“Lost for words - that was just the fellow diners” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 594 Restaurants in Marrakech
Cuisines: Italian, Moroccan, Mediterranean, Vegetarian, Pasta
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: PEPE NERO Restaurant Marrakech : A place of flavours on motion where the senses are constantly coddled Khalid and his team represent the same soul of a single ingredient: Excellence. This where I devote myself body and soul to my passion: cooking We strive to always be precise in our gestures, attentive to the oven, skilled with knives, a sharpened sense of smell, an eye to the market, intransigent with the quality of ingredients and demanding in the kitchen.The battle I fight every day with my team is the oldest in the world:That between the hand and fire.We created the sort of restaurant we would like to find ourselves..Pepe Nero was born to engage and satisfy our passion : Taste, without any constraints or formalisms, with simplicity.But not only. We believe that there has been a generational change in customers who are rather apprehensive of locations that are over formal.With this new role we want to clear away taboos and bring haute cuisine into step with the times.
“Lost for words - that was just the fellow diners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

My partner went out there with her friends and I thought I'd lay on a meal for them
It was a post 40th celebration and it had to be special
I booked this venue after reading reviews from several restaurants and whilst I wasn't sure at first I was later to be amazed by the service and attention to detail not only in the service but the food and all led by the the manager Chahid with whom I was in constant touch prior to making the arrangements
The flowers cake and food were times to perfection and needless to say my partner cried and ruined her make up - I'm sure the Bacardi played a small part in this ! - but it had the desired effect
The staff were attentive and tr fellow diners were also amazed at the way the table surprises were laid on on the strength of an email
Apparently the waiters wanted to come to London and learn how to love a woman ( I'm not cheap guys - hourly rate £200 !! Lol )
All in all a memorable experience and I strongly recommend this venue to anyone wanting an extra-terrestrial experience to cherish for a lifetime
Well done Chahid

• Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful food in gorgeous surroundings. This place is very easy to find from the main square - just follow the black sign posts.

For Morocco it is quite expensive but an excellent option as a treat night out. The quality of the food was impeccable as was the service.

Visited October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Pretty setting but horrible experience.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

Lost our booking, for a Wednesday. I wonder what a Saturday would be like?
I ate out in Morrocco 8 days, this was my worst experience.
Their Mimosa was a bad Buck's Fizz.
Their chicken amuse-bouche tasted more like chalk than chicken. Neither were really 'free' just built into the price of the meal.
My starter was tasty an aubergine Parmesan with thin sliced tuna but the main... Chewy meat with vegetables that had no flavour and loads of bite - like they had been cut, frozen then thrown into boiling water.
And that's not panna cotta that's crème brûlée. (Sure it's just fancy custard but shouldn't a restaurant know the difference?)
They had fans but didn't turn them on, I saw a guy across from me use his napkin like a face towel.
I have to guess that, with all those good reviews, the A-team that normally run that restaurant were on holidays, because I left their hot, cranky and with a dodgey tum. I didn't complain on the night because I gauged their attitude to customer service from the response to negative reviews received already - arguing that the customer must be wrong rather than consider that one chef in the kitchen could have an off night and have prepared something below par.
All considered I had a much more enjoyable meals for far less in Marrakech.

KhalidRE, Owner at Pepe Nero, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Thank you to have found time to write such a long review. Let me say that I am really sorry to see that a dish that was not appreciated and that did not meet the expectations of your taste has provoked a reaction on your part as full of acrimony to make the same...not receivable!

With my team we work hard to try to provide the best food and the best service and our success is the proof that our work is appreciated by the majority of our guests.
That said, I admit that it can happen that a dish does not meet the taste of a customer, perhaps because of our fault: Nobody is perfect even if perfection is the goal always present in our way of working.
If a customer expresses his dissatisfaction we proceed to replace the dish with another or to do everything possible to make him satisfied... It would have been enough to express to the restaurant manager your disappointment and the problem would have been solved for your satisfaction and our pleasure to have contented one more guest.
All your irony about the Chef, who would have been on holidays, is really misplaced and disrespectful of our work.
As the Great Poet says:
"Do not care for them, just look and go"

KHALID ROBAZZA ESSAFA
( Chef Cordon Bleu et Owner)
PEPE NERO haute Cuisine Restaurant
“Excellent restaurant in Marrakech”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here with some friends, it's not easy to find, as it is in the little backstreets of Marrakech!

We took a tuk tuk taxi from the main square, for 40 dirham and I think that is the best way to get there!

On arrival we where greeted by the helpfull staff and showed us our table.we were given some free Moroccan tapas before the meal and they were absolute lovely!
The main course was also very good and really good for value.
Overall a very good restaurant with a lot of charme in Marrakech!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Very Good Restaurant / Very Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Following a number of evenings eating tagine based meals and on the eve of a 4 day visit to the Atlas Mountains (where we anticipated more tagines!) we decided to try Pepe Nero for something a bit different and we enjoyed an excellent night.

There are two menus, Moroccan and Italian (I guess you could mix and match but we didn't try). We opted for the Italian.

We had booked in advance from our Riad and asked for a table on the internal terrace (which I would recommend, it's beautiful). However, when we arrived we were told that a party of 45 had prebooked the terrace and there were no free tables. We chose a table in one of the side rooms overlooking the terrace and we were pleased with the position however, some of the other rooms looked a bit too quiet and lacking in atmosphere for our taste. The manager was very apologetic and insisted on showing us the email confirming the large booking which had been made some months earlier. Being quite a chilled out couple we accepted his apology and the mix up didn't spoil our evening which was excellent.

I suppose you want to know about the food now........

As mentioned, we ate off the Italian menu; Salmon Cakes and King Prawns to start, Lasagne and Ravioli for mains, a shared apple tart for dessert (which was excellent) and a bottle of house wine. The bill came to 730Dh which, coincidentally, was exactly the same price as our meal at Le Salama the previous evening. Pepe Nero was a nicer occasion, better service and better value.

We dined at 8.45 pm and the service was excellent although (probably because of the big party) I got the impression that later diners were having to wait quite a time for their tables.

Pepe Nero was on my shortlist before I got to Marrakech and the fact that it turned out to be only a couple of minutes walk from our Riad made it a definite. It's about 10 minutes from the main square down a very quiet alley and, like most of the buildings in Marrakech, the outside of the restaurant shows no hint of the beautiful building inside.

Leaving the restaurant quite late, there were a few youngsters wandering around the alleys offering to take us back to the square and "explaining" that one of the streets we wanted to go down was closed but we had our bearings and we knew where we were going. I'm sure if we had been less confident the restaurant would have made arrangements for us. Don't let this put you off, the banter was all good natured and friendly.

We really enjoyed our night at Pepe Nero and would recommend it for the food, the service and the beautiful building.

• Visited September 2013