“Nice riad but only a step in price and not facilities and amenities” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dar Kamar Zamane

Save Saved
You added Dar Kamar Zamane to your Saves list
Dar Kamar Zamane
Lamouassine, Derb Azouz | n ° 11 bis, Marrakech 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #596 of 1,040 Marrakech B&B and Inns
Florence
“Nice riad but only a step in price and not facilities and amenities”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at a few low cost riads, I decided to go a set up in price as for a little more comfort. I expected to pay more for kamar zamane and have more amenities and better facilities, all I got was a little pool and funky design. The Amira room is a decent size but the bathroom was small and the shower didn't drain. The terrace is cute and the staff are friendly but I have stayed at riads of an equal level for half the price. I think that if you are willing to go up one more step in price range that you can find something more comfortable and stylish otherwise you might as well stay around the 50€ mark and save your money. All in all an average experience for a slightly elevated price

• Stayed February 2013

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

This dar/riad is fantastic. The location next to the souks and just north of the main square is ideal. Getting to the front door the first time is pretty difficult without assistance, however, that goes for all riads in Marrakech. After the first time, you will always find it easily. Everything about the riad is solidly very good from the terrace to the decor and the rooms. The staff stands out though as they were very helpful and friendly!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

A wonderful rooftop patio, breezy and cool, great and friendly staff especially Hanane. The breakfast were great always fresh orange juice. In the old Medina in a quiet nook, not far from the Central Square. The rooms were small but I imagine in Marakech everything is at a premium. We had th Red Room and it was dark in a very dramatic way. P.s. Sounds carry down to the courtyard.

Room Tip: All 6 rooms seemed great, there was one on the rooftop, which intrigued me.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Like all of Marrakech, this riad is located within a maze of alleyways. On arrival, I couldn't find this place, but when I telephoned in, Hanane, the receptionist was happy to come out straightaway to find me and took me there. For me, it was she who made this hotel great. She was the only person I saw at the hotel who spoke English and so, was the only person I really conversed with there. I booked my excursions through her and she recommended me places to visit. The other members of staff didn't really try, but then, I didn't particularly push my 'French' with them either.

They serve a great breakfast of pancakes, breads, orange juice and coffee, whenever you wish you have it, all at your own pace.

This is a new business, and although the rooms look smaller than what the pictures show, the hotel is still a luxury set-up, with peace and quiet, although it is only a minute away from the central souqs, and about 5 mins away from the famous Djeema El-Fna square.
As a solo female traveller, I felt safe amongst the busy souqs, and this riad provided a safe calm haven from the madness and craziness of the medina.

I always took my key out with me, which apparently meant that they couldn't service my rooms, but I always prefer this anyway. They may not have had a hospitality course before opening such business but it seemed that anything you asked for would have been dealt with asap.

A great intimate hotel that met with all my expectations. I would definitely recommend friends to stay there. But if you're one for big corporate chains, then this one's not for you.

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely with heating and air conditioning, but the roof terrace room (Safa room, where...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Bologna, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Enchanted by the pictures displayed on luxury-riads.com I've made my choice. And that was a mistake: the room I choose, Amira, was dark at every hour of day and night. No comment about the low energy lights: simply awful. Anyhow, as I asked the staff to replace them, they were changed immediately. The same trouble affects all the room at first floor: no natural lights and ugly low energy lights; the staff (really kind and polite) told me I could choose the room I loved the most but all of them were dark. The only Illuminated was the one on the terrace, already occupied. The rooftop terrace is so nice! delicious breakfast, freshly cooked.
Heating was great and hammam was cute.
Towels were replaced just once, after three days, and housekeeping just once (both after our request). I spent there 6 nights.
The uneven narrow streets to get to the Riad from the main street are deeply dark at night, to get a taxi it takes about 7/8 minute walk. Your bags on arrival can be carried by men with handcart at the beginning of the Medina.

Room Tip: Room Safa on terrace
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Leicester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed at the Riad in the Amira room over the August Bank Holiday and booked for a trip away to celebrate our first anniversary.

On first impressions we were worried as the transfer from the airport dropped us on the main road without explaining what was happening and we were then approached by locals who said they would show us to our Riad which was located down the narrow alleys/ streets in the middle of the souks. We visited during the month of Ramadhan and the streets were empty so we were a little concerned about our safety, however it turned out to be fine. The local walked us to the front of the Riad which we definitely would not have found without his help and we paid him a small token for his help.

On entering the Riad we were were taken back by the beauty and hospitatlity that we recieved. The housekeeper was very welcoming and treated us like very special guests. We were the only guests staying during our stay and the housekeeper could not be more accomodating.

On numerious occassions she or a member of her family personally showed us to the key areas to help us to find our way this was great and stopped the locals from pestering us.

The room was beautifully decorated and was very romantic, so we were very pleased with the experience.

We did not use the pool in the courtyard, but did venture up to the terrace. The Terrace looked like it hasn't been used for some time but it was still pleasant to sit up there for a few drinks.

In terms of location, the Riad is a few minutes walk from Cafe Arabe and a few minutes from the main square Jemma El Fna. You walk through the heart of the souks to get to the Riad, most of the time we felt safe but when very late at night there are sopme dark spots, but the locals seem friendly enough and did not bother us.

This is a perfect place if you are looking for a true Moroccon experience but if you are used to bigger hotels then this is not for you. The housekeeper was a credit to the Riad and made us feel very much at home.

We had breakfast included in the price and this was crepes, juice, coffees or Moroccon Tea, which was all lovely and the right amount in such scorching heat.

Overall we had a wonderful anniversary stay!

Room Tip: The Amira room was very beautiful
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Dar Kamar Zamane? Share your experiences!