“Highly Recommended” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Riad Jakoura

You added Riad Jakoura to your Saves list
Riad Jakoura
No 130 Derb Zemmouri Rue Elgza | Bab Doukalla Marrakech, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #550 of 1,135 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Marrakesh
“Highly Recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

A haven of peace and calm at the edge of the medina. The owner is a delight - so helpful, he couldnt do enough for us. Good cool rooms, safe and a great friendly atmosphere. We took an excellent excursion from here and left bags for a couple of days no problem. It felt like a 'home from home, We ll be back here !

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

We didn't get off to the best start, arriving late afternoon, we had just been dropped off by a driver of a cooking course we had been to and was assured his "friend" would show us to our Riad for "free". Obviously, it turned out this was not for free and we refused to pay. We were aware of fake guides etc however, we believed the driver & the "guide" were genuine but we were fooled this time. He took us down many small winding streets making it seem impossible for people to find, if you didn't know the area.
However, in the morning we realised (like the owner said) we were actually very close to the main street and 5 minutes from the bus station so the location was good.

Paying on arrival was not simple, as others have said, the price on the booking website was in euros so he calculated his own price in Dirham and we agreed to pay, this was a few Dirham more than we expected but as this was pence (in our local currency) we just paid it.

For the price, I feel I can't complain too much, however, for a similar price we experienced much better Riads in Morocco. This one wasn't really clean, my friend found hairs that were not hers) in the bed. The bathroom sink and shower were broken. Also it was quite a cold room.

I didn't have a very good nights sleep, someone very close (we were in a room on the ground floor next to the reception) was watching TV very loudly until very late (gone 11.30pm) at night then again from 4-5am (prayer time) onwards.

Breakfast was very basic, just bread and jam.

I have been honest, hopefully not too pedantic, and hope this helps someone make a decision on staying here!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
TianaMed, Propriétaire at Riad Jakoura, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for your review Merissa, i appreciate critisisim and peoples opinions,but i do not like people fabricating the truth to get their opinion across.First let me point out , the taxi driver and the guide you comment on, had nothing to do with the Riad, and were not booked by the Riad for you, Secondly: you also state that your friend found hairs on her bed that did not belong to her, i can assure you our bedding is changed every time a guest leaves..Thirdly: you made comment about someone watching television until late at night, i would like to point out there is no television in this Riad and never has there been one, so if you heard the neighbours tv, then that is also nothing to do with the Riad . Fourthly: your comment on the breakfast only being jam and bread, this is misinformation, as our breakfast consists of : mysimon (which is a Moroccan pastry) 2 jams ( Apricot and Strawberry) Butter ,fresh bread daily,tea and coffee. and you also state the Riad is not clean, well i can assure you, this Riad is cleaned every single day of the week,but if people like you think living in a desert country would be dust free then you are misguided,living in England is not dust free in the home and your not in a desert country. and last but not least: if you are going to complain about the first prayer of the morning (4-45) i would suggest you do not take a holiday in a muslum country in the future, if you cant accept and respect their religion which is their way of life and culture. oh before i go : the rate of payment you talk about , was not my own price calculated at more, it was actually calculated at less than the amount you were suppose to pay. The rate of the euro is : i euro=11.06 Dirham.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was transferred from riad amlal as they were overbooked! Dont know how that happened as I booked it a month ago... i was then transferred a couple of doors away to riad jakoura. i showed the owner how much i had left to pay after the deposit to hostelbookers. he seemed a little hesitant but gave me the keys to my room and showed me around. the room was ok. only issue was the the standing water in the shower which i didnt mention as it didnt bother me much, i have seen worse. (what do you expect for budget hostels?) i was out during the day and only came back around 3pm for a little rest then i would head back out until 9pm. i ate outside so there wouldnt be any extra charges from the riad. everything was fine until it was time to pay up. i showed the owner the printout again of how much i owed. he ignored that and gave me his calculation of how much he thinks i owed. i told him that im not paying that and to go and sort it out with riad amlal. as he wasnt getting anywhere he told me that i had to pay tax. which i have never heard of!... feeling intimidated by that time i just payed up, said bye and walked out!!!!
its a nice place and in the heart of marrakesh and would of recommended it to anyone but the feeling of being intimidated is not a good feeling. so on that basis i wouldnt recommend it!!!
funny thing was that i was going to leave a lot more tip than what i ended up paying at the end!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

My friend and I stayed in a twin room at the Riad for 5 nights and couldn't imagine a better place. The location is nearly perfect, next to a big bus stop where also the airport bus stops, not too far from the main square (about 15 minutes) and the souks (starting only 5 minutes away from the Riad) and yet in a really quiet street. The owner is very friendly and helpful as is the staff. Our room was definitely a good size for 2 people (1 queen size bed and 1 single bed) and would even be suitable for a couple with a small child. The breakfast is basic but it is tasty and filling and the Moroccan pancakes (I think they are called Msemen) are irresistible.

The only negative point is that it wasn't easy to find the first time but nothing inside of the Medina really is. I would recommend booking the airport pick up service or get the help of a local to find your way from the bus stop.

All in all the Riad is great value for money and I wouldn't resist to recommend it to my friends or go back myself if I return to Marrakech.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Zadar, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

In all the hustle and bustle of Marrakech, Riad Jakoura was a little peace of heaven. Situated 3 minutes from the entrance to the souks, and 15-20 minutes from Jemaa el Fna by easy walk.

The owner is VERY kind and helpful. Riad is beautifully decorated and very clean. At the top is cute terrace, in which we would chill in the evening after exhausting shopping day. Breakfast was delicious; crepes, bread, two sorts of jam, butter, coffee, milk and of course mint tea.

If you need anything, taxi, tour, or just an advice, the owner will take care of everything. We felt more than welcomed, thank you Riad Jakoura!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

Location- 15 min walk from square, 2 mins from coach depot, 2 mins from bus stops, shops and dry cleaners near by so excellent

Hotel- clean, towels and toiletries provided, quiet and peaceful

Staff- very polite, owner is very very helpful, he showed us round, directed us watched to ensure we were heading in the right direction when we weren't he followed us on his bike and directed us
The maid was honest and helpful she made us omelettes fresh chapatti and we were served fresh filter coffee and Arabic tea every morning, orange juice and bread and preserve was available too.
I left items in my room and the maid left them for me to one side even though she did not know I would return to collect them. Without me asking she told me I had left my things.
I would recommend this to anyone and definitely stay here again.
:-)

• Stayed October 2013
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Riad Jakoura was my little oasis in Marrakech... it's peace and tranquility is a god send after a Marrakech's mayhem. But what makes this place surpass other places I stayed at in Morocco, was it's kind and helpful manager Mohammed... what an absolute gem of a man. He deserves all the patronage he gets because of his integrity and the service he provides.

The place is a amazing value for money...... A request... from fellow travellers, please stop breaking the holder for the shower head in the single room... my only gripe - and it's not even with the Rhiad.

I did get lost a couple of times trying to get there.... but if you don't get lost in Marrakech... your internal compass must be brilliant. Once you get your bearing it's easy to find... going the long way helps... because there is not shortcut in Marrakech.

Enjoy!!