“GREAT !” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 581 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Moroccan, Vegetarian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: PEPE NERO Restaurant Marrakech : A place of flavours on motion where the senses are constantly coddled Khalid and his team represent the same soul of a single ingredient: Excellence. This where I devote myself body and soul to my passion: cooking We strive to always be precise in our gestures, attentive to the oven, skilled with knives, a sharpened sense of smell, an eye to the market, intransigent with the quality of ingredients and demanding in the kitchen.The battle I fight every day with my team is the oldest in the world:That between the hand and fire.We created the sort of restaurant we would like to find ourselves..Pepe Nero was born to engage and satisfy our passion : Taste, without any constraints or formalisms, with simplicity.But not only. We believe that there has been a generational change in customers who are rather apprehensive of locations that are over formal.With this new role we want to clear away taboos and bring haute cuisine into step with the times.
Marrakech, Morocco
“GREAT !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Yesterday we try this restaurant recommended by a friend. GREAT! ... Of breathtaking beauty, with attentive service, this restaurant serves food of quality that can be compared with the most reputed restaurants in London. We tried their Moroccan menu, but we will be back to try the Italian also. Last pleasant surprise, the bill ... really convenient. As promised to our friendly waiter I send the present review to thank him once more for his good job.

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
UK
“Nothing Special!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife and I visited Pepe Nero during our recent visit to Marrakech. As intimated in some of the previous reviews, I called and made a reservation the day before to avoid disappointment. No problem there and the reservation was made.

On the day of the dinner, we booked a taxi which took us to the relevant area and when we got out of the taxi, a gentleman working at Pepe Nero showed us to the restaurant (for those who are travelling to Marrakech for the first time, when looking for restaurants, they are not on a clear road, as in England, they are abit more 'inside' and so this sort of escort we received was welcomed). Again, no problem there and excellent service so far.

When I informed the person we were 'passed to' next about out reservation he went and checked and then came back and took us to a our table (the booking was for 2, my wife and I). We had booked the table for 7.45pm and although it was evident that Pepe Nero wasn't very busy at that time, we were given a table in a side room as opposed to near the pool they have in the main room. This was a little disappointing seeing as though there were tables available but we were told that the table that we were showed to was our table.

Onto ordering the food, we were given two menus and were told by the waiter (a young male) that we could mix and match from the two menus (one was an Italian menu and one was a traditional Moroccan menu). My wife is vegetarian and so we asked the waiter what he would recommend. He made some suggestions but we then asked if, for the starter, one of the starters (which consisted of cheese, vegetables and tuna) could be changed by the chef to exclude the tuna....however, we were told by the waiter that this was not possible as we could only order what was on the menu and it had to be exactly how it was on the menu. I asked the waiter if the food was made fresh to which he replied..'of course'. I therefore asked if it was possible for that dish which had the tuna in it to be made but for them to simply not put the Tuna in. He said no. Disappointing. Very disappointing.

We placed the rest of our order (starters and mains only as we wanted to gauge if we have space for dessert later and not commit to it straight away). However, my wife did see something on one of the menus which she liked (it was a dessert which had crème and almonds - having looked at their online menu just now its named as the pastille au lait and so does exist!

The starters and mains came and went and then came the time for the question: To eat dessert or to not eat dessert?

As my wife loves almonds, we thought we would go for it. We asked the waiter for the menus again and this time he gave us different menus (we knew they were different because they didn't have the almond dessert on it)!!! We asked him about the almond dessert and his response was a quite patronising 'I know what desserts we have and we do not have an almond dessert...you must be thinking of this apple/peach dessert' - he then pointed to another dessert. It was at that point that we decided not to have dessert!

We promptly paid and left feeling underwhelmed and actually annoyed. On reflection the waiter appeared to be patronising throughout the service and I guess we just turned a blind eye to it.

Overall, what would Pepe Nero be if it were tiffins in a tiffin carrier?

Top tiffin (i.e. what stood out): Really well decorated and beautiful setting (if you get to sit in the main hall)
Middle tiffin (i.e. what was ok but not amazing): Food (it was ok but nothing that blew our senses away)
Bottom tiffin (i.e. what was awful or could be improved greatly): Attitude of some of the waiters (not all) but it only takes one to spoil the dining experience (as was the case for us).

Berlin, Germany
“Amazing Riad, amazing food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Never stayed here overnight but had an amazing dinner on recommendation from Christophe frome the Riad Andalla in November 2011. We were personally escorted from one to the other Riads and after dinner the owner and chef cook, who was a wonderful host, showed us all through the Riad (it used to be his parents home) - even through the kitchen area!

Try it, you'll absolutely love it!

Visited October 2013
Thoiry, France
“Excellent food in a lovely Riad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Excellent fusion of traditional Moroccan an Italian food. Great service. Good value. Try to get a table in the main courtyard. We could not despite booking ahead 2 days.

Cleveland, Ohio
“Hard to Find”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Positives: This restaurant was such a nice break from having Tajine. It was beautiful and the food was good. This is the type of place we go often, expensive dishes (for Marrakech) with small portions. We expected the prices, but I saw many young couples a bit dismayed. I thought the wine prices were very reasonable.

The biggest negative to this restaurant is finding it. We decided to walk to it the day before our reservation and could not find it without a guide. (We tipped our guide 20 MAD though he ask for much more.) We got a nice brochure from the restaurant but ended up needed a guide the next night too. It if off a couple dark alleys with not activity so even if you are heading in the right direction it feels wrong. Luckily our guides lead us correctly both times. If you are staying out of the Medina and catch a taxi, they can take you quite close.

The bathroom is very dirty. Only one toilet stall for the females with no soap or towels. Try not to use it if possible.

Make reservations