses are constantly coddled Khalid and his team represent the same soul of a single ingredient: Excellence. This where I devote myself body and soul to my passion: cooking We strive to always be precise in our gestures, attentive to the oven, skilled with knives, a sharpened sense of smell, an eye to the market, intransigent with the quality of ingredients and demanding in the kitchen.The battle I fight every day with my team is the oldest in the world:That between the hand and fire.We created the sort of restaurant we would like to find ourselves..Pepe Nero was born to engage and satisfy our passion : Taste, without any constraints or formalisms, with simplicity.But not only. We believe that there has been a generational change in customers who are rather apprehensive of locations that are over formal.With this new role we want to clear away taboos and bring haute cuisine into step with the times.
Trossachs, United Kingdom
“Oasis of calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

The signs from Jemaa el Fna bring you through twisting alleys to a plain closed door with a nameplate that reads Pepe Nero.

Don't be put off, press the button on the left and someone will let you in.

Tired and hungry after four hours in the souks, we had lunch in the quiet peaceful courtyard; the only sound the water trickling in the fountain.

After our order was taken we were brought an amuse bouche of houmous and two breads - olive and focaccia - which were replenished when our food arrived.

The home made Tomato and Basil Fettuccine and the roast shoulder of lamb were both delicious.
(I was delighted to be able to try the lamb because in most places it is only an option for two people to share)

Worth finding, the food is prepared and presented with finesse.

• Visited February 2014

86% Recommend
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
London
“Undersell and overdeliver - I'd eat here every night if I could”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

It's a little difficult to find, but please persevere - it's worth it! When you do finally find the right door, it's like entering a beautiful oasis. The courtyard restaurant is filled with orange trees, with tables arranged around a small fountain. There are small areas to the side for more private parties.

I went for dinner with friend's to celebrate a birthday and this was a truly special meal. We were warmly greeted and given glasses of a prosecco cocktail while we browsed the Moroccan/Italian menus. After a few days of tagines and cous cous, I opted for Italian - it was divine.

The wines are reasonably priced for the region, and there's something for every price point. The food is so good that I would not have been surprised if they'd charged twice as much as was stated on the menu. Definitely value for money.

I'd booked and explained we were there for a birthday, and they brought out a birthday cake, complete with candles, at the end of the meal.

This place is perfect for special occasions and romantic dinners.

• Visited January 2014
Munich, Germany
“One of Marrakech's Finest!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We selected Pepe Nero to indulge ourselves - after too many tajines;-). The menu offers a fine selection of Italian/Maroccan cross-over and a decent (in comparison) wine list. Our service was very friendly and attentive. As it was quite cold on that December night we chose not to sit in the atrium but in the lounge at the side, which was considerably warmer and also more cozy. Reservation one or two days upfront was necessary!

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Malmo, Sweden
“When tired of tagine...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

... Go to Pepe Nero!

Price worthy, delicous italian/morrocan cuisine. Make sure to make reservations ahead, it's a popular place. Easy to find walking from Jemaa el Fna. English speaking staff. I give them My best of recommendations!

Visited December 2013
st ives
“Exceptional food and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I decided to go to Pepe Nero after running the Marrakech Marathon as we felt we deserved a treat, we were not disappointed. The restaurant is easy to find as it is well signposted, our table was in the courtyard which was lit by fairy lights in the orange trees. There are two menu's, morrocan or mediteranean which you can mix and match as you like. We ordered a three course meal and each course was excellent, the food was definitely up to the standard we would have expected for the prices paid and the service was attentive but not overbearing. All in all I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who would like to experience a meal in a traditional riad

• Visited January 2014